What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

1. Mig experience was not bad
2. no, Navy is going to get dedicated fighter aircraft squadron. The kolapara Naval base is going to be epic sized with full aviation support system ;)

If navy gets a squadron of sukui then airforce will not let go without having 1 or 2 squadron for themselves. They will never allow navy to have stronger airforce than airforce themselves. You have no idea about inter service jealousy.

May I ask, which plane in our arsenal serves as CAS? To dream about A2A scenarios are great and all but what about A2G? I hope we get drones for those but since attack drone business is primarily western/israeli venture, I won't gat my hopes up.

May I ask, which plane in our arsenal serves as CAS? To dream about A2A scenarios are great and all but what about A2G? I hope we get drones for those but since attack drone business is primarily western/israeli venture, I won't gat my hopes up.

Attack drone market is not dominated by western companies anymore. When it comes to military drone platforms for export, China absolutely leads the way.

And that with a dangerously unstable nuclear armed-country run by a religious nut job

Quite rich, coming from a citizen of an Islamic theocracy which ranks well ahead of us in the fragile states index. :lol:

Keep dreaming though.

15392841_1171309489643287_1077552959342353636_o.jpg

SU-35 would be a very potent purchase, no doubt. The only thing I can assume for this long delay in fighter purchase is that BAF is considering all options and will come up with the best. Having said that, I am pretty darn sure it will be Russian. Getting YAKs as trainers was a major indication towards that. As @TopCat mentioned, 24 for 2 billion to China is a good news. We can afford it quite easily, given our current standing of our economy.

I would recommend sourcing fighters from Russia and keeping army and naval purchases from China. South Korea is also a viable option for the latter. What is interesting is that we have not looked towards Europe for major military purchases apart from radios, communication devices and Noras. This is quite intriguing as Europe does have good military industry but not too sure if its the cost factor or strings attached.
I think it will be one squadron at max. It's not rational for a country our size to get two squadrons of heavy fighters for 2 bill.
I see one squadron and multiple squadrons of lighter fighters like j-10 or mig 29/35 etc.

If navy gets a squadron of sukui then airforce will not let go without having 1 or 2 squadron for themselves. They will never allow navy to have stronger airforce than airforce themselves. You have no idea about inter service jealousy.
This statement is giving me goose and maverick vibes.

Quite rich, coming from a citizen of an Islamic theocracy which ranks well ahead of us in the fragile states index. :lol:

Keep dreaming though.

Bangladesh is a theocracy? I didn't know that. But thanks for the heads up.

@Loki @TopCat @bd_4_ever my prediction is Mig35 for AF, because BAF already has Mig experience+ less operational cost than Mig 29 but more advanced+ less fly away cost than su series.
But Navy will get Su series

The MiG-35 is what is akin the American F-18 Super Hornet. The Russians have been way too slow in developing the MiG-35. Albeit purposefully I'd wager. The Americans on the other hand deployed the SH way back in the late 1990's. Why such a huge gap? Are the Americans more efficient than their Russian counterparts? Not necessarily.

It's all about a military's requirements. The Russians had to rely on machines that are powerful, can move vast distances, and do so reliably under harsh conditions. This is in part their doctrine. Hence, their preference for the Flanker models. The MiG had never been to big among them.

I would say there were commitment issues with MiG. I have also heard that MiG has quality issues. Recently, much of their orders come from abroad - Namely India.

Now let's ask ourselves. Considering the state of matters right now, would it be rational to buy a new platform like the MiG-35? Would there be quality issues? Can Bangladesh as the first customer for that plane afford the risk?

Excellent posts Loki Bhai.

I'd say though that the following are what I thought were the Bangladesh Defense Doctrine for air force (for both holding and strike forces).
  • Exhaust all other avenues (diplomatic etc.) in parallel with activating defensive measures (holding forces).
  • Utilization of passive defense measures like radar and satellite warning systems along with active defense (holding forces).
  • Place active point air defense (missile defense and air superiority holding forces) to protect major infra assets
  • As a last resort - use of limited offensive measures (strike forces) but only to protect our vital interests, to neutralize enemy - only to the extent strictly necessary and only after struck by enemy.
I know that these are very high level principles however holding and strike force choices for ground attack and air superiority fighters need to be well thought out in a combat scenario. You are welcome to share your musings.

I don't know about doctrine. A military's doctrine is a highly secretive matter which is why I didn't talk much about it. I know for a fact that that Soviets didn't let anyone know their doctrine to any of its arms customers. And rightly so. Who'd want someone else to know it? But they are very different from let's say the British one.

Who knows? Maybe we can ask 'Prince Moosa' to bug the supply lines of the enemy and blow them up in the middle of a fight or something :rofl: Now that would be ugly.

I think you should cancel out BAF's experience with Mig-29. This has been nothing but nightmarish.

Nightmarish due to their negligence. They used cheap parts from Central Asian countries instead of original parts from Russia. It was so bad that there were rumors of cannibalization. I'm sure you'd know better if there hadn't been so much intellectual dishonesty coming from you.

Of-course, Khaleda Zia (who never even read intelligence reports) wanted to sell them to prove SHW wrong and that she was part of the corruption scandal involving those MiGs. And that was just about it. This form of idiocity needs to stop. There needs to be change.

But, was it a worthy experience? I would say yes.

Of course it is an Islamic state. Which ranks ahead of us in the fragile states index.

An Islamic state that allows women to be heads of state? It is generally discouraged in Islam.

But the fact remains that despite being a fantastic administrator, your leader allowed thousands of your own people die for his beliefs. Now that makes him a wildcard.

Last edited:
So, would an 'Islamic state' allow a female to be a head of state according to you? In Islam, it is generally discouraged.

Your constitution declares Islam as the state religion. That's enough to be 'Islamic'

''The state religion of the Republic is Islam, but other religions may be practiced in peace and harmony in the Republic''

Your constitution declares Islam as the state religion. That's enough to be 'Islamic'

''The state religion of the Republic is Islam, but other religions may be practiced in peace and harmony in the Republic''

And that is your answer in regards to a woman as a head of state? :lol: One that shows her face in the presence of men? It's either you are mad or you are being a funny man.

And you think I don't know that already in regards to state religion? Do you understand what a theocracy is? You have a habit of making a poor choice of words my callous Indian friend.

Islam as a state religion is as hollow as an empty underground well. It serves no function at all. It was done just to make some foolish mullahs happy during Ershad's already unpopular reign at the time. And something that has no function should be deleted. Don't you agree?

Now, this is a very particular thread we have here. If you don't like seeing something you read, best to just leave that place. The nature of your leadership is indeed relevant. A deeply-religious man with quite a few skeletons in his closet who believes that buying foreign-made weapons would make him and his country more powerful.

Who knows? Maybe it is you who is being intolerant(?)

I suggest that you leave this place immediately.

@waz @WAJsal

And that is your answer in regards to a woman as a head of state? :lol: One that shows her face in the presence of men? It's either you are mad and you are being a funny man.

Ha, so the constitution of a country has absolutely no role in determining whether a nation is secular or not ? :woot: Or is your constitution such an useless document ?

Calling your nation a theocracy is a stretch but not as much as referring to India as 'unstable'.

A deeply-religious man with quite a few skeletons in his closet who believes that buying foreign-made weapons would make him and his country more powerfu

Absolute non sense. I have no idea whether Modi is deeply religious or not but the efforts of Indian military to modernize is definitely much older than Modi Sarkar. There was billions of dollars allocated for that in the 12th five year plan (2012-17) which was laid down during the rule of 'secular' congress and even that hasn't been fully realized until now.

So, I suggest that you leave this place immediately.

@waz @WAJsal

Don't try too hard. It was you who made unnecessary comments about India & it's PM.

Calling your nation a theocracy is a stretch but not as much as referring to India as 'unstable'.

I don't know. Your folks whine or even revolt even if they don't get 1 paisa as change :lol:

Well, jokes aside...

I would say there were commitment issues with MiG. I have also heard that MiG has quality issues. Recently, much of their orders come from abroad - Namely India.
Egypt ordered Mig 35

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom