What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Ah yes, impressive but I am not as convinced as before that it matches capabilities of anything like the f16 block 70... 60/62 at most
This is why J-10C is called MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) and F-16 MRCA. An air force requires different types of planes for different roles. BAF can purchase both the type if it has the budget allocations. 16 units of J-10C and 16 F-16 Block 70/72. It will be a good combination when mixed with BAF's J-7 and Mig-29 planes.

This is why J-10C is called MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) and F-16 MRCA. An air force requires different types of planes for different roles. BAF can purchase both the type if it has the budget allocations. 16 units of J-10C and 16 F-16 Block 70/72. It will be a good combination when mixed with BAF's J-7 and Mig-29 planes.
i will prefer f-16 block 70/72 over j-10c.

Just wondering guys why wouldn't Bangladesh consider Gripen E for BAF? Relatively inexpensive, low maintenance, top class EW and avionics, Meteor?

Note: If already discussed before pardon my ignorance and ignore it.

Just wondering guys why wouldn't Bangladesh consider Gripen E for BAF? Relatively inexpensive, low maintenance, top class EW and avionics, Meteor?

BAF already vented the Gripen option. They wanted the C/D Gripens. But SAAB offered them E/F. If we consider E/F Gripens, with that price tag they have little advantage over F 16 Block 60 or Super Hornets.

BAF already vented the Gripen option. They wanted the C/D Gripens. But SAAB offered them E/F. If we consider E/F Gripens, with that price tag they have little advantage over F 16 Block 60 or Super Hornets.

This is interesting.

Gripen E may be expensive at 80 million US dollar per plane but it is extremely cheap to operate.

I would much rather BAF operate Gripen Es than F-16 Block 60 or Superhornets due to performance and cost reasons.

However I think USA would have vetoed it as they want BD to buy USA fighters.

Counter in raffles with them? I don’t think so

1.BD needs a rock solid supplier against India and only China fits the bill.

2.In China-Thai exercises last year, J-10C destroyed the Gripen Cs.

Remember Chinese technology is progressing faster than that of the West. In 10 years time any J-10Cs that BD has can always be upgraded with a new radar and electronics.

1.BD needs a rock solid supplier against India and only China fits the bill.

2.In China-Thai exercises last year, J-10C destroyed the Gripen Cs.

Remember Chinese technology is progressing faster than that of the West. In 10 years time any J-10Cs that BD has can always be upgraded with a new radar and electronics.
Fitted with AESA, J-10C is already a strong plane.

Fitted with AESA, J-10C is already a strong plane.

Let us not forget the PL-15 missile that can match any US or European missile in long-range air-to-air combat.

We need to remember that J-10C's radar and electronics were derived from the billions that China spent on developing their 5th generation J-20 fighter.

I have read reports that each plane only costs 40 million US dollars(half that of F-16 Block 70/72 or Gripen) and so BAF can afford to buy them in numbers.

I thought it was the other way around

I'd be willing to believe the Chinese media because of a few reasons.

1. J-10CE (export version) uses much more advanced AESA radar and the glass cockpit is more advanced and can achieve lock-on to the Gripens way earlier than the Gripen C/Ds can. Now Gripen E/F situation I have no idea. By the way it is common knowledge that the older F-16's in Thai inventory are even lower-rung than their Gripens electronics wise.

2. Aerodynamically J-10CE's use a front set of canards which afford very maneuverable set of movements at all above-stall speeds - much more so than the Gripens.

3. Like @UKBengali bhai mentioned - PL-15 missile launch capability is a big consideration.

4. Americans were not pleased with the Thais considering the J-10 (or any other Chinese fighter for that matter). It is understandable that by buying these J-10's (which are half the cost of the Gripen C/D's), Thailand is getting a way better bargain than the Gripens, powered with American jet engines. Bye bye dependency on uncle Sam. And there goes the American influence in the Asia Pacific neighborhood, one-by-one. In fact China might even sweeten the deal further by offering a 'friendship price'. We could be 'swung' by that kind of thing too. :lol:

What is the source of this?
Gripen is the cheapest to operate and quite modular.

Gripen is perfect for BAF.
The procurement stalemate has more to do with BAF's thumb-twiddling.

Not directly about BAF but the article gives an idea of the costs involved for 16 Block 70/72.

Keep in mind this is a repeat buy for the F-16 so the costs will reflect that.

https://www.janes.com/article/93267/lm-begins-f-16v-production-for-bahrain

LM begins F-16V production for Bahrain
Gareth Jennings, London - Jane's Defence Weekly
18 December 2019

p1743084_main.jpg

Shaikh Abdullah bin Rashed Al Khalifa, ambassador of the Kingdom of Bahrain to the United States, visited Lockheed Martin’s production line in Greenville to mark to start of the country’s contract for 16 new-build F-16Vs. Source: Lockheed Martin
Lockheed Martin has begun production of 16 F-16V Block 70/72 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft for Bahrain, the company announced on 17 December.

The event was marked by a visit to the production facility at Greenville, South Carolina, by Shaikh Abdullah bin Rashed Al Khalifa, ambassador of the Kingdom of Bahrain to the United States.

In June 2018, Bahrain became the launch customer for the F-16V when it signed a USD 1.12-billion contract for 16 new aircraft. The Royal Bahraini Air Force (RBAF) will also upgrade its 20 Block 40 F-16C/D aircraft to this latest standard to make a total fleet of 36 F-16V aircraft.

As the most up-to-date version of the Fighting Falcon, the F-16V features the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-83 active electronically scanned array radar (derived from the F-16E/F Block 60 AN/APG-80 and also known as the Scalable Agile Beam Radar), a new Raytheon mission computer, the Link 16 datalink, modern cockpit displays, an enhanced electronic warfare system, and a ground-collision avoidance system.

Not directly about BAF but the article gives an idea of the costs involved for 16 Block 70/72.

Keep in mind this is a repeat buy for the F-16 so the costs will reflect that.

https://www.janes.com/article/93267/lm-begins-f-16v-production-for-bahrain

LM begins F-16V production for Bahrain
Gareth Jennings, London - Jane's Defence Weekly
18 December 2019

p1743084_main.jpg

Shaikh Abdullah bin Rashed Al Khalifa, ambassador of the Kingdom of Bahrain to the United States, visited Lockheed Martin’s production line in Greenville to mark to start of the country’s contract for 16 new-build F-16Vs. Source: Lockheed Martin
Lockheed Martin has begun production of 16 F-16V Block 70/72 Fighting Falcon combat aircraft for Bahrain, the company announced on 17 December.

The event was marked by a visit to the production facility at Greenville, South Carolina, by Shaikh Abdullah bin Rashed Al Khalifa, ambassador of the Kingdom of Bahrain to the United States.

In June 2018, Bahrain became the launch customer for the F-16V when it signed a USD 1.12-billion contract for 16 new aircraft. The Royal Bahraini Air Force (RBAF) will also upgrade its 20 Block 40 F-16C/D aircraft to this latest standard to make a total fleet of 36 F-16V aircraft.

As the most up-to-date version of the Fighting Falcon, the F-16V features the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-83 active electronically scanned array radar (derived from the F-16E/F Block 60 AN/APG-80 and also known as the Scalable Agile Beam Radar), a new Raytheon mission computer, the Link 16 datalink, modern cockpit displays, an enhanced electronic warfare system, and a ground-collision avoidance system.

Calculating the price mentioned in the article the unit cost of F-16V is $70M a piece. $15M cheaper than Gripen E which costs $85M a piece. Well it's a great option for BAF although the maintenance and operating costs will be higher than Gripen. US might refuse to sell the engine for Gripen if BAF actually opted for it since they are openly stating the interest of selling their own platforms to BD.
The only question remains is the armaments that will be made available if BAF decides go for F-16V.....

Back
Top Bottom