What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

BAF had been operating MiG-29's since the 90's. In fact, the MiG deal was signed in the mid 90's during the ruling AL government. BA uses BTR-80's.

We asked the Americans for F-16's way back in the 80's, but they refused to sell them to us.

Have you considered how much an F-15 costs? Not to mention the extra investment for the required infrastructure to support them? It would similarly apply for the Typhoon or any Western jet for the matter. India's Rafale deal did not go exactly as planned not just because of money, but due to lack of understanding between the parties.

And for the record, the Americans did sanction the Pakistanis during the 65' War and the Kargil War. So one has to be careful. The Americans make brilliant weapons though. In fact, I would pick an American bird over a Russian/Chinese one any day. There's a reason why the Russians and Chinese still fear and respect the humble F-16.

The only rationale I can think of as far as Russian birds go is that they are the only ones that can fulfill the tender from a price/performance perspective. MiG-35 has identical maintenance schedule as the MiG-29 and training costs would be negligible.

When I saw the price of an Altay MBT, I was flabbergasted. Even the M1 Abrams is cheaper.

I doubt Bd had sent request for F16 in 80 decade, as at the time not many US Allies operating them (barring Israel), and at the time for second tier ally like South Korea, Thailand, Singapore and so on they offered F8 Crusader, F 5E and F4 Phantom as F16 is quite new and sophisticated enough to deter the balance of power and not to mention the fledging economy Bd at those difficult time cant afford it. And most likely US still harboring a suspicion against bd in which still on the orbit of India and Soviet.

I doubt Bd had sent request for F16 in 80 decade, as at the time not many US Allies operating them (barring Israel), and at the time for second tier ally like South Korea, Thailand, Singapore and so on they offered F8 Crusader, F 5E and F4 Phantom as F16 is quite new and sophisticated enough to deter the balance of power and not to mention the fledging economy Bd at those difficult time cant afford it. And most likely US still harboring a suspicion against bd in which still on the orbit of India and Soviet.

I have to corroborate what @Zabaniyah said. I vaguely remember hearing about that too back in the day. I wish someone would share the details of that situation, as unlikely as it may seem.

I have to corroborate what @Zabaniyah said. I vaguely remember hearing about that too back in the day. I wish someone would share the details of that situation, as unlikely as it may seem.

That was from the late 1990s when Awami League was in power.
BD government wanted 27 F-16s but the US refused saying it was not "appropriate" for BD. BD then went ahead and placed an order for 16 Mig-29s with options for another 16.

Now days BAF is really a joke, .....i really hope, BAF will buy J-10C/D.............:(
8cdcd42dcac31b9883ef14-jpg.442077

Bangladesh's air force planes release colored smoke during celebrations marking the country's 46th Victory Day in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Saturday, Dec. 16, 2017.(AP Photo)

bangladesh-victory-day_dd61de9e-e277-11e7-8c02-0f57a5c79e45.jpg

Bangladesh air force planes release coloured smoke during celebrations marking the country''s 46th Victory Day in Dhaka, on Saturday, December 16, 2017. — AP/PTI
2017_12$largeimg16_Saturday_2017_212202089.JPG

1152 T/R unit for J10B/C's AESA

TB2AgNGi26H8KJjSspmXXb2WXXa_!!195235561.jpg

TB2mO0NiY_I8KJjy1XaXXbsxpXa_!!195235561.jpg

TB2xthqm4lmpuFjSZPfXXc9iXXa_!!195235561.jpg

TB2T.h6dgvD8KJjy0FlXXagBFXa_!!195235561.jpg
i know bro it,s an awsome machine...........:cheesy:
i don,t know why BAF is naglacted compare to ARMY AND NAVY........ and i am really frasted to hare abou stop gap-stop gap buying. If Bangladesh gov don,t want to purchase any capable jet (because of money problem) then Our government should diss-miss the AIR FORCE branch.............because it will save more government money..............:pissed::pissed::pissed:

Russia has refunded the Bangladesh Air Force the full equivalent cost of one Yak-130 for the first crashed aircraft.

The first airframe that crashed suffered problems with digital FBW system, which was acknowledged by the Russian manufacturer.

The Bangladesh Air Force might also get refund for the last two crashes because it is becoming more clear that BAF pilots were not responsible for the crash. The aircraft digital controls suffered problems during formation flying leading them to crash according to air force sources.

The Bangladesh Air Force will exercise their right to purchase additional Yak-130s under the same offer.
26063450_10204002736544904_6768319215960552939_o.jpg

BDMILITARY

Russia has refunded the Bangladesh Air Force the full equivalent cost of one Yak-130 for the first crashed aircraft.

The first airframe that crashed suffered problems with digital FBW system, which was acknowledged by the Russian manufacturer.

The Bangladesh Air Force might also get refund for the last two crashes because it is becoming more clear that BAF pilots were not responsible for the crash. The aircraft digital controls suffered problems during formation flying leading them to crash according to air force sources.

The Bangladesh Air Force will exercise their right to purchase additional Yak-130s under the same offer.
View attachment 445531
BDMILITARY

if the said is true then the YAK130 we should not purchase it any more better buy the Chinese ones

Yes, they did.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article188.html

I know, it is a bit ironic. It took the US a long time to finally recognize Bangladesh. Bangladesh never participated in any anti-American activities. So we are on amicable terms with them. The country with whom we have an extremely complicated relationship with is India.

I suspect the BD government at the time were concerned about the insurgency ravaging in the south eastern region of the country (i.e. Shanti Bahini). But that's just my opinion. Thank God we didn't need those jets. That would have been like pouring fuel over fire.

Yes, they did.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article188.html

I know, it is a bit ironic. It took the US a long time to finally recognize Bangladesh. Bangladesh never participated in any anti-American activities. So we are on amicable terms with them. The country with whom we have an extremely complicated relationship with is India.

I suspect the BD government at the time were concerned about the insurgency ravaging in the south eastern region of the country (i.e. Shanti Bahini). But that's just my opinion. Thank God we didn't need those jets. That would have been like pouring fuel over fire.

Thats late 90s propose not back in 80s decade, @UKBengali has said precisely

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom