What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

I think the PAF is willing to sell the JF-17 Block-III to the BAF, it's more of a decision on the end of the BAF AHQ. But I think the BAF AHQ is tilting towards a Western jet, and I think the Gripen E/F is the best package on that front.
Is Gripen US export controlled? Can US block sales because of key components like the Volvo engine based off F404?

I found this quote off of Wikipedia. Doesn't this mean export could in theory be blocked like Turkish T-129 to Pakistan?
General Electric produces 50% of the engine. Elements such as the fan/compressor discs and case, compressor spool, hubs, seals, and afterburner are manufactured in Sweden, final assembly also taking place there.

Last edited:
It's an interesting situation if nothing else.

We DO know that official sources have made public their intent to induct a new fighter/fighters.

I would disagree with you about the precariousness of the BD situation.

Its certainly not as apparent or potentially "hot" as say a Pakistan or Turkey.

But BD does have its own problems in a geopolitical sense.

Its immediate regional powers for all intents and purposes support an antagonistic neighbor.

At the same time, BD has no REAL support in the world.

If BD-Myanmar ever went to war, politically BD would be isolated.

Lip service from "Islamic" countries and the West doesnt count.

At the same time, with this frenemy India, you have sweet words, but the reality is its a festering threat with the way the BJP government is doing things.

So what do you do if you are BD?

I've loved military aviation since I was a little kid but I've realized its actually the politics behind acquisition that are more important.

The real question is what is BD going to do politically.

The hardware it acquires will be reflective of that choice.

We at home can only watch.
I agree to an extent, but compared to Pakistan, I'd say the perception of BD is a lot better all around, especially in Europe. You're going to get more warmth in the cold than say Turkey or Pakistan, especially Pakistan.

That said, I believe the likes of Bangladesh, Pakistan, Turkey, etc, should make an effort to avoid 'alignment' with the US, China or Russia.

I'd rather independent and firm foreign policy with an emphasis on bilateral ties with 'peer states' like Ukraine, South Africa, Brazil, Taiwan, and others who understand what being thrown under the bus by bigger powers or fed false promises means.

Each of these countries (i.e., Ukraine, South Africa, Brazil, Taiwan, Turkey, BD, and Pakistan) has a vested interest in getting better and strengthening their position in shaky/hostile environments. Plus, working with them more means we work less with Russia, China and US, which might help us clear our conscience a bit too.

Is Gripen US export controlled? Can US block sales because of key components like the Volvo engine based off F404?

I found this quote off of Wikipedia. Doesn't this mean export could in theory be blocked like Turkish T-129 to Pakistan?
General Electric produces 50% of the engine. Elements such as the fan/compressor discs and case, compressor spool, hubs, seals, and afterburner are manufactured in Sweden, final assembly also taking place there.
Yep. The GE F404/F414 fall under ITAR, so the US can block them. Ditto for the CTS800 in the T129. That's why the Pakistani T129 deal hit of a roadblock, though TAI is working on alternative engines (e.g., speaking to Safran Group, and working on the indigenous TS1400).

It'll be a folly to procure aircrafts from Russia.

If you meant fighter jet, for maritime strike role you don't have any better alternative. And if Turkey, India, Indonesia, Egypt can give middle finger to USA's global fascism and find ways to buy Russian product, we can too. Where will other countries go who can't buy expensive European or strings attached USA toys? No one should give a single damn about this unfair CAATSA. If there's will, there's a way.

Yep. The GE F404/F414 fall under ITAR, so the US can block them. Ditto for the CTS800 in the T129. That's why the Pakistani T129 deal hit of a roadblock, though TAI is working on alternative engines (e.g., speaking to Safran Group, and working on the indigenous TS1400).

Isn't Eurojet EJ200 an option? Do you think it's possible to get a Gripen without any american component?

Weight classes you are talking about are completely different from JF-17...
Typhoon is 11 thousand KG
J-10 is 9.75 thousand KG
Mig-35 is 11 thousand KG
and JF-17 is 6.5 thousand KG or 1/2 of the weight of the Typhoon and Mig-35.
I think BAF should go for very light fighter for multirole duties (JF-17 Block 2) bought in high numbers (50-60) while Block 3 is in development and production is finished for Block II and try to get them built ASAP at Chinese facilities, and Pakistani facilities because I think they don't have current production right now and when Block III is finished get them upgraded to Block III standard.
They should also go for medium fighters (J-10C, or Mig-35, or Typhoon) in less numbers (30-40) for aerial superiority roles.
Heavy fighters are not needed because of the limited producers Su-30, and variants are pretty much the only option for BAF, because F-15s are pretty much impossible.

Different weight class as I told @Michael Corleone in the post above this one.
It doesn’t meet bd’s requirements.

Guys good news to be announced, stay tuned

Yes sir, especially in range, payload and thrust/ vmax department.
Anyways you’ll get some good news soon.

Hopefully, we get some good news soon.

But for replacing F-7 variants, JF-17 is the PERFECT choice.

I don't have to mention the obvious that the PAF uses it.

But for the qualities of the platform itself, its cheap, sanction-free, will field an AESA radar, fields SD-10 if not PL-15 in the furture, has a host of anti surface and anti ship munitions and the engine shares commonality with the RD-33 in the Mig-29s for familiarity's sake.

upload_2019-9-23_7-57-29.png

(the ability to employ the above would be a MAJOR upgrade for BAF capabilities)

That's alot of pros for it.

There are cons of course, its short legged, payload and hardpoint limitations, and Myanmar flies it.

I know I am missing many from both categories.

But the point is, introducing Block 3 JF-17 to replace the -MB, -BG, and -BGI makes complete sense.

Now if BAF wants to bring in something better, well then lets get on with it.

Last edited:
Hopefully, we get some good news soon.

But for replacing F-7 variants, JF-17 is the PERFECT choice.

I don't have to mention the obvious that the PAF uses it.

But for the qualities of the platform itself, its cheap, sanction-free, will field an AESA radar, fields SD-10 if not PL-15 in the furture, has a host of anti surface and anti ship munitions and the engine shares commonality with the RD-33 in the Mig-29s for familiarity's sake.

View attachment 580788
(the ability to employ the above would be a MAJOR upgrade for BAF capabilities)

That's alot of pros for it.

There are cons of course, its short legged, payload and hardpoint limitations, and Myanmar flies it.

I know I am missing many from both categories.

But the point is, introducing Block 3 JF-17 to replace the -MB, -BG, and -BGI makes complete sense.

Now if BAF wants to bring in something better, well then lets get on with it.
I here that mig 29 is to be sent to reserve? Possibly retired altogether? I guess they’ll end up using them for training. No upgrades planned

I here that mig 29 is to be sent to reserve? Possibly retired altogether? I guess they’ll end up using them for training. No upgrades planned
Why not? Upgrade could make them deadly without having to get rid of relatively new airframes (made in late 90s?)

Awesome.

Get rid of them.

They were bought for like what 125 million total USD back in 1999?

Not a bad deal.

But time to move on.

The only way upgrading them makes sense is if BAF chooses Mig-35.

Hopefully that isnt the case.

I agree to an extent, but compared to Pakistan, I'd say the perception of BD is a lot better all around, especially in Europe. You're going to get more warmth in the cold than say Turkey or Pakistan, especially Pakistan.

That said, I believe the likes of Bangladesh, Pakistan, Turkey, etc, should make an effort to avoid 'alignment' with the US, China or Russia.

I'd rather independent and firm foreign policy with an emphasis on bilateral ties with 'peer states' like Ukraine, South Africa, Brazil, Taiwan, and others who understand what being thrown under the bus by bigger powers or fed false promises means.

Each of these countries (i.e., Ukraine, South Africa, Brazil, Taiwan, Turkey, BD, and Pakistan) has a vested interest in getting better and strengthening their position in shaky/hostile environments. Plus, working with them more means we work less with Russia, China and US, which might help us clear our conscience a bit too.

Yeah but multiple tenders were issued with no takers except an Indian firm, plus Russia wants commitment to mig 35 so they’re to go

If BAF ever actually makes a decision and there is clear philosophy all these games by russians will cease immediately....

What is the cause of renewed optimism? What have you heard. I would be disappointed with everything except EFT. Its a no brainer.... EFT vs Rafale ..... defensive parity achieved with minimal chance of embargo from UK in times of war.

If BAF ever actually makes a decision and there is clear philosophy all these games by russians will cease immediately....

What is the cause of renewed optimism? What have you heard. I would be disappointed with everything except EFT. Its a no brainer.... EFT vs Rafale ..... defensive parity achieved with minimal chance of embargo from UK in times of war.
India will be inducting Tejas in bases near eastern border of BD (Whatever that name is) and JF-17 Block 3 should be procured for a plane that is overkill for EFT. JF-17 is truly a multirole plane that can be used for strike, and as SOW carrier while EFT is used for air superiority against Su-30 and Rafale.

You’ll be surprised and glad, I can’t tell for now

India will be inducting Tejas in bases near eastern border of BD (Whatever that name is) and JF-17 Block 3 should be procured for a plane that is overkill for EFT. JF-17 is truly a multirole plane that can be used for strike, and as SOW carrier while EFT is used for air superiority against Su-30 and Rafale.
Rafale will also be deployed in the eastern bases

Back
Top Bottom