What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Don’t have much knowledge on jets but are these migs complete duds? Can someone knowledgeable layout the issue. Why the hell should we operate same things as our primary enemy. BA and BN have not made such error. Why is BAF so keen on Russian birds? Not saying they are bad but given Russia india defense relationship its suicidal.

This leaves only western and Chinese option.

What happened to the much talked about Chinese package ? We should get on with that already.

Whatever the difficulty we need to explore western platforms. In war we can not rely on Russia I do not think.

BAF needs to be a mix of Chinese and western jets I think to maximise our options.

Don’t have much knowledge on jets but are these migs complete duds? Can someone knowledgeable layout the issue. Why the hell should we operate same things as our primary enemy. BA and BN have not made such error. Why is BAF so keen on Russian birds? Not saying they are bad but given Russia india defense relationship its suicidal.

What happened to the much talked about Chinese package ? We should get on with that already.

Whatever the difficulty we need to explore western platforms. In war we can not rely on Russia I do not think.

BAF needs to be a mix of Chinese and western jets I think to maximise our options.
Russia will betray in war time .I personally like to purchase latest new jf 17 as a light attack figheter ,j 10-b/c for medium attack jet and a squadron of f15 eagle or euro fighter for the heavy and deep strike and counter measrue the burmese mig fleet . ignore russia .and for sake no more migs .russia has long histroy of betrayal .naser kicked all russians out of egypt for this why and go for american arms again.

BAF needs heavy birds like SU-30SME or F-15.

For F-15, the price could be a USN naval base in BD on Bay of Bengal which is totally out of the question.

Capture by me in farmgate area today a training aircraft of BAF rehearsal for victory day 2017
IMG_20171205_142135.jpg

All being discussed here are speculation till there is a firm and unfettered political will to acquire top order eqpt. In such major acquisition, the nation's foreign policy and def outlook are important. If we get Chinese eqpt then any ally with similar eqpt could consider supplements from each other in case of war. Here we are discussing Russian eqpt. Which air force can that possibly supplement?

Though India has pressed for a 25-year Defence Pact with Bangladesh, Prime Minister Hasina did not accept. While Bangladesh is keen to maintain cordial relations with its neighbours, it also clearly does not wish to put all its eggs in one basket.
Thanks to Prime minister sheikh hasina.

How ever hope BAF will buy more jets in near future in order to become a balanced air force.

Last edited:
Bangladesh Air Force buying Mig-35 as replacement for F-7 beside program for buying MRCA .
Mig-35 will come as a govt. to govt. deal not tender like MRCA >

Souce : BDMILITAY.COM

Bangladesh air force buying M-35M helicopter from Russia .air force initially wanted Turkish T-129 but it's price is more and carry less weapons so air force decided to buy 12 initially.

Bangladesh air force buying M-35M helicopter from Russia .air force initially wanted Turkish T-129 but it's price is more and carry less weapons so air force decided to buy 12 initially.
ahem, Mi35M for Airforce and Mi28NM/T-129 for Army(not before 2021-2022)
Hope this is not true.:disagree:

BD needs to buy from Turkey for strategic reasons.

@Avicenna

Hope this is not true.:disagree:

BD needs to buy from Turkey for strategic reasons.

@Avicenna

Not surprised. I don't have much hope in regards to Bangladeshi leadership to change their thinking.

That being said, of course there are benefits to choosing the Mil-Mi 35. Namely cheaper, more weapons load and most importantly commonality with the Mil-Mi 171.

Also, seems like a lot of countries are buying the type recently.

Not surprised. I don't have much hope in regards to Bangladeshi leadership to change their thinking.

That being said, of course there are benefits to choosing the Mil-Mi 35. Namely cheaper, more weapons load and most importantly commonality with the Mil-Mi 171.

Also, seems like a lot of countries are buying the type recently.

What is the point of larger weapons load when the helicopter cannot be fully used against India? Russia has too much stake with the Indians.
12 now and more later(next decade) will allow economies of scale down the line.
Anyway, this is not definite yet and so the Turkish helicopter is still possible.

BAF had been operating MiG-29's since the 90's. In fact, the MiG deal was signed in the mid 90's during the ruling AL government. BA uses BTR-80's.

We asked the Americans for F-16's way back in the 80's, but they refused to sell them to us.

Russia will betray in war time .I personally like to purchase latest new jf 17 as a light attack figheter ,j 10-b/c for medium attack jet and a squadron of f15 eagle or euro fighter for the heavy and deep strike and counter measrue the burmese mig fleet . ignore russia .and for sake no more migs .russia has long histroy of betrayal .naser kicked all russians out of egypt for this why and go for american arms again.

Have you considered how much an F-15 costs? Not to mention the extra investment for the required infrastructure to support them? It would similarly apply for the Typhoon or any Western jet for the matter. India's Rafale deal did not go exactly as planned not just because of money, but due to lack of understanding between the parties.

And for the record, the Americans did sanction the Pakistanis during the 65' War and the Kargil War. So one has to be careful. The Americans make brilliant weapons though. In fact, I would pick an American bird over a Russian/Chinese one any day. There's a reason why the Russians and Chinese still fear and respect the humble F-16.

The only rationale I can think of as far as Russian birds go is that they are the only ones that can fulfill the tender from a price/performance perspective. MiG-35 has identical maintenance schedule as the MiG-29 and training costs would be negligible.

What is the point of larger weapons load when the helicopter cannot be fully used against India? Russia has too much stake with the Indians.
12 now and more later(next decade) will allow economies of scale down the line.
Anyway, this is not definite yet and so the Turkish helicopter is still possible.

When I saw the price of an Altay MBT, I was flabbergasted. Even the M1 Abrams is cheaper.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom