What's new

Bangladesh and India to jointly build $1.7 billion power plant

Guys why is there such a prominent Spilt between various members from Bangladesh. some of you are terming India as an eminent threat and others are happy to mention how you two are getting together. What is the story behind this tale?

Lucky for you pakistani is that all most all of you would hate bharati intervention and I apprecite your muslim nationalism(islamic culture and Heritage) that distance from bharat origin whearas a portion of so called fake bangladeshi would actually do not mind to rule or dictate by bharati. A Hereditary Genetically diluation substence that most likely won't go away from bd soil.

@al-zakir, idune - you two members are probably the most racist, foul mouthed members I have met on this forum. You bring religion, hindu dalals and various other stereotypes into your "arguments".
I suggest you grow up and learn some manners and put some logic into your posts instead of making immature statements that insult people who are elder to you.

That is just pure lie because, Bangladesh has enough expertise operating most power plants on its own including coal power plant in Boro pukuria. Besides, coal fired one is not fundamentally different from gas fired one.

Above all this is no excuse to give indian 50% stake on such strategic installation like power plant and operating control. By doing so india can easily disabled major power supply point when it need to force something on Bangladesh.

Here goes another post by idune -
Above all this is no excuse to give indian 50% stake on such strategic installation like power plant and operating control. By doing so india can easily disabled major power supply point when it need to force something on Bangladesh.

Disable power plants ? Are you on something ?
Btw read the original post carefully - the agreement is also about BD getting to import power from India. Also after BD is self sufficient it can export power to India.
"The international tender for setting up the power plant will be floated by July 2010 on completion of the study, with a target to complete the project within 48 months," said the power secretary
Can you not read - an international tender - who says India will construct the plant ?

Guys why is there such a prominent Spilt between various members from Bangladesh. some of you are terming India as an eminent threat and others are happy to mention how you two are getting together. What is the story behind this tale?

Majority of Bangladeshis believe in "I Love Bangladesh"- They are happy for every progress made by BD. They concentrate on their country Bangladesh

Minority ( idune & party ) believes in "I hate India"-They are unhappy for any good news regarding India ( No doubt they are always in sore mood as there are plenty of good vibes /news emmiting from India). They concentrate on India .BD comes second (or third - after Muslim umma) to them.

Hope this clarifies the Split in various B'Deshis.

Majority of Bangladeshis believe in "I Love Bangladesh"- They are happy for every progress made by BD. They concentrate on their country Bangladesh

Minority ( idune & party ) believes in "I hate India"-They are unhappy for any good news regarding India ( No doubt they are always in sore mood as there are plenty of good vibes /news emmiting from India). They concentrate on India .BD comes second (or third - after Muslim umma) to them.

Hope this clarifies the Split in various B'Deshis.

Idea, you are correct to certain extent in your post here but I would suggest we stop responding to people who want to flare up things with their narrow POV. Chill and let time be the teacher for the disillusioned.

I have met some level headed and good Bangladeshi members in this forum. I have had some constructive discussion about India BD relations. However, I have ignored those who go around with a chip on the forehead that says "I hate India". We Indians tend to further flare up by posting sarcastic posts like a couple above that will make this forum a **** hole. I think you have made your point and its no point wasting our time on such mindset.

BTW, you hit the nail on the head. :cheers:

I really could not understand why it is called BD-India joint venture when only a total of 50% equity will be held by the two governments. The remaining 50% of the share will be bought by the public (of the two countries) . If this project is not an outright India-financed project, then why India has to be involved in this project? BD alone can do it. It can sell shares in the market through stock exchange and hold the full ownership. If BD cannot afford a big plant, it can then build a smaller 500 mw project.

It seems by allowing Indian equity participation in this power plant, BD of Shaikh Hasina will allow Indian builders to do the construction works and supply the machineries without floating an international tender. I can smell corruption in both the countries' political level.

As far as I know, the cost to build, install and commission a power plant costs around $800,000 per megawatt. But, at $1.8 billion for a 1320 mw power plant means the cost per mw is $1,360,000 which is about 1.7 times more than normally estimated.

Another point to ponder is about the supply source of coal. Will the coal be supplied by India or it will be from our Dinajpur? There is no word on this vital matter by BD spokesman.

Yet, another point is Indian power experts would handle the day-to-day operation. It is totally unacceptable. Rather, if Indians really do have this kind of expertise then better we send our engineers, technicians and operators to an Indian coal-fired power plant to get training in their respective subjects.

I find this kind of deal is like the intrusion of a TROJAN HORSE into our land, that should not be allowed.

Sure... India will be more than happy if Bangladesh could build this power-plant by itself. But here is some reality check for you -

"Since NTPC has vast experience in running coal-fired power plants, we want to utilise that," he said.

The PDB chairman said the two organisations will have 50 percent stake each in the plant and 75-80 percent liquidity for the project will be managed through debt financing.

Dhaka, Delhi sign MoU

Your country has an installed capacity of just 5000 MW and if you guys think you have the expertise to build such massive power plants, then sure... go ahead and build one.

Secondly, Bangladesh is contributing 50% to this project's finances and even out of that, 75-80% is being raised through debt financing. That shows how much funds you have for such a project.

Thirdly, regarding your "1.7 times more than normal estimated" remark - Stop putting forward imaginary figures. Back it up with sources before you try to shower your knowledge here.

Fourthly, under this pact, India will also initially export 250 MW of power at Rs. 2 to 2.5. Try get a cheaper rate than this.

The Hindu : News / International : India-Bangladesh power plant deal

Fifthly, under this pact, India will also improve the efficiency of Bangladesh's existing power plants. Several of your country's power plants are more than 40 years old against the norm of 20 years.

MoU signed: India to help improve efficiency of old power plantsFE Report

India is sincerely trying to help a neighboring country with whom it shares thousands of miles long border and centuries old historic and cultural ties.

Unfortunately, Bangladesh still has idiotic, narrow-minded, pessimistic retards who are willing to sacrifice their country's progress so as to pacify religious extremists.

Last edited:
Sure... India will be more than happy if Bangladesh could build this power-plant by itself. But here is some reality check for you -

Dhaka, Delhi sign MoU

Your country has an installed capacity of just 5000 MW and if you guys think you have the expertise to build such massive power plants, then sure... go ahead and build one.

Secondly, Bangladesh is contributing 50% to this project's finances and even out of that, 75-80% is being raised through debt financing. That shows how much funds you have for such a project.

Thirdly, regarding your "1.7 times more than normal estimated" remark - Stop putting forward imaginary figures. Back it up with sources before you try to shower your knowledge here.

Fourthly, under this pact, India will also initially export 250 MW of power at Rs. 2 to 2.5. Try get a cheaper rate than this.

The Hindu : News / International : India-Bangladesh power plant deal

Fifthly, under this pact, India will also improve the efficiency of Bangladesh's existing power plants. Several of your country's power plants are more than 40 years old against the norm of 20 years.

MoU signed: India to help improve efficiency of old power plantsFE Report

India is sincerely trying to help a neighboring country with whom it shares thousands of miles long border and centuries old historic and cultural ties.

Unfortunately, Bangladesh still has idiotic, narrow-minded, pessimistic retards who are willing to sacrifice their country's progress so as to pacify religious extremists.

I am not an extremist nor I am a fundamentalist, but when it is the interest of my country, I must express my mind and say what ought to be said. BD does not have the manufacturing knowhow to build any of the machineries, that is for sure.

But, that deficiency does not warranat to give India the RIGHT TO OWN a part of the proposed power plant. Worse is the RIGHT TO OPERATE this plant by the Indians. There must be BD citizens at the top. If they do not have this capability, then a group must get training in India or in some other countries.

The basic problem in BD is that the govt controls the power sector. It should be transferred to the private sector. They will raise the necessary funds from their close contacts and the market. They will think of training their technicians and operators. It will be their headache. But, instead, BD govt of SH is going to plead to and please India. Tell me how it will help our country in the long run if we do not train our own manpower.

India helps BD when India-produced electricity is sold to us on an adhoc basis. But, building a power plant with Indian stake in it including its operations does not help BD at all.

Better you do not use rough words like 'idiotic' or 'narrow-minded', because it proves that you are the one who is an idiot so as not to understand a national economy. We just do not want Indian govt involvement in any of our sectors. If an Indian company wants to BID in the construction of a plant, it is okay. But, Indian govt getting operating right of a power plant is just not acceptable.

By the way, what is your objection about my analysis that the rough estimate for a power plant construction is about $0.8 million per megawatt? Do you have any other information that nullifies my assertion? May be this is the first time you are reading such a cost estimation, isn't it? This has perplexed you probably. Better you learn about cost estimation of power plants and then talk.

Don't you see that there will be a big dividend for the political people in both the countries if this project is built at $1.7 billion? SH will be the major beneficiary. Now, you will come with many other bla, bla and bla that I am ignorant and my mind is blocked with anti-Indian venom. You are a good joker. Learn before you criticize others.

A minor portion of Bangladeshis still dream of becoming Pakistan again. They forget that they will be exempt from standing for position as President or PM if they become part of the Pakistani nation again :coffee:
Here is a deal that I wanna throw at ya, IND would offer its Prime Ministership from the inhabitants of BD and Pakistan would just offer its empty land during the time of dire need. I guarantee that the 70% people would accept the offer of the later. Wanna have an unbiased, online vote?

Well i guess India will invest more than half of the 1.7billion dollars.In that case it is her right to look into the day to day operations of the plant.
The Board of Directors must be chaired by a BD citizen. This is the the normal practice. But, SH is doing an upside down job.

Let us not bother about detractors which will be there in any visionary engagements. Let us understand the positives :

1. Indians pay Rs 5.00 average per unit (you can validate) of electricity so the deal is possibly on cost basis (though my analysis shows it should be loss - we do project costing regularly).

2. India has lots of joint ventures in different sectors in India and outside. Generally the employees are more than 80% local (gradually built up). So this should provide good number of opportunities to eligible candidates.

3. The cooperation in this venture (whether successful or otherwise) will be a bench mark for other collaborations in future. We all hope it succeeds and leads to further economic growth for BD. This will reduce unemployment (we are also struggling and that is why we do not have enemies in economics) and reduce radicalization.

May be - may be not - it might rebuild the faith between two countries.

I am a bengali and have huge soft corner for Bangladesh and I fervently wish they succeed. Whatever way we can afford to help, we will definitely try.

:smitten: and :cheers:

But, that deficiency does not warranat to give India the RIGHT TO OWN a part of the proposed power plant. Worse is the RIGHT TO OPERATE this plant by the Indians. There must be BD citizens at the top. If they do not have this capability, then a group must get training in India or in some other countries.

:lol:

This is what happens when people can't read articles properly and come here with a heavy baggage of bias. Here... read this excerpt from a Bangladeshi article -

"...the NTPC will provide technical support to BPDB and training to officials here to generate electricity from newly proposed Khulna coal-based power plants."

The New Nation - Internet Edition

Besides, the plants are being built in Bangladesh. No where did I find any report indicating that the plants will be owned in its entirety by India. It just says that plants will be handled by India since Bangladesh lacks expertise and India will provide training to Bangladesh in this regard. That very well suggests that the management will also be under Bangladesh once it gets the expertise.

Better you do not use rough words like 'idiotic' or 'narrow-minded', because it proves that you are the one who is an idiot so as not to understand a national economy. We just do not want Indian govt involvement in any of our sectors. If an Indian company wants to BID in the construction of a plant, it is okay. But, Indian govt getting operating right of a power plant is just not acceptable.

OK... I won't use words like "idiotic". :)

But you using statements such as "We just do not want Indian govt involvement in any of our sectors" leaves me with no other option.

Do you object to the Government of India's forces involvement in 1971 liberation war? If yes... then I know where your loyalties lie.

By the way, what is your objection about my analysis that the rough estimate for a power plant construction is about $0.8 million per megawatt? Do you have any other information that nullifies my assertion? May be this is the first time you are reading such a cost estimation, isn't it? This has perplexed you probably. Better you learn about cost estimation of power plants and then talk.

Dude... I told you to give sources before you start arguing with me on this.

Now, its my turn -

300 MW coal fired plant for $1.1 billion -
Power plant cost to top $1 billion - JSOnline

800-900 MW coal fired plant for $1.35 billion -
EnBW, Swiss BKW detail German coal power plant plan | Reuters

1320 MW coal plant for $2.25 billion -
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091123-717083.html

2000MW coal plant for $4.8 billion (3.5 billion euro) -
FACTBOX - Major power projects in the Balkans - Forbes.com

4000MW coal plant complex for $7.3 billion (in your much adored China) -
Massive power plant set for Tangshan

FYI, a developing country like Vietnam too spends $1.2 million to build any MW of coal-fired generation capacity -
Vietnam Vinacomin plans two major coal power plants - Forbes.com

Now, tell me about you and your "cost estimation" knowledge. Perhaps you are living in 2005 when steel prices were much cheaper. :lol:

Don't you see that there will be a big dividend for the political people in both the countries if this project is built at $1.7 billion? SH will be the major beneficiary. Now, you will come with many other bla, bla and bla that I am ignorant and my mind is blocked with anti-Indian venom. You are a good joker. Learn before you criticize others.

Oh yes! I'm a good joker. Because I speak out of my @$$ without giving any sources and constantly make non-credible statements.

Thank you, come again!

Ruag you do not do yourself or your country any favour by using such words as “idiotic” I expect people to act a tad more mature, people in the sub continent have been living with decades of mistrust of each other and trust is not built overnight, please be more respectful even when people object to your views (rationally or irrationally from your prospective).

Think before you use such direct insults whether you’re trying to build bridges or break them down.

We do not know the exact conditions attached, to this project so I won’t comment on this matter until then, but in most cases a large portion of any projects tend to be pocketed by politicians, and India’s no different than Bangladesh in this (the concept of transparency is not well understood by crooked politicians).

In Bangladesh the private sector are not given an opportunity to finance such projects locally, not because they don’t have the expertise or funding, but because this would leave the politicians in the periphery in the decision making and hence reduce their chance to make a killing. But when contracts are initiated by state controlled entities then they are at the centre.

Add to this the nationalistic pride of us Bangladeshis, the lack of trust in India/Indians (and this is where you’re insults is counterproductive), makes us question any deal struck with India.

Look at it from a Bangladeshi perspective, would you allow Pakistan to build part own and manage a power plant in India, even if you were in such need?Before you say Pakistan/India relations is different from India/Bangladesh relations, sorry in BD a large chunk of the population view this in very much the same way, when it comes to trust where not there yet.

Last edited:
Well electricity is not going to fall from the sky, and whatever does fall you can't use it. So it has to come from somewhere. A 1320 mw plant is actually a more than a quarter of what BD produces. It is a huge project. Go ahead at full speed.

As for corruption, the level of dis-trust between the countries may abate it, unless crooks on both side decide to sc*ew each respective rear ends.

Soviet Union bought millions of tons of food grains from U.S during cold war. Russia has been supplying Europe with gas from the 80's. Europe bought gas even when Reagan was vehemently against it.

Chavez of Venezuala is still selling oil to U.S. The Citgo gas stations are up and running all over the U.S with no sign of going away. He still runs his mouth, and the U.S is still buying Oil. :usflag:

Patriotic Americans do their chest thumping about China, and after they are done with their war cries to save Taiwan, they go to Wal-Mart to buy Chinese stuff by the hundreads of billions. Even with Indias concerns about Chinese pearls, and 96 hour war strategy , they bought most of their stuff from China last year.

The interrnational reationships are not always linear. You gotta play ur cards right.

Its a dog-eat-dog world, may you be the top dog !!

Well electricity is not going to fall from the sky, and whatever does fall you can't use it. So it has to come from somewhere. A 1320 mw plant is actually a more than a quarter of what BD produces. It is a huge project. Go ahead at full speed.

As for corruption, the level of dis-trust between the countries may abate it, unless crooks on both side decide to sc*ew each respective rear ends.

Soviet Union bought millions of tons of food grains from U.S during cold war. Russia has been supplying Europe with gas from the 80's. Europe bought gas even when Reagan was vehemently against it.

Chavez of Venezuala is still selling oil to U.S. The Citgo gas stations are up and running all over the U.S with no sign of going away. He still runs his mouth, and the U.S is still buying Oil. :usflag:

Patriotic Americans do their chest thumping about China, and after they are done with their war cries to save Taiwan, they go to Wal-Mart to buy Chinese stuff by the hundreads of billions. Even with Indias concerns about Chinese pearls, and 96 hour war strategy , they bought most of their stuff from China last year.

The interrnational reationships are not always linear. You gotta play ur cards right.

Its a dog-eat-dog world, may you be the top dog !!

this is one of the few sensible post in the thread....THANK YOU

This is what happens when people can't read articles properly and come here with a heavy baggage of bias. Here... read this excerpt from a Bangladeshi article -

"...the NTPC will provide technical support to BPDB and training to officials here to generate electricity from newly proposeAnalysis of Clean Coal

d Khulna coal-based power plants.
"

The New Nation - Internet Edition

Besides, the plants are being built in Bangladesh. No where did I find any report indicating that the plants will be owned in its entirety by India. It just says that plants will be handled by India since Bangladesh lacks expertise and India will provide training to Bangladesh in this regard. That very well suggests that the management will also be under Bangladesh once it gets the expertise.

OK... I won't use words like "idiotic". :)

But you using statements such as "We just do not want Indian govt involvement in any of our sectors" leaves me with no other option.

Do you object to the Government of India's forces involvement in 1971 liberation war? If yes... then I know where your loyalties lie.

Dude... I told you to give sources before you start arguing with me on this.

Now, its my turn -

300 MW coal fired plant for $1.1 billion -
Power plant cost to top $1 billion - JSOnline

800-900 MW coal fired plant for $1.35 billion -
EnBW, Swiss BKW detail German coal power plant plan | Reuters

1320 MW coal plant for $2.25 billion -
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091123-717083.html

2000MW coal plant for $4.8 billion (3.5 billion euro) -
FACTBOX - Major power projects in the Balkans - Forbes.com

4000MW coal plant complex for $7.3 billion (in your much adored China) -
Massive power plant set for Tangshan

FYI, a developing country like Vietnam too spends $1.2 million to build any MW of coal-fired generation capacity -
Vietnam Vinacomin plans two major coal power plants - Forbes.com

Now, tell me about you and your "cost estimation" knowledge. Perhaps you are living in 2005 when steel prices were much cheaper. :lol:

Oh yes! I'm a good joker. Because I speak out of my @$$ without giving any sources and constantly make non-credible statements.

Thank you, come again!

Good to know that you are willing to challenge me with your shallow knowledge of (power) plant construction. You said about the rise of steel price for this increase. A very bad lie, isn't it?

I think you have intentionally posted some links which say of the price to build power plants that are fitted with very very COSTLY pollution-free machineries. Now, read the link below to know that even to build only a 275 mw pollution-free power plant may also cost $1.8 billion. .

The article I am sending and those you have posted say of only CLEAN ENERGY coal-fired power plants, but, India SURELY does not have that kind of technology. Therefore, it is safe to say that in the proposed plant in BD it will build a conventional coal-fired power station that will exhaust thousands of tons of carbon related pollution. Why do you think it should be that expensive?

The $0.8 million/megawatt figure that I have cited earlier is true even if it is built by a western country. For a poor country like India or BD, the labour costs are very low. Therefore, the per unit cost should be less than $0.8 million. So, a 1300 mw plant should cost less than $1 billion.

Moreover, considering the mindset of bigot Indians, it is also possible that they will dismantle an old power station, overhaul the machineries and erect these in BD. In that case, the cost may go down further.

Please read the article below to uplift your knowledge about power plants. Note that the pollution free technology is still to be perfected.

========================================================================================================

FutureGen Goes Up in Smoke... and Clean Coal Technologies Fail Again
By Jeff Siegel
Tuesday, February 5th, 2008

So it looks like the President's centerpiece for his strategy for Clean Coal technologies, FutureGen, has been shelved. The reason?

The project costs for the planned 275MW coal-fired plant had risen to $1.8 billion. And folks, that's just to build it. That doesn't even include the cost of the very resource it depends on to operate--coal.
If they were truly seeking cleaner energy, they could've just as easily pulled off a concentrating solar farm, delivering the same 275MW for roughly the same price.

Of course, that's just construction.

Once a concentrating solar power plant is built, the resource--the sun's rays--is inexhaustible, and free. Coal?

Well, figuring conservatively, we probably have about 30 years of that high-energy content coal left. (Learn more about peak coal.) And the FutureGen Alliance estimated the plant would use up to 1 million tons per year.

At a cost of $34.26 per ton (per the EIA's 2006 figures), you're looking at $34.26 million a year, or about $685 million over the course of 20 years (the average life most power plants, both renewable and non-renewable are given as a base measurement), assuming no price increase over the next two decades...which is not a safe assumption to make.

So now we're looking at a choice between $1.8 billion for the concentrating solar project, or almost $2.5 billion for the FutureGen project. But wait... there's more!

Cost: Clean Coal's Dirty Secret

The cost to transport heat from the sun is roughly $0.00 per year. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself). The cost to transport coal?

Since rail carries the majority of coal tonnage in the U.S., we'll look at the costs attributed to rail transport. According to the EIA, the average cost in 2005 was $11.68 per ton.

Multiply that by 1 million, and you're looking at about $11.68 million a year, or about $233.6 million over the course of 20 years.

This brings our total to roughly $2.719 billion for the "clean coal" plant. The price for the "always clean, never been dirty" 275MW concentrating solar plant is still about $1.8 billion-or about $919 million cheaper.

For that extra $919 million, you can build another 256MW concentrating solar power plant. Not a bad deal.

Clean Coal... Not So Clean After All

Consider the fact that even with a coal plant that doesn't emit CO2, such as the FutureGen Alliance claimed its plant would do, you still have the issues of mercury, sulfur dioxide emissions, and nitrogen oxide emissions.

Granted, the FutureGen Alliance claimed results that would lower emissions of mercury, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide. But by how much? Well, that's a piece of information we couldn't seem to get a straight answer on.

Either way, it's more than solar, wind or geothermal.

Now I'm not spouting off about this just because I'm unwilling to accept any type of power generation that pollutes as much as coal (complacency cannot be accepted, nor should it be tolerated with so much clean energy technology at our fingertips), but rather to draw your attention to an issue that will continue to be a major thorn in the side of those that champion coal-fired power generation.

Perhaps you remember last year when the American Electric Power company agreed to a $4.6 billion settlement over pollution controls. They now have to shell out a wad of cash to make improvements that will reduce--not eliminate--the plant's sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide emissions.

Just one more thing to consider when analyzing the future growth prospects of both proven renewable energy technologies and unproven non-renewable technologies.

Coal ain't clean folks...even if they put the two words together on a press release.

And until they can prove it, just like the solar, wind and geothermal industries have proven their technologies to be effective and competitive on a level playing field, our skepticism will remain strong. As it should be when it comes to any investment.

And as a side note, Citigroup, JP Morgan, and Morgan Stanley all announced on Monday they will now set environmental standards that factor in risks posed by carbon-emissions when lending to power companies that seek to build coal-fire power plants.

And another nail is hammered in. Invest appropriately.

To a new way of life, and a new generation of wealth...

Last edited:
It just says that plants will be handled by India since Bangladesh lacks expertise and India will provide training to Bangladesh in this regard. That very well suggests that the management will also be under Bangladesh once it gets the expertise.

Just noticed this old post - and had to comment on this.

With respect to the technically adept (especially EE degree holder) Indians here, Bangladesh has been 'handling and operating' coal-fired DC current power generation plants (British Machinery) since the 1930's in Dhaka. Coal as a polluting power source quickly became 'de rigeur' back in the 50's and there has been no coal-powered generating plant in Bangladesh since. However all electrical power generation-plants operating in Bangladesh whether state owned (up to 350 MW I think - I could be wrong) or private sector (mostly barge mounted units up to 200~300 MW each) are owned and operated by Bangladeshi management and engineers.

As of May 2014 Bangladesh has 63 power generation plants with a commissioned capacity of about 4,915 MW, 33 under construction plants with a capacity of 6,986 MW and 22 projects under tendering process with a capacity of about 5,272 MW.

http://www.bpdb.gov.bd/bpdb/images/Planning/Project List 20.01.2013.pdf

All these plants (mostly gas, some coal) were all planned, built, configured and operated locally by Bangladeshi Engineers since the 1950's. Ashuganj, Bheramara, and a whole host of (scores of) other power stations around the country were built during the 1960's - all set up by local engineers and by BPDB after technology TOT. Equipment came mostly from US, UK, Germany, France, Russia and in one case Skoda from Czechoslovakia. Today HV switchgear, transmission towers, insulators, very large transformers are all made locally. Ditto with chemical piping and process equipment. Grids were all planned locally from back in the 1940's. Honestly what the heck do some Indian journalists know about Bangladesh?? Bangladesh will not need to manufacture large generators because it won't make sense considering economies of scale.

There was no involvement by third world countries at any stage in building power generation plants in Bangladesh (except Raozan in CTG back in the late 80's which was built by the Chinese). Later in the 90's the electricity sector was opened up to private sector. Bangladesh implemented Rural electric cooperatives (Palli Biddutayan Prakalpa) in the early 70's modeled after the US cooperatives, way before India. The rate of rural electrification in Bangladesh far exceeded that of India's at that time. Of course Bangladesh remains a smaller country which made it easy. I knew the people who were involved.

And Gas is plentiful in Bangladesh, there is absolutely no need for coal-fired plants. Mati futa korlei gas bahir hoy to Koilar darkar ki?? I am also frankly puzzled where this story of,

"plants will be handled by India since Bangladesh lacks expertise and India will provide training to Bangladesh in this regard.."

come from :lol:. No offense but seems to be some hack Indian journalist's imaginary idea of lack of progress in Bangladesh.

Please read the following about how the plant is going to destroy the Sundarbans sensitive eco-system. Bad choice of location IMHO.

Rampal Power Station (Proposed) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also - I think some members here are unaware of Bangladeshi capabilities in the power sector. We really don't need Indian help -- friendly though it maybe. Thanks but no Thanks. And the last thing we need are coal plants.

Electricity sector in Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are plenty of Bangladeshi commercial groups getting into power generation business. We should give them a leg up first. I am 100% certain that if ORION Group (which has set up the 'chhota mota' local power generation plant in Bangladesh seen below), would not get even a snowball's chance in hell if they went to India and tried to set up a power generation plant with 50% equity and wanted to control the board with majority stakes. C'mon - fair's fair, think about it.

1024px-ORION_Group_constructed_two_100_MW_HFO_based_powerplant._in_due_time_and_is_supplying_the_national_grid..jpg

Power plant in Bangladesh

ORION GROUP recognizes the challenges the country faces to meet the acute power crisis and to deliver reliable and dependable electricity at affordable prices. Realizing this need, ORION has extensively focused on investments in Power Generation and Energy sectors through major investment undertakings and significantly contributed to the country’s national economy's stability through the right business to business strategy. Orion has already completed 2 units of 100MW each HFO based Power Plants and is distributing to the national grid on a regular basis. Another 100MW HFO based Plant is under construction and about 1200 MW Coal Fired Power Plants are down the pipeline. With these, ORION hopes to become the pioneer in private sector of the country.IEL Consortium & Associates Ltd. IEL has completed implementation of a 100 MW HFO Power based Plant on quick rental basis in Meghnaghat, Dhaka with machineries and equipment supplied by Wartsila OY, Finland. The construction was completed in a record time of just 9 months with brand new machine. The generated output of 105 MW is regularly supplied to the national grid. The financing of the project has been raised locally.

See link below,
Consortium

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom