What's new

Bangladesh Army

Whatever they do. Obsolete piece of shit won't hold anymore.
Can you just tell us why do you think these tanks are obsolete already? We are not USA, where many billions of dollars worth of old but otherwise good weapons are destroyed time to time because only then the new weapons can be inducted, which creates employment and allows disbursement/cycling of money by the govt. Texas deserts are full of these vantage (?) weapons that include jet planes, as well. Do you really want BD to follow this same US approach that will destroy us in no time?

Can you just tell us why do you think these tanks are obsolete already? We are not USA, where many billions of dollars worth of old but otherwise good weapons are destroyed time to time because only then the new weapons can be inducted, which creates employment and allows disbursement/cycling of money by the govt. Texas deserts are full of these vantage (?) weapons that include jet planes, as well. Do you really want BD to follow this same US approach that will destroy us in no time?
See I am not in a mood to argue... (Ramadan) I don't know much about naval warefare, weapons and tactics... but I have self thought myself on everything armored warfare.... in short.... these were obsolete decades back.... if you think a higher horse power engine which brings it back to original soviet specs of 60km/h top speed on pavement and 20 max on paddy ground and a higher caliber gun without modifying turret and chassis to counter balance and not sacrificing whatever sorts of reload mechanism employed or not (loader) and integrating new NBC suite which already came prepacked in all vehicles post t44... and integrating soft kill hard kill systems/ fire control system that are world class on par with something like a leopard 2 or t90 on a tank whose front hull RHA is 120mm and 80mm, 45 mm on sides and back respectively, coupled with turret whose front armor reaches a max of 200mm on some point and compost of 155 and 60mm on side and back.... which when coupled with few bricks of ERA that are actually competitive of kontakt 4 and has a RHA potential of 700mm.... you gotta be kidding me.
Modern tank guns on western and eastern design have already reached the capability of pen more than 1000mm of RHA... thanks to smoothbore and rifle gun development that was taken during Cold War. And newer guns are being developed to mount on existing system to counter future challenges.
Heck Even if the enemy uses basic anti tanks are able to pen em down easily....
Tank upgrades of these during 90s and 2000s for a service life of 10 more year possibly 20 which would have ended in 2020 made sense... however the same upgrades if expected to serve well into 2030 and beyond doesn't make sense. It seems like desperate acts pulled off by underfunded armies like North Korea....

I am no understanding of what you said was meant as sarcasm or what... !?
Simple, you have acquired a substantive theoretical knowledge about modern days MBT's. However Bangladesh Army has a dedicated Division known as ARTDOC,whose TOR and AOR is purely on the practical aspects of all Military hardware's, be these existing ones or new ones, undertaking Test and Trail, before induction.Regarding MBT's, a team of designated officers from the Armoured Corps, qualified technically and after conducting the overall Physical/field firing tests, would be in a position to pass judgement s on such issues with complete authority and confidence.

Last edited:
Simple, you have acquired a substantive theoretical knowledge about modern days MBT's. However Bangladesh Army has a dedicated Division known as ARTDOC,whose TOR and AOR is purely on the practical aspects of all Military hardware's, be these existing ones or new ones, undertaking Test and Trail, before induction.Regarding MBT's, a team of designated officers from the Armoured Corps, qualified technically and after conducting the overall Physical/field firing tests, would be in a position to pass judgement s on such issues with complete authority and confidence.
Well they've learnt from their mistakes haven't they? First with the hand held SAM and then with a full regiment of tanks...

My point is it's cheaper for the army to keep a force Atm upgrading these than buying new ones... the army can't afford to field huge numbers within the timeframe and buying what's up on offer atm on the market is actually a pretty bad idea... tank developments are going through new heights as we speak and although I say these tanks won't hold.... right now it's our only options and I am very unwilling to admit that even thought that's true.

Ps. Ever read works of Guderian for ex. Pretty handy to start your knowledge on tank warfare.... from the invention of tanks up to now....

Well they've learnt from their mistakes haven't they? First with the hand held SAM and then with a full regiment of tanks...

My point is it's cheaper for the army to keep a force Atm upgrading these than buying new ones... the army can't afford to field huge numbers within the timeframe and buying what's up on offer atm on the market is actually a pretty bad idea... tank developments are going through new heights as we speak and although I say these tanks won't hold.... right now it's our only options and I am very unwilling to admit that even thought that's true.
Integration of large nos of ATGM, yes I fully endorse your views,however we also need to keep in mind the latest version similar to Javelin, TOP hit fire and forget types, NOT wire guided of laser guided ones for our Infantry units,as in our densely populated and inhabited rural countryside, the actual Line of Sight (LOS) is rather constricted. Attack Helicopters with multiple hard-points capable of attaching various types of warheads, ATGM Armed UAV's would be the right choice.
No shame in accepting our drawbacks,that's why I always emphasize to gain the battle tested and hardened experiences from our friendly Muslim Nations.
Kindly recall the nasty experiments carried out on the type 62 light tanks also, destroying a full regiment of Italian NATO standard 105 mm man portable pack howitzers, a perfect artillery system for our Airborne units as well as for Counter Terrorism warfare in the Hilly terrains, on top of the MBT- 2000 and QW-2 MAN PADS.

Last edited:
Integration of large nos of ATGM, yes I fully endorse your views,however we also need to keep in mind the latest version similar to Javelin, TOP hit fire and forget types, NOT wire guided of laser guided ones for our Infantry units,as in our densely populated and inhabited rural countryside, the actual Line of Sight (LOS) is rather constricted. Attack Helicopters with multiple hard-points capable of attaching various types of warheads, ATGM Armed UAV's would be the right choice.
No shame in accepting our drawbacks,that's why I always emphasize to gain the battle tested and hardened experiences from our friendly Muslim Nations.
Kindly recall the nasty experiments carried out on the type 62 light tanks also, destroying a full regiment of Italian NATO standard 105 mm man portable pack howitzers, a perfect artillery system for our Airborne units as well as for Counter Terrorism warfare in the Hilly terrains, on top of the MBT- 2000 and QW-2 MAN PADS.
Actually top hitting ones like javelins doesn't even matter no more... it is just as effective as the normal ones... what I would like to see is the fire and forget variants which do on most part launch right up in the air to avoid obstacles.

I'm a bit of an ignorant..... what is a tank?.... what is it supposed to do?
It was conceived to be a support for infantry and nothing more..., with ww2 and guderian we learnt that wasn't the case as tanks formed the main spearhead supported by infantry. Tables turned and here we are....

In tank warfare you'll have to find the balance between technology and numbers.... and it's true in most cases including aerial warfare.

It was conceived to be a support for infantry and nothing more..., with ww2 and guderian we learnt that wasn't the case as tanks formed the main spearhead supported by infantry. Tables turned and here we are....

In tank warfare you'll have to find the balance between technology and numbers.... and it's true in most cases including aerial warfare.
How many tanks does Bangladesh have ?

No major significant changes since the induction of 44 X MBT-2000,except retro fitting and upgrading the existing Type-55 and 69.
Currently there are six Armoured regiments in our Armoured Corps, these are:
1.Bengal Cavalry,
2.9th Bengal Lancer,
3.12th Lancer,
4.6th Cavalry,
5.4th Horse
6.and 7th Horse.
Two more regiments, to be raised shortly.
Likely Equipment's:
MBT-2000 Main battle tank =44
Type 69-II Mk.2G Main battle tank =185
Type 69-II Main battle tank =290
Type 59 II Main battle tank= 90-264(300 more on order) (Both Type 59/59 II, are in the process of being upgraded.
A heavily modernized variant approaching 3rd-generation standards with a new welded turret similar to the Type 96 replacing the original cast turret and a 125 mm main gun with semi-automatic loader. In service with PLA and Upgrading by Bangladesh Army.
Around 300 Type 59 G or Type -59 AGM will be procuring and upgrading by the Bangladesh Army.)

T-54/55 Light Tank 122 (T-54s were ordered in 1973 from Egypt and delivered in 1975. T-55s were ordered in 1975 from Egypt and delivered in 1975 (the vehicles were previously in Egypt service). Modernized T-54s and T-55s with laser rangefinders and improved armor protection are currently in service)
BD tankable terrain.jpg

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom