What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Hey man, so for us outsiders who are very supportive and inquisitive as to what the BAF is going to do next, is the Eurtofighter Typhoon deal a tender or is it an official request by the BAF to look into the possibility of acquiring what, 8 of them? Love that aircraft and hope it comes to fruition.

Not sure about specifics.

Only putting together publicly known info.

Just to summarize, BAF has a requirement.

The initial tender was 8 + 4 options pre-2017 which was phrased to be essentially a lock for a twin engined Russian type.

The Yak purchase was probably suggestive of this approach.

I think the Rohingya issues in late 2017 altered the politics of things.

Subsequently, I think Russia is out and the West has become a viable option at this point.

The requirement increased to 16 as per BD officials in official verifiable statements.

There were rumors of Eurofighter after UK offered to "help" Bangladesh acquire "high-caliber" fighters.

Leonardo and BAF are talking and have an established relationship.

For me who is a hardcore skeptic of all things BAF, the confirmation that there may be something to BAF purchasing something big ticket was the French Defence Minister coming to Dhaka and speaking with Hasina.

That meant someone smelled money.

Finally a Eurofighter website listed Bangladesh as a potential customer.

The links to the various sources I have pointed too are found earlier in this thread.

Not sure about specifics.

Only putting together publicly known info.

Just to summarize, BAF has a requirement.

The initial tender was 8 + 4 options pre-2017 which was phrased to be essentially a lock for a twin engined Russian type.

The Yak purchase was probably suggestive of this approach.

I think the Rohingya issues in late 2017 altered the politics of things.

Subsequently, I think Russia is out and the West has become a viable option at this point.

The requirement increased to 16 as per BD officials in official verifiable statements.

There were rumors of Eurofighter after UK offered to "help" Bangladesh acquire "high-caliber" fighters.

Leonardo and BAF are talking and have an established relationship.

For me who is a hardcore skeptic of all things BAF, the confirmation that there may be something to BAF purchasing something big ticket was the French Defence Minister coming to Dhaka and speaking with Hasina.

That meant someone smelled money.

Finally a Eurofighter website listed Bangladesh as a potential customer.

The links to the various sources I have pointed too are found earlier in this thread.

Excellent. Thanks for the thorough explanation. Man I truly hope the EFT deal goes through including the option. I truly believe the French kinda screwed us on our option for an additional 12 Rafales on top of the 24 we bought. When any contract stipulates an option for an individual or country, that is almost a guarantee as long as the funds are in order and they certainly are because the EAF is trying to acquire more than just the 12 but why the French don't offer the 12 immediately as part of the option and its requirements and then create a separate contract for additional aircraft? That makes me very skeptical of them and how long it took for them to strike a deal with India. It' s always about the money I don't need to tell you that but that's not the issue here, hence why I have lost almost all confidence in the French as far as more Rafales and when Leonardo offered 24 Typhoons with the 2 Berghaminni FREMMs and 20 OPV corvettes and 24 M346 Aramicchis etc.

Italy-Egypt to sign mega defence deal soon - EDEX 2021 - The 2nd Edition of Egypt's Only International Defence Expo (egyptdefenceexpo.com)

So far we've agreed on t of the FREMMs and the OPVs but I think they'll decide on the Typhoons if France just doesn't want to make it work for whatever reason.

I said go for the Typhoons immediately and add them to the Rafales. There's a reason why Saudi Arabia chose to purchase what, 72 Typhoons? A lot has to do with the American compatibility they already have with their F-15s but it's also a superb aircraft, It has the sexiest radome out of all with the SU-35 coming in 2nd because they changed it for the new gimbal rotation on the IRBIS radar.

Typhoon doesn't really have a lot of American constraints since radar and engines and frame/body are all done by the consortium of BAE/UK?GERMANY and Leonardo of Italy who holds a large share of the pie. The only American items I think are being able to integrate GBU laser guided bombs but who cares, use the German IRSTs BVRAAMs and Brimestone missiles for now. Then get the meteors once they approve foreign sales. That'll be awesome.

I hope they paint them in those awesome blue colors like the MiG-29s! :D

Excellent. Thanks for the thorough explanation. Man I truly hope the EFT deal goes through including the option. I truly believe the French kinda screwed us on our option for an additional 12 Rafales on top of the 24 we bought. When any contract stipulates an option for an individual or country, that is almost a guarantee as long as the funds are in order and they certainly are because the EAF is trying to acquire more than just the 12 but why the French don't offer the 12 immediately as part of the option and its requirements and then create a separate contract for additional aircraft? That makes me very skeptical of them and how long it took for them to strike a deal with India. It' s always about the money I don't need to tell you that but that's not the issue here, hence why I have lost almost all confidence in the French as far as more Rafales and when Leonardo offered 24 Typhoons with the 2 Berghaminni FREMMs and 20 OPV corvettes and 24 M346 Aramicchis etc.

Italy-Egypt to sign mega defence deal soon - EDEX 2021 - The 2nd Edition of Egypt's Only International Defence Expo (egyptdefenceexpo.com)

So far we've agreed on t of the FREMMs and the OPVs but I think they'll decide on the Typhoons if France just doesn't want to make it work for whatever reason.

I said go for the Typhoons immediately and add them to the Rafales. There's a reason why Saudi Arabia chose to purchase what, 72 Typhoons? A lot has to do with the American compatibility they already have with their F-15s but it's also a superb aircraft, It has the sexiest radome out of all with the SU-35 coming in 2nd because they changed it for the new gimbal rotation on the IRBIS radar.

Typhoon doesn't really have a lot of American constraints since radar and engines and frame/body are all done by the consortium of BAE/UK?GERMANY and Leonardo of Italy who holds a large share of the pie. The only American items I think are being able to integrate GBU laser guided bombs but who cares, use the German IRSTs BVRAAMs and Brimestone missiles for now. Then get the meteors once they approve foreign sales. That'll be awesome.

I hope they paint them in those awesome blue colors like the MiG-29s! :D

1619391069055.png

Aroma of money > Aroma of Fresh Baked Baguettes (Pitch for Rafale over Eurofighter?)

"This is a programme that is very much alive. The contract sends a strong message to potential export countries like Finland, Switzerland, Egypt and Bangladesh that they can be assured that this aircraft will be in service up to 2060." (Quote taken from above article)

It's good for Bangladesh to handle its defense capabilities with more care as I hope they are realizing what a BJP led India means for them despite the sometimes sweet words.

As for Egypt, I wish you guys well but hope that you realize the game Israel plays though the West in containing its neighbors.

Specifically I would love for Egypt and Turkey to cooperate rather than compete, although you are much more familiar with the nuances of the situation than I am.

All these defense acquisitions by countries are really more often than not a reflection of the politics at play.

Also, really hoping any BAF Eurofighters come in a low viz gray camo!

বিমান বাহিনী প্রধানের তুরস্ক সফর শেষে দেশে প্রত্যাবর্তন
ঢাকা, ২৬ এপ্রিলঃ- বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান এয়ার চীফ মার্শাল মাসিহুজ্জামান সেরনিয়াবাত, বিবিপি, ওএসপি, এনডিইউ, পিএসসি তুরস্ক সফর শেষে রবিবার (২৫-০৪-২০২১) বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীর একটি C-130J বিমানের মাধ্যমে দেশে প্রত্যাবর্তন করেছেন।
সফরকালে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান তুরস্কের প্রতিষ্ঠাতা মোস্তফা কামাল আতাতুর্ক এর সমাধি (Anitkabir) পরিদর্শন করেন এবং সমাধিতে পুষ্পস্তবক অর্পনের মাধ্যমে তাঁর প্রতি শ্রদ্ধা জ্ঞাপন করেন। তুরস্ক অবস্থানকালে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান Commander of Turkish Air Force General Hasan Küçükakyüz ছাড়াও Turkish General Staff (TGS) Commander General Yaşar Güler, Turkish Army Force Commander General Ümit DÜNDAR এবং Commander of Turkish Navy Force Admiral Adnan Özbal এর সাথে সৌজন্য সাক্ষাত এবং পারস্পারিক দ্বিপাক্ষিক স্বার্থ সংশ্লিষ্ট বিষয়ে মত বিনিময় করেন। এছাড়াও, তিনি Air Combat Force Commander এবং Commander of Air Force Academy সহ ঊর্ধ্বতন সামরিক ও বেসামরিক কর্মকর্তাদের সাথে পেশাগত বিষয়ে আলোচনা করেন। সফরকালে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান সেদেশের বিমান বাহিনীর বিভিন্ন ঘাঁটি, বিমান বাহিনী একাডেমি, সামরিক জাদুঘর, এভিয়েশন মিউজিয়াম সহ সামরিক ও বেসামরিক প্রতিষ্ঠান পরিদর্শন করেন।
বিমান বাহিনী প্রধানের এই সফরের মাধ্যমে বাংলাদেশ ও তুরস্কের মধ্যে বিদ্যমান সৌহাদ্যপূর্ণ সম্পর্ক সুদৃঢ় ও পেশাগত খাতে পারষ্পরিক সহযোগিতার পরিধি সম্প্র্রসারিত হবে। এছাড়াও, তুরস্ক বিমান বাহিনী ও তুরস্কের শীর্ষ পর্যায়ের সামরিক ও বেসামরিক ব্যক্তিবর্গের সাথে বাংলাদেশ ও তুরস্ক বিমান বাহিনীর ভবিষ্যৎ পরিকল্পনা সংক্রান্ত বিষয়ে ফলপ্রসু মত বিনিময় করার সুযোগ হবে বলে আশা করা যায়। উক্ত সফর হতে অর্জিত অভিজ্ঞতা কাজে লাগিয়ে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীতে ভবিষ্যতে তাত্ত্বিক ও প্রাতিষ্ঠানিক জ্ঞানের পরিধি বিস্তারের বিশেষ সুযোগ সৃষ্টি হবে।
উল্লেখ্য যে, বিমান বাহিনীর প্রধান এর এই ফিরতি ফ্লাইটে তুরস্কে ‘TIGER MLRS’ প্রশিক্ষণে অংশগ্রহণকারী বাংলাদেশ সেনাবাহিনীর ৪১ জন সদস্যকে বিমান বাহিনীর সি-১৩০জে পরিবহন বিমানের মাধ্যমে দেশে ফিরিয়ে আনা হয়। বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীর প্রধান Commander, Turkish Air Force এর আমন্ত্রণে গত ১৮-০৪-২০২১ তারিখে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীর একটি C-130J বিমানের মাধ্যমে তুরস্ক সফরের উদ্দেশ্যে ঢাকা ত্যাগ করেছিলেন।
178167381_1241263532958184_5612010110023885028_n.jpg

বিমান বাহিনী প্রধানের তুরস্ক সফর শেষে দেশে প্রত্যাবর্তন
ঢাকা, ২৬ এপ্রিলঃ- বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান এয়ার চীফ মার্শাল মাসিহুজ্জামান সেরনিয়াবাত, বিবিপি, ওএসপি, এনডিইউ, পিএসসি তুরস্ক সফর শেষে রবিবার (২৫-০৪-২০২১) বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীর একটি C-130J বিমানের মাধ্যমে দেশে প্রত্যাবর্তন করেছেন।
সফরকালে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান তুরস্কের প্রতিষ্ঠাতা মোস্তফা কামাল আতাতুর্ক এর সমাধি (Anitkabir) পরিদর্শন করেন এবং সমাধিতে পুষ্পস্তবক অর্পনের মাধ্যমে তাঁর প্রতি শ্রদ্ধা জ্ঞাপন করেন। তুরস্ক অবস্থানকালে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান Commander of Turkish Air Force General Hasan Küçükakyüz ছাড়াও Turkish General Staff (TGS) Commander General Yaşar Güler, Turkish Army Force Commander General Ümit DÜNDAR এবং Commander of Turkish Navy Force Admiral Adnan Özbal এর সাথে সৌজন্য সাক্ষাত এবং পারস্পারিক দ্বিপাক্ষিক স্বার্থ সংশ্লিষ্ট বিষয়ে মত বিনিময় করেন। এছাড়াও, তিনি Air Combat Force Commander এবং Commander of Air Force Academy সহ ঊর্ধ্বতন সামরিক ও বেসামরিক কর্মকর্তাদের সাথে পেশাগত বিষয়ে আলোচনা করেন। সফরকালে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনী প্রধান সেদেশের বিমান বাহিনীর বিভিন্ন ঘাঁটি, বিমান বাহিনী একাডেমি, সামরিক জাদুঘর, এভিয়েশন মিউজিয়াম সহ সামরিক ও বেসামরিক প্রতিষ্ঠান পরিদর্শন করেন।
বিমান বাহিনী প্রধানের এই সফরের মাধ্যমে বাংলাদেশ ও তুরস্কের মধ্যে বিদ্যমান সৌহাদ্যপূর্ণ সম্পর্ক সুদৃঢ় ও পেশাগত খাতে পারষ্পরিক সহযোগিতার পরিধি সম্প্র্রসারিত হবে। এছাড়াও, তুরস্ক বিমান বাহিনী ও তুরস্কের শীর্ষ পর্যায়ের সামরিক ও বেসামরিক ব্যক্তিবর্গের সাথে বাংলাদেশ ও তুরস্ক বিমান বাহিনীর ভবিষ্যৎ পরিকল্পনা সংক্রান্ত বিষয়ে ফলপ্রসু মত বিনিময় করার সুযোগ হবে বলে আশা করা যায়। উক্ত সফর হতে অর্জিত অভিজ্ঞতা কাজে লাগিয়ে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীতে ভবিষ্যতে তাত্ত্বিক ও প্রাতিষ্ঠানিক জ্ঞানের পরিধি বিস্তারের বিশেষ সুযোগ সৃষ্টি হবে।
উল্লেখ্য যে, বিমান বাহিনীর প্রধান এর এই ফিরতি ফ্লাইটে তুরস্কে ‘TIGER MLRS’ প্রশিক্ষণে অংশগ্রহণকারী বাংলাদেশ সেনাবাহিনীর ৪১ জন সদস্যকে বিমান বাহিনীর সি-১৩০জে পরিবহন বিমানের মাধ্যমে দেশে ফিরিয়ে আনা হয়। বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীর প্রধান Commander, Turkish Air Force এর আমন্ত্রণে গত ১৮-০৪-২০২১ তারিখে বাংলাদেশ বিমান বাহিনীর একটি C-130J বিমানের মাধ্যমে তুরস্ক সফরের উদ্দেশ্যে ঢাকা ত্যাগ করেছিলেন।View attachment 737560
Have the Facebook and YT defence channels started claiming we are buying T-129s yet?
Maybe Serniabat brought a few along in CKD form on board the C-130?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom