What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

This is not badmouthing GoB, it is pointing out the incompetency of the parties involved. Tsunami is underwatr eathquake caused which we still cannot detect. We can hurricanes and cyclones.

Im not an idiot, speak for yourself.

:-)
i am almost certain than govt of India did not have technology to predict the movement and extent of damage a cyclone can cause(during that period). We saw devastating cyclone in east in 99 and tsunami in 2004.
Now its much better tracked and people are evacuated.

Not sure about bangladesh though.

Are you seriously thinking it was a blunder to separate from Pakistan?

The old Pakistan was never going to work to start off with due to geography. There were two wings of equal population with 1000 miles of hostile India separating them. Also, West Pakistanis had a superiority complex and would never rightly allow the dominant Bengalis to run the country.

Look at the state of Pakistan now, with extreme instability and poor economic growth and the relative stability and much higher levels of growth that BD is experiencing and you can see who is better off.

All we need is for the Awami League to be kicked out, new government to take BD relations with China much closer and then BD will have true independence and development.

BD is much better off having separated from Pakistan.

I will believe that the separation was wise only when I see Bangladesh can successfully face Indian threat by:
- getting fair share of water from all common rivers
- getting close to China, ie a full mutual defense treaty and Chinese naval bases in Bangladesh soil
- perhaps develop nuclear power sector and as a result master technology to develop deterrence if needed like Japan and South Korea

What you should note, the Pakistan you are dissing have already done all of the above. They have Indus water treaty, they have Gwadar which has been handed to China and will probably become a Chinese naval base in the future and obviously they have developed nuclear power sector and have a full deterrence, the only one among all Muslim countries of the world. So, yes, looking at these vital strategic factors, it was better that we did not separate in 1971 regardless of some abuse by them (note how many political killing there was before March 1971?). Till we can show that we have done better than them, we have no reason to celebrate our separation or think that we did a good thing.

From the results I see so far, Bangladesh as a country and people has shown themselves to be inferior in all respects to Pakistani people and country, so I would even venture to say that their feeling of superiority was indeed justified and we should have stayed under their supervision and protection. The terrorism problem is a direct by product of the CIA sponsored Afghan Jihad, it will go away in a decade in my estimate.

Note also, if we did not separate, Pakistan and China was cooperating to make North East states independent and they probably would become independent if 1971 war did not take place. That would have been our greatest strategic relief for perpetuity.

So looking at all these, I can say conclusively that creation of Bangladesh was a mistake. But having said that, I also believe, after what happened in 1971, it is not possible to go back to the past. We have Bangladesh as a reality and we should try to make the best of what we have.

And I am not particularly hung up about Awami League vs BNP/Jamat. If Awami League can use their survival instinct and embrace China before BNP/Jamat, I will support Awami League in that case, as that is good for the future of Bangladesh. I have also lost my confidence on democratic system in poor illiterate country like Bangladesh. I want to see a strong force, even if dictatorial, that is fully allied with China and can become an extension of PLA. Whoever among the political parties, is able to forge a strong alliance with China, will get my vote of confidence.

I will believe that the separation was wise only when I see Bangladesh can successfully face Indian threat by:
- getting close to China, ie a full mutual defense treaty and Chinese naval bases in Bangladesh soil
- perhaps develop nuclear power sector and as a result master technology to develop deterrence if needed like Japan and South Korea

What you should note, the Pakistan you are dissing have already done all of the above. They have Indus water treaty, they have Gwadar which has been handed to China and will probably become a Chinese naval base in the future and obviously they have developed nuclear power sector and have a full deterrence, the only one among all Muslim countries of the world. So, yes, looking at these vital strategic factors, it was better that we did not separate in 1971 regardless of some abuse by them (note how many political killing there was before March 1971?). Till we can show that we have done better than them, we have no reason to celebrate our separation or think that we did a good thing.

From the results I see so far, Bangladesh as a country and people has shown themselves to be inferior in all respects to Pakistani people and country, so I would even venture to say that their feeling of superiority was indeed justified and we should have stayed under their supervision and protection. The terrorism problem is a direct by product of the CIA sponsored Afghan Jihad, it will go away in a decade in my estimate.

Note also, if we did not separate, Pakistan and China was cooperating to make North East states independent and they probably would become independent if 1971 war did not take place. That would have been our greatest strategic relief for perpetuity.

So looking at all these, I can say conclusively that creation of Bangladesh was a mistake. But having said that, I also believe, after what happened in 1971, it is not possible to go back to the past. We have Bangladesh as a reality and we should try to make the best of what we have.

And I am not particularly hung up about Awami League vs BNP/Jamat. If Awami League can use their survival instinct and embrace China before BNP/Jamat, I will support Awami League in that case, as that is good for the future of Bangladesh. I have also lost my confidence on democratic system in poor illiterate country like Bangladesh. I want to see a strong force, even if dictatorial, that is fully allied with China and can become an extension of PLA. Whoever among the political parties, is able to forge a strong alliance with China, will get my vote of confidence.

Despite all of the above, a Pakistani even today is more likely to stand up for a Bangladeshi than for an Indian (even Muslim Indians)

Despite all of the above, a Pakistani even today is more likely to stand up for a Bangladeshi than for an Indian (even Muslim Indians)

It is fascinating to see Bangladeshis vying for foreign powers to set up mil bases in their homeland.... I am not sure if they are aware of the price it comes with...

Really, Pakistan doing better than BD?

The gap is GDP/capita is closing as we speak. Despite the political situation, GDP in BD is growing at a strong 6% a year. Once China eliminates all Indian influence in BD(say 2025 when China reaches a level where it is considered to be a peer of US), BD will be free to chart it's own course. China will free South Asia of this Indian menace once and for all.

BD did not really have as much freedom as Pakistan did in 1971 to completely separate from India. BD was in a very poor situation economically and militarily mainly due to the deliberate neglect from Pakistan. In a normal country BD would have had a similar GDP/capita and similar military strength as Pakistan in 1971 but it did not.

It had no military to speak of and was desperately poor. There simply was not the funds to either build a credible military or carry out large infrastructure projects.Now there is but we have the Awami League puppets in power so it is not going to happen.

As an example to back up my point with funds for infrastructure, BD has much lower levels of debt than either Pakistan or India - BD has government debt of 18% of GDP whereas the other two are at around the 70% mark. BD could easily raise 10s of billions for many infrastructure project in the next 5 years if it wanted to but for that you need a government free of foreign interference.

With the military, defence as proportion of GDP is a paltry 2% and again could easily be raised to 3% without affecting poverty or the wider economy.

Only thing holding back BD is Indian influence. Allow this to be completely eliminated and see how much BD can progress as a unitary state and not as part of a nation with many other ethnicities that will only hold it back.

Really, Pakistan doing better than BD?

The gap is GDP/capita is closing as we speak. Despite the political situation, GDP in BD is growing at a strong 6% a year. Once China eliminates all Indian influence in BD(say 2025 when China reaches a level where it is considered to be a peer of US), BD will be free to chart it's own course. China will free South Asia of this Indian menace once and for all.

BD did not really have as much freedom as Pakistan did in 1971 to completely separate from India. BD was in a very poor situation economically and militarily mainly due to the deliberate neglect from Pakistan. In a normal country BD would have had a similar GDP/capita and similar military strength as Pakistan in 1971 but it did not.

It had no military to speak of and was desperately poor. There simply was not the funds to either build a credible military or carry out large infrastructure projects.Now there is but we have the Awami League puppets in power so it is not going to happen.

As an example to back up my point with funds for infrastructure, BD has much lower levels of debt than either Pakistan or India - BD has government debt of 18% of GDP whereas the other two are at around the 70% mark. BD could easily raise 10s of billions for many infrastructure project in the next 5 years if it wanted to but for that you need a government free of foreign interference.

With the military, defence as proportion of GDP is a paltry 2% and again could easily be raised to 3% without affecting poverty or the wider economy.

Only thing holding back BD is Indian influence. Allow this to be completely eliminated and see how much BD can progress as a unitary state and not as part of a nation with many other ethnicities that will only hold it back.

I wish I could share your optimism about Bangladesh. Lets just hope that we can throw out Indian influence and build a strong alliance with China.

Are you seriously thinking it was a blunder to separate from Pakistan?

The old Pakistan was never going to work to start off with due to geography. There were two wings of equal population with 1000 miles of hostile India separating them. Also, West Pakistanis had a superiority complex and would never rightly allow the dominant Bengalis to run the country.

Look at the state of Pakistan now, with extreme instability and poor economic growth and the relative stability and much higher levels of growth that BD is experiencing and you can see who is better off.

All we need is for the Awami League to be kicked out, new government to take BD relations with China much closer and then BD will have true independence and development.

BD is much better off having separated from Pakistan.

You do realize that Pakistan has an Afghanistan to deal with that has remained destabilized for the past 3 decades, an India that is ever belligerent and an Iran that when it isn't engaging in a turf war with the Arabs in every Muslim Country then is having a go at the US - making the region extremely....extremely unstable to say the least.

And when nearly 58% of Bangladeshis (the highest in South-Asia) are living in multi-dimensional poverty according to the UNDP Human Development Report of 2013, when Bangladesh's GDP is less than half ours, when your GDP per Capita is less than ours, when the underweight children in Bangladesh as a percentage of all children under 5 is more than ours, when Youth Unemployment is more than ours and when the income inequality in Bangladesh is worse than ours - I don't understand what causes you to issue a disparaging comment about Pakistan's State when you're in the same or worst condition as we are.....if you don't believe me you can always ask nearly 2 million illegal Bangladeshis in Pakistan !

And by the way this is despite us fighting an insurgency for the better of the last 3 decades on our Western Border and a State of Constant Mobilization on our Eastern Border - None of which you had to contend to !

The only thing that I agree with is that we too are glad that East-Pakistan is Bangladesh now - Good riddance !

Can you scientifically predict earthquakes? Nopes, no solid reliable technology is present. But weather is predictable and you meteorology departments for such reasons. Do you mean to tell me that the Bangla authorities failed to determine such a huge storm was on their way or their roundabouts?

Gross incompetency. No two ways about it.

"Typhoon Cobra 1944" do research how great disaster it was or was it sheer incompetence, do let us know with massive money and brains US could have saved their equipment No?

@BDforever

I hope they make an informed decision.

Cherry picking comment by one of the member "the price it comes with" only applies to Bangladesh but it don't apply to Japan, S, Korea, Philippines, Australia and so on.

Last edited:
You do realize that Pakistan has an Afghanistan to deal with that has remained destabilized for the past 3 decades, an India that is ever belligerent and an Iran that when it isn't engaging in a turf war with the Arabs in every Muslim Country then is having a go at the US - making the region extremely....extremely unstable to say the least.

And when nearly 58% of Bangladeshis (the highest in South-Asia) are living in multi-dimensional poverty according to the UNDP Human Development Report of 2013, when Bangladesh's GDP is less than half ours, when your GDP per Capita is less than ours, when the underweight children in Bangladesh as a percentage of all children under 5 is more than ours, when Youth Unemployment is more than ours and when the income inequality in Bangladesh is worse than ours - I don't understand what causes you to issue a disparaging comment about Pakistan's State when you're in the same or worst condition as we are.....if you don't believe me you can always ask nearly 2 million illegal Bangladeshis in Pakistan !

And by the way this is despite us fighting an insurgency for the better of the last 3 decades on our Western Border and a State of Constant Mobilization on our Eastern Border - None of which you had to contend to !

The only thing that I agree with is that we too are glad that East-Pakistan is Bangladesh now - Good riddance !

I am sorry if my comments caused offence but Pakistan is not a stable country right now. Say what you like about BD but is much more stable and economic growth is still at 6% a year and foreigners are keen to do business in the country.

I would prefer if Pakistan was doing better as it is in BD's interest for Pakistan to help keep Indians in check in South Asia.

While Pakistan GDP may be a lot higher, GDP/capita is no that much different.BD is at around 1200 with Pakistan at 1500 I think. With per capita income growing twice as fast in BD compared to Pakistan, the day is not too far off when BD surpasses Pakistan.

"Typhoon Cobra 1944" do research how great disaster it was or was it sheer incompetence, do let us know with massive money and brains US could have saved their equipment No?

@BDforever

Cherry picking comment by one of the member "the price it comes with" only applies to Bangladesh but it don't apply to Japan, S, Korea, Philippines, Australia and so on.

Genius 1944 and 1994( i forgot the year now) has a 50 year difference. Didnt have the technology then. If you cant logically deduce the massive, infact complete difference in technology in half a century . Do you really not see the difference?

I give up.

Genius 1944 and 1994( i forgot the year now) has a 50 year difference. Didnt have the technology then. If you cant logically deduce the massive, infact complete difference in technology in half a century . Do you really not see the difference?

I give up.

Genius even in 1944 US had much capital and smart labour compared to 1994 Bangladesh small air force, it was a disaster, there is absolutely no need to argue after the example of "Typhoon Cobra" example nor would I be replying, good day.

Genius even in 1944 US had much capital and smart labour compared to 1994 Bangladesh small air force, it was a disaster, there is absolutely no need to argue after the example of "Typhoon Cobra" example nor would I be replying, good day.

This is my last post here, did the US have the technology to discover a massive hurricane heading their way? NOPES. They did not have the tech in 1944. When there were zero satellites up in the air.

I give up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom