What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

I am very confident that China's 6th generation fighter equivalent will be ready for service by mid 2030s.

They were already researching it before J-20 came into service in 2017 and there has been some information already leaked about its variable cycle engine. This is something it will share with the UK's Tempest fighter that is due for service in 2035 and I think the US 6th gen fighter will also use them.

The military tech gap between US and China is slowly closing and not increasing as some imagine.

Stick with Chinese for now acquire tots, become involved the Turkish fighter program.

There is a chance we might be getting Lockheed's F-16 Block 60.

But in all reality they will offer us this subsonic thing and call it a day (T-7 Red Hawk),
he's probably looking at apaches (blocked due to ACSA treaty) and F-18s on his trip to boeing, if we wanted
F-16s we would have taken the initiative long ago. imo we are not getting any fighters from US.

i had a question though, to purchase any US-made fighter, BD will need to sign ACSA. Is it a requirement to be a signatory of ACSA to get non-lethal defence equipment from the US? are critical components such as engines and engine management computers classed as non-lethal hardware? Maybe we could get gripens to replace F-7 fleet in the future.

This is the perfect excuse India and Hasina have to go with the QUAD.
No vai bd will not join QUAD. But bd will sign GSOMIA with USA. Bd had some objections with a specific term of gsomia and bd asked for a revised deal. If USA approves then bd will sign GSOMIA and we might see some US techs in BAF.

Last edited:
No vai bd will not QUAD. But bd will sign GSOMIA with USA. Bd had some objections with a specific term of gsomia and bd asked for a revised deal. If USA approves then bd will sign GSOMIA and we might see some US techs in BAF.
does it have to sign ACSA (which will give US logistical support to operate in Bay of Bengal) in addition to GSOMIA to get their tech?

Wow if US plans to keep f16s beyond 2030 it’s not going to be a bad choice for bd to get in it.
joining quad will probably be part of the deal for a discount. I don’t know if we will take it.
USAF is hugely disappointed with the "fifth gen" good for nothing trash they operate. They intend to operate F-16s till mid-2040s.
They are considering getting Vipers and/or block-70/72s (currently only UAE operates).

BAF can benefit from ordering whatever variant USAF decides to operate but getting American single engine jets would mean we would also need to get J-10Cs to counter India.

Last edited:
he's probably looking at apaches (blocked due to ACSA treaty) and F-18s on his trip to boeing, if we wanted
F-16s we would have taken the initiative long ago. imo we are not getting any fighters from US.

i had a question though, to purchase any US-made fighter, BD will need to sign ACSA. Is it a requirement to be a signatory of ACSA to get non-lethal defence equipment from the US? are critical components such as engines and engine management computers classed as non-lethal hardware? Maybe we could get gripens to replace F-7 fleet in the future.

AFAIK components such as engines and engine management computers that are used in Lethal platforms are classed as lethal hardware. It is all about context.

US has no problems selling us civilian container barge technology they use in the Mississippi river (push-boats) made by the Metal shark company (whose assault boats we also use in the Navy) but (latest) classified technology such as engine components and FADEC engine management technology (US thinks) can get into the hands of the Russians and Chinese and get reverse engineered. That will have a harder time getting sold.

BAF can benefit from ordering whatever variant USAF decides to operate but getting American single engine jets would mean we would also need to get J-10Cs to counter India.
Not necessary. You’re assuming bd will ever use them offensively that’s to hit targets in india or operate in Indian airspace, I don’t see us being that bold even with a j10. If we acquire f16 it could also mean we’re choosing a side, China could be out of picture for us then.

looks like the venerable F-22 will be retired earlier than expected.

next DEFSECA post will be : BAF Chief in US inspects used F-22 for MRCA.

in other news, DEFSECA reports that Air chief tested F-16V simulator. A shame we'll never get to see one flying in BAF colours because of politics.

in other news, DEFSECA reports that Air chief tested F-16V simulator. A shame we'll never get to see one flying in BAF colours because of politics.
i'd like to hear the arguments from the ppl saying : Muh BD needs 5th gen fighters ASAP ! no need for EFT!
these things are like snowflakes lol F-35 costs ~ >28,000 $USD PER HOUR TO FLY stealth coating doesn't come cheap and is a pain to maintain. maybe after this tech matures, is refined and affordable BAF should look for 5th gen.

EDIT: F-35A costs $44K USD per hour (2018) but my point still stands. NAvy wants to get it down to 22K USD / hour LOL
Aircraft sustainment woes -- And is the Air Force paying for Navy F-35 costs? | Acquisition Talk

JPO Seeks to Slash F-35A Flight-Hour Costs - Air Force Magazine

Last edited:
i'd like to hear the arguments from the ppl saying : Muh BD needs 5th gen fighters ASAP ! no need for EFT!
these things are like snowflakes lol F-35 costs ~ >28,000 $USD PER HOUR TO FLY stealth coating doesn't come cheap and is a pain to maintain. maybe after this tech matures, is refined and affordable BAF should look for 5th gen.

EDIT: F-35A costs $44K USD per hour (2018) but my point still stands. NAvy wants to get it down to 22K USD / hour LOL
Aircraft sustainment woes -- And is the Air Force paying for Navy F-35 costs? | Acquisition Talk

JPO Seeks to Slash F-35A Flight-Hour Costs - Air Force Magazine

Long story short BD will probably realistically purchase EFT and either wait it out or buy J-10C or F-16 if they really give 2 dams.

Or another option they could do is get 5th gen fighters in the future since I think they wanted 5th gen platforms as BAF said for some odd reason.

I personally say just get EFT and if we can get J-10Cs or if lucky Gripens

I personally say just get EFT and if we can get J-10Cs or if lucky Gripens
16 EFT is a low risk option, it will remain relevant for quite some time. its not like MyAF can get anything to counter it , even Su-35 can't go head to head against EFT plus , i doubt they can afford Su-35 anyway. (they are getting Su-30s lol)
maybe get one more squadron of EFT and replace F-7 with J-10c.

Or another option they could do is get 5th gen fighters in the future since I think they wanted 5th gen platforms as BAF said for some odd reason.
lets wait and see what's available in 2030.
The president said that BD would consider acquiring 5th gen after 2030s in a speech so we are not in a hurry.

honestly i'm waiting for the budget details to be published, BAF may (hopefully) sign a contract this year or next year after BAF air show 2022.
1621524055193.png

(maybe there is hope for BAF)

Last edited:

Sed They were supposed to dominate the battle space…. While grandfather projects like f15 and f16 still relevant to this day
16 EFT is a low risk option, it will remain relevant for quite some time. its not like MyAF can get anything to counter it , even Su-35 can't go head to head against EFT plus , i doubt they can afford Su-35 anyway. (they are getting Su-30s lol)
maybe get one more squadron of EFT and replace F-7 with J-10c.

lets wait and see what's available in 2030.
The president said that BD would consider acquiring 5th gen after 2030s in a speech so we are not in a hurry.

honestly i'm waiting for the budget details to be published, BAF may (hopefully) sign a contract this year or next year after BAF air show 2022.
View attachment 745502
(maybe there is hope for BAF)
Man BAF chief inspects f16 manufacturing plant and already theres speculation about it.
tbh I won’t be disappointed if we go with those either… a fleet built pure on those or half f16 half j10 is still way better than the competition and current inventory

Back
Top Bottom