What's new

Bangladesh Airforce inviting tender for 8 MRCA

So if they try to harm us shouldn't we defend ourselve?

We aren't aggressive anyway (you can judge it by yourself). Like China we just want to prosper...
Yes.
Money is the base of everything.

BD is a peaceful country, all Chinese know.
But the Bengal Tiger is a very fierce big cat .

@gambit does country sale top of line system to others like BD or water down one? Your opinion is needed.
To a country like BD ? Sorry to any BD forum members, but no.

We are not talking about rifles or even tanks here. A major weapon system like air defense missiles or jet fighters, you sell the best only if that country have some geopolitical value to you, either now or anticipated, and that relationship is expected to be long term. We sold the F-14 to Iran under the Shah, remember ?

True but as far as my memory goes there are no Chinese naval instructors deployed on the 2 Ming class subs you have received.
For eg. when India received the INS Vikramaditya, Russian navy personnel were actively deployed in the ship in our service for 1 year. The same is being speculated for the Arihant.
I don't remember this being a case were Chinese sailors are deployed on Bangladeshi vessels. In harbors and ports yes but not on ships.
Perhaps a Chinese member here can corroborate.

As far as maintenance goes it is the cost of transferring the overhaul facilities of the J7s to J10s which i'm talking about. Setting up new equipment and retraining ground crew to work on a new air frame is perhaps the longest and a pretty expensive hurdle to cross before achieving the full potential of a new fighter deployment.

Lastly for the MRCA I am predicting a Mig35 vs. J10 clash. Mig35 because BAF already has maintenance expertise and infrastructure with the Mig29 which will bring down life cycle costs of the Mig35.
Why BAF Induct two types of twin engine fighter from the same country? It doesn't make sense. I would rather go for Su30 and J10b combination.

To a country like BD ? Sorry to any BD forum members, but no.

We are not talking about rifles or even tanks here. A major weapon system like air defense missiles or jet fighters, you sell the best only if that country have some geopolitical value to you, either now or anticipated, and that relationship is expected to be long term. We sold the F-14 to Iran under the Shah, remember ?
We always give our best we can export to Pakistan and give the second best to BD. Actually J10b/c is the most popular fighter in Chinese military fans heart. Both are of very geopolitical importance.

there are no Chinese naval instructors deployed on the 2 Ming class subs you have received.
For eg. when India received the INS Vikramaditya, Russian navy personnel were actively deployed in the ship in our service for 1 year. The same is being speculated for the Arihant.
I don't remember this being a case were Chinese sailors are deployed on Bangladeshi vessels. In harbors and ports yes but not on ships.
Perhaps a Chinese member here can corroborate.
There is Chinese presenence, navy just doesn't tell that publicly.

As far as maintenance goes it is the cost of transferring the overhaul facilities of the J7s to J10s which i'm talking about. Setting up new equipment and retraining ground crew to work on a new air frame is perhaps the longest and a pretty expensive hurdle to cross before achieving the full potential of a new fighter deployment.

Mig 29 is almost 5 times more costly to maintain than F 7. And even then our investment in mig support is almost next to nothing. We had to ship them to Ukraine to do regular overhaul, engines too. There was an tender on that just last month.
if J 10 cuts the maintainance cost just by 30-35 percent of mig, it's an wise investment.

Lastly for the MRCA I am predicting a Mig35 vs. J10 clash. Mig35 because BAF already has maintenance expertise and infrastructure with the Mig29 which will bring down life cycle costs of the Mig35
There is no prediction needed. BAF doesn't see it as role issue, they see it as a engine number issue. In their book every fighter they induct has to be multirole. What matters is single engine & double engine. Due to similarities of engine between Su 30, J 10 B it's almost a done deal. As I explained if these cuts the overall regular cost by 30 percent, the extra investment will be paid of just very nicely.

Idealistically J10/Su30 will be the more efficient combination but budgetary concerns might push BAF towards Mig35 because the cash starved Russians are marketing it for cheap and BAF already has some supporting infrastructure due to its Mig29 inventory which will further reduce operational costs.
There is no such competition as I explained already. BAF don't go on buying thing without arranging fund, no air force does that. Where do you get these "cash starved" thing from? Does BAF's recent procurement says anything of cash starvation? :lol: It's not some African country you are talking about.

And it's not like we are buying 50 at a time. The first batch will be 14, delivered in some three years, rest will come in much smaller batches. It will take atleast 8 years to finish the delivery of three squadron. So coupled with friendly price, easy termed Chinese credit BAF affords them just fine.

Last edited:
Those who don't know to distinguish defence needs from feeding or the proper budgetary allocation for defense or food programmes shouldn't speak without knowledge.

Our problem with China isn't ideological. We don't care if they are communist or atheist or not. It is geographic in nature. That's all.

Your issue with Myanmar is quasi-religious and demography oriented which is loosely tied to ideology.

The possibility of a war between the first two is much more remote than you and Myanmar.
Your problem with china is for china being an ally of Pakistan. And i don't see threat coming from china for India over the South China Sea. It's just a useless proxy war tactics

Give me a legitimate source (official news/govt.) and then I will believe it.
:lol:

The real cost is not during the maintenance but while you are setting up new maintenance hubs and retraining ground crew. In this regard the Mig29 infrastructure can cut costs if Mig35 is bought.
There is next to no infrastructure for mig 29. We have very few techies on mig. And that's something I have seen myself. So whether we go for mig or another plane, we will still be investing a considerable amount.

And I should have clarified better in last post. What I wanted to say is, if maintainance cost reduces by a fraction, the initial large investment to setup support infrastructure will pay off nicely. So overall investment won't be thar much of an issue.

Please read my post again I said that the Russians are cash starved not Banglades
Sorry for that.

As I and others have said in this thread before there there is no official confirmation of the deal from either side. It may be in the pipeline but lets wait before deciding on delivery dates.

And I said that in a another thread too.So I agree. I am just trying to discuss pros & cons of such induction with you since you seem to be a good person for that. :-)

Last edited:
There are no Chinese presence in bd. What nonsense... if there was you think India would be this nice to us to get the defence deal signed?
I remember 10 years ago when modernization drive was being planned. Bd dismissed the idea of foreign military base or power to be sheltered in bd.

Idealistically J10/Su30 will be the more efficient combination but budgetary concerns might push BAF towards Mig35 because the cash starved Russians are marketing it for cheap and BAF already has some supporting infrastructure due to its Mig29 inventory which will further reduce operational costs.
The key cons of MiG-29 and its variants with a nickname of "the protector of airport" is its short leg which is too unsatisfying even as a frontline fighter.
In addition, Mig bureau is struggling to survive due to bad sales record, which means they lack of money to modify and improve Mig-29 continuously
In contrast, Suhoi could afford designing a series of Su-27 variants for different customers, which means their technical capability of designing and manufacturing would keep up with the evolution of technology.
CAC is even more loaded than Suhoi ,cause its main customer is second rich in the world.
It's reasonable that CAC would modify J-10B with latest technology for BAF in the future.

Since the Mig failed engaging in the fifth generation fighter of Russia, i am very worried about their survival.

Last edited:
BecUse era had had a good relation with parvez and they were friends and colleagues before.
Fighters send by Pakistan was destroyed in cyclone along with Bangladeshi ones... we had basically nothing... nada!

don't babble about something you do not know about.

@monitor
other than living in speculation bubble, do you have any other proof that "Bangladesh" buying SU30. Or you are just publicizing cover up propaganda for post sold out treaty with india?

don't babble about something you do not know about.

@monitor
other than living in speculation bubble, do you have any other proof that "Bangladesh" buying SU30. Or you are just publicizing cover up propaganda for post sold out treaty with india?
Dude don't act over smart... pt-6s gifted by Pakistan laid in ruins in flood water after the cyclone... none repairable... we were left with only mig 21s which were retired and had to be reintroduced to the service and finally retired in 1999. I don't talk about things I'm not sure about.

Back
Top Bottom