What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

JF-17 does not fit the requirements of BAF mainly because of political reasons. Procuring this aircraft will be a total blunder. JF-17 has all major parts supplied by China and Russia.

In a conflict with Burma that aircraft does not work because

1. Pakistan already supplied JF-17 to Burma.
2. In a conflict with Burma the Chinese will be on the Burmese side and Pakistan will be under huge pressure from the Chinese not to supply BD and Pakistan will bow down to Chinese pressure. Not only that, in national security affairs of BD, Pakistan can not be trusted.

Only scenario when JF-17 will continue to receive support and spares is in a conflict with India. Both China and Pakistan will happily supply BD. But for India a superior aircraft is needed and J-10 fits the bill for that.

To retain Air Superiority over Burma you need a larger airforce compared to Burma, something you are very lacking. 32 Mig 29, 16 JF17 and 6 Su 30 is not a trivial forces for an Airforce like Bangladesh whose backbone still rested on J7/F7 bgb and meager 8 Mig 29.

For your obsession over India, let forget it.

To retain Air Superiority over Burma you need a larger airforce compared to Burma, something you are very lacking. 32 Mig 29, 16 JF17 and 6 Su 30 is not a trivial forces for an Airforce like Bangladesh whose backbone still rested on J7/F7 bgb and meager 8 Mig 29.

Wouldn't China support Myanmar over BD in conflict for whatever reason? JF-17s would be sanctioned if BD bought them.

Wouldn't China support Myanmar over BD in conflict for whatever reason? JF-17s would be sanctioned if BD bought them.

Thats why they are in dilemma, to bought new fighter they must considering many thing including diplomacy, prices and support spare parts . They are not that close with western power, they are one of the largest buyer of Chinese made weapons but China is close with Myanmar, their relationship with Russia is neutral at most if not warm but Russia is still the closest India ally.

Thats why they are in dilemma, to bought new fighter they must considering many thing including diplomacy, prices and support spare parts . They are not that close with western power, they are one of the largest buyer of Chinese made weapons but China is close with Myanmar, their relationship with Russia is neutral at most if not warm but Russia is still the closest India ally.
Dilemma for sure... China would support BD in war with India but not with Myanmar and West would support BD in war with Myanmar but not with India.

JF-17 does not fit the requirements of BAF mainly because of political reasons. Procuring this aircraft will be a total blunder. JF-17 has all major parts supplied by China and Russia.

In a conflict with Burma that aircraft does not work because

1. Pakistan already supplied JF-17 to Burma.
2. In a conflict with Burma the Chinese will be on the Burmese side and Pakistan will be under huge pressure from the Chinese not to supply BD and Pakistan will bow down to Chinese pressure. Not only that, in national security affairs of BD, Pakistan can not be trusted.

Only scenario when JF-17 will continue to receive support and spares is in a conflict with India. Both China and Pakistan will happily supply BD. But for India a superior aircraft is needed and J-10 fits the bill for that.
What's the issue with Myanmar in short???

What did he say?

I don't understand proper Bangla.
bangladesh airforce is in process to induct 4th generation fighter aircraft ,air defence radar,chopper,transport aircraft and missiles..i think, mrsam he meant there..

Why would Pakistan be involved fully? China could do most of the work on aircraft and supply spare parts and wouldn't put sanctions necessarily. You think West is any better? In a conflict with India they will be pressured to stop supplying spare parts, and weapons to BD or risk cutting economic ties.
Tbh with Burma getting jf17 and india having sukhoi 30 already... I don’t see us getting any of the jets

What did he say?

I don't understand proper Bangla.

He said they are working on procuring new fighters. Helios and logistics aircraft procurements are being finalised and radar and sam related work continues. He expects a step up in BAF capability.

To be perfectly honest heard the same things from many a BAF chief. Hopefully this materialises soon so that I can heap praise commensurate with the scorn i have poured on BAF utter failure to date.

Long time coming. I am hoping for the best EFT and F16 combo. BD needs to believe and just go western and both myanmer and india effectively neutralised. BD does not have an aggressive posture and defensively if forced to fight I am sure we can carry western opinion with us.

Yes sir, especially in range, payload and thrust/ vmax department.
Anyways you’ll get some good news soon.

Just curious, where exactly does BD/BAF plan to strike that the JF-17 does not fulfill its range requirements?

Pardon me, and I am not condescending, but I have been hearing the sentence "you'll get some good news soon" & names like J-10, Su-30, Su-35, and Eurofighter for past 13 to 15 years. Someone implied here that news pertaining to new aircraft would come in a month's time, that was several months ago. So far nothing.

Let me confess that even as a researcher/analyst I possess meager knowledge on BD's military affairs. However, since I have been periodically dropping in on this topic (this includes discussion on other past forums/websites) since the past 13-15 years I have come to invest some interest in the subject [this is also perhaps because I have come to like and admire Bangali/Bangladeshi people over the years ... excluding BD cricket fans (sarcasm)]. But basing my opinion on things as they appear on the surface, I would say BAF has no need for long-range or medium to heavy combat aircraft like Sukhois and Typhoons. I know you guys want something not just with a punch but also prestige, but the most resourceful thing to do is to buy an aircraft that can be purchased in numbers yet provides good capability and is operationally viable and economical. You don't need an aircraft sitting most of its time in a hangar for maintenance or because the cost of operation exceeds the allocated budget. This doesn't necessarily mean buying JF-17 but BAF needs to look for something along the line. The worst thing, however, would be if Tejas is shoved down BD/BAF's throat, which is not an unlikely scenario.

Indeed, BD requires a larger but economical air force not a larger but costly aircraft. Building an air force with the ability to pose a challenge to IAF is beyond BD's means and will remain so for a long time to come. Even if BAF acquires jets like J-10, Su-35, EFT, or Rafale they would be overwhelmed in a matter of hours by IAF since they won't be able to acquire them enough numbers.

Despite my dislike for Hasina, I must say she has done well to mend ties with India, even if it has led her and BD to become appeaser to the country. If things go along as they are and mutual economic and political dependency (but mostly BD dependent on India) is achieved the likelihood of an armed conflict between the two countries on the state-to-state level would diminish. In fact, it is almost non-existent presently. Thus, BD/BAF are free to focus on Myanmar.

If not JF-17 then Gripen is an idol platform. But I would go for ~36 used F-16s or Mirage-2000s with BVR capability and light to medium AEW&CS. Around 10 to 12 J-10C can then be added to further boost the airpower. This way BAF would remain formidable as well as diverse without complete dependence on a single country.

Just curious, where exactly does BD/BAF plan to strike that the JF-17 does not fulfill its range requirements?

Pardon me, and I am not condescending, but I have been hearing the sentence "you'll get some good news soon" & names like J-10, Su-30, Su-35, and Eurofighter for past 13 to 15 years. Someone implied here that news pertaining to new aircraft would come in a month's time, that was several months ago. So far nothing.

Let me confess that even as a researcher/analyst I possess meager knowledge on BD's military affairs. However, since I have been periodically dropping in on this topic (this includes discussion on other past forums/websites) since the past 13-15 years I have come to invest some interest in the subject [this is also perhaps because I have come to like and admire Bangali/Bangladeshi people over the years ... excluding BD cricket fans (sarcasm)]. But basing my opinion on things as they appear on the surface, I would say BAF has no need for long-range or medium to heavy combat aircraft like Sukhois and Typhoons. I know you guys want something not just with a punch but also prestige, but the most resourceful thing to do is to buy an aircraft that can be purchased in numbers yet provides good capability and is operationally viable and economical. You don't need an aircraft sitting most of its time in a hangar for maintenance or because the cost of operation exceeds the allocated budget. This doesn't necessarily mean buying JF-17 but BAF needs to look for something along the line. The worst thing, however, would be if Tejas is shoved down BD/BAF's throat, which is not an unlikely scenario.
Bd has released their spec requirements for the heavy MRCA years ago but with Russians hiking up the price, (blame that on incompetent fools in our AF) With no other alternative allowed to compete in tender process and conditions to procure mig 35 to get access to sukhois... we were firm on with getting j10... and that was going well too until China sided with Burmese for rohyngas and vetoed Myanmar out... so with effectively no real friends we had to sit with bangles on our hands... other procurements didn’t stop however and were going according to plan, c130 were inducted and deal made with the British and then came formal offer to supply MRCA from British high commissioner, I was very much skeptical, still am somewhat because t tell you the truth, I’m not he incompetent fucks that’s running the show... I’ve heard everything has been negotiated and now formal deal signing is left... as for medium MRCA, the chief went to MAKS this year and got the final Russian offer, went to China recently and got the Chinese offer and I’m not sure which one they’ll get after because the old mig pilots want the 35 and the their halves want j10... my bet is we will settle with j10 at the end as the backbone of the fleet.
Today AF chief announced procurement of fighter jets is ongoing with radars and air defense already being setup. He announced soon the whole air force will be comprised of completely 4th gen aircrafts
So by his wording. I’m optimistic... the dude isn’t a lazy ****... he finished the training course on sukhoi 30 in Russia with a record time
What matters most is final approval, no govt. interference and shit ton of budget...
Also there is no way Tejas will ever get inducted. First their AF CHIEF came in and asked to use the loan money to buy Indian defense products... (I guess tejas) but then when that didn’t happen the navy chief came... failed and it’s been repeated again twice this year already

After reading BD members ,,,,,,,,,,
  • China cannot be trusted , And Chines Jets isn't worth it
  • Pakistan cannot be trusted , And Pakistani Jet isn't good enough
  • Russia cannot be trusted and Russian Jets wont work against endia and Myanmar
  • Gripen is expensive and west can sanction it
  • US wont going to sell F-16 , even if US will F-16s are expensive and sanctions pro
  • EFT will work but expensive and again Sanctions can also damage life support
What the hell man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you guys want then ????????

Back
Top Bottom