What's new

Bangladesh Army raises new infantry division

Unlikely bro, theses is most prob a light infantry division based to the north, never been to the north of BD so can't say what the terrain is like, whether its conducive to armoured units or not. But they may receive a few, artillery, ATGW etc. the actual numbers should be around 14000 to about 15000.

Well, from what i know..our northern part is actually suitable to tank battles. So i wont be surprised if the 17th infantry gets heavy armoured equipments.

Also, saw a Otokar Cobra today in Dhanmondi 12A at a close view, being used by police. Looks a complete bada$$!

Cheers!!!

Well, from what i know..our northern part is actually suitable to tank battles. So i wont be surprised if the 17th infantry gets heavy armoured equipments.

Also, saw a Otokar Cobra today in Dhanmondi 12A at a close view, being used by police. Looks a complete bada$$!

Cheers!!!

Cheers my man, haven't visited up north yet. We have a few type mft-2000 that have recently been delivered, I know the original batch of 44 was to evaluate there suitability in Bangladeshi conditions. I think ideally we need to order at least another 160 of those mbts.

I would say place some Nora B-52s at the Jalalabad cantonment. Presence of artillery support would be good for the infantries.

Cheers!!!

Cheers my man, haven't visited up north yet. We have a few type mft-2000 that have recently been delivered, I know the original batch of 44 was to evaluate there suitability in Bangladeshi conditions. I think ideally we need to order at least another 160 of those mbts.

I havent visited north as well but know from sources. And ya, 44 is less but enough for a start. If they service well, we can expect more. But the recent news say nothing about tanks.

Everyone is gone gaga over the upcoming navy purchases! Secret strategy i tell you.. :P

Cheers!!!

I heard Bangladesh is procuring MTB-90 bridge layers. Those can be for the new infantry division. No valuable source though.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina formally launches the activities of 17-Padatik Division of Bangladesh Army at Sylhet Jalalabad Cantonment

1157689_635640656476920_1995210748_n.jpg

A new infantry division of Bangladesh Army commenced its formal journey here on Tuesday unveiling a new milestone on the way to implementation of the Forces Goal 2030, the development vision of Bangladesh Armed Forces.

At the function, the flags of the newly formed 360 Infantry Brigade and the 32 and 33 Bangladesh Infantry Regiments were also raised.

Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith hoisted the flag of the 360 Infantry Brigade, while Chief Whip of the Jatiya Sangsad Vice- Principal Abdus Shahid and Chief of Army Staff General Iqbal Karim Bhuiyan raised the flags of the 32 and 33 Bangladesh Infantry Regiments respectively.

Addressing a darbar arranged on the occasion, the Prime Minister said new infantry, armour, artillery, air defence and engineering units are being raised up to strengthen the Bangladesh Army according to Forces Goal-2030.

She said the present government after taking office in 2009, has taken all pragmatic measures for development of army. In this continuation, she said, the 17th Infantry Division, and one infantry brigade sadar and two infantry battalions are being launched.

Very soon, a new composite brigade would be established comprising two more infantry units and one engineering construction battalion, she said adding "this efforts of development will continue in future".

As part of the stride, Sheikh Hasina said, her government had established and reconstituted one infantry and one mixed brigade, specialized works organization (SWO), one armour regiment, three infantry units, two artillery units, one RE battalion, two ECB and one ST battalion for army.

In addition to that many important institutions like NDC, BIPSOT, AFMC, MIST and NCO's academy were established, she said adding Bangladesh Infantry Regimental Center was established newly for development of infantry regiment and bring dynamism.

The Prime Minister said sophisticated arms and ammunitions are being procured to enhance effectiveness of the army and turn it into a modern force of global standard. "Necessary reforms and reconstitution of Bangladesh Army will continue in future," she firmly said.

Bangladesh.gif

I am not sure that Sylhet is suitable for tanks as it is quite hilly region but will be happy to see those bad-boys in my home district if some are deployed there.:)

North-West of BD has flat terrain and is very suitable for tanks and that is where the majority of the eventual 2-300 MBT-2000 tanks will probably be based.

Unless BD has a good air-force an airborne division would be pointless as it would be shot down before it could deploy anywhere.

True and it's also too expensive for us to raise one. But the terrain to our north and east is almost inaccessible to regular infantry.

True and it's also too expensive for us to raise one. But the terrain to our north and east is almost inaccessible to regular infantry.

Should we not rather say that the enemy troops will find it very difficult to enter our north and east?

Back
Top Bottom