What's new

Baluchi’s Sued for Discriminating Against Brown People

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZABASHO

Reaction score
Well, this one's kind of surprising: Grub Street has gotten its hands on papers filed against the Forest Hills branch of Baluchi's Indian restaurants, which allege that the restaurant discriminates against brown people. Say, what? Yes, it seems that some diners were charged a mandatory gratuity, which they claim was the result of their race. According to the papers, the restaurant "maintain an overtly discriminatory policy of charging a mandatory gratuity only to people of South Asian races and/or of Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi descent." When the diners complained about the charge, they were followed outside and verbally and physically attacked by Baluchi's employees, the suit alleges, and they're now suing for compensatory damages, punitive damages, and attorney's costs. Somehow this seems a bit worse than the Ace Hotel lobby bar's policy of charging a mandatory gratuity to cope with low-tipping tourists.

Baluchi’s Sued for Discriminating Against Brown People -- Grub Street New York

12_baluchiscomplaint.pdf

http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2011/09/12_baluchiscomplaint.pdf

isn't that something :D

how much do you guys usually tip? and what do you think about the restaurant charging tips rather than letting the patrons show their gratuity towards the kind of service rendered?

P.S. the lawyer seems to be jewish too :D

is it a restaurant name or does it belong to baloch people. well if it belongs to baloch people, let me tell u they are even darker than brown people

is it a restaurant name or does it belong to baloch people. well if it belongs to baloch people, let me tell u they are even darker than brown people

They're much lighter than you think..
I'm really curious as to why a Baloch would run an Indian Restaurant.

well i have seen plenty of balochs and i am not talking about makranis , i m talking about real balochs and they are not fair but its like u might be havng fair balochs and dark balochs. well zardari is a good example of a baloch. its like dark and light punjabis and dark and light sindhis

i think its just the name baluchi, i guess it means something else

well i have seen plenty of balochs and i am not talking about makranis , i m talking about real balochs and they are not fair but its like u might be havng fair balochs and dark balochs. well zardari is a good example of a baloch. its like dark and light punjabis and dark and light sindhis

i think its just the name baluchi, i guess it means something else
Light Pathans and dark pathans, light Kashmiris and Dark Kashmiris.

Light Pathans and dark pathans, light Kashmiris and Dark Kashmiris.

sure its just the percentage is half half in the other three but in pashtuns and kashmiris the percentage may be a little less like 30-40 percent dark and 60 percent fair :)

its the name of a restaurant chain in New York serving Indian cuisine.

@DRaisinHerald I've seen quite a few Pakistanis running restaurants serving Indian cuisine and marketing themselves as Indian food, but specifically if they are baloch or not, I do not know. Most I can recollect were either Pakistani-Punjabi and pathans.

and why are people talking about color here!!? You already got outsiders discriminating on that characteristic against you, and you are doing the same to your countrymen :D ironic :rofl:

sure its just the percentage is half half in the other three but in pashtuns and kashmiris the percentage may be a little less like 30-40 percent dark and 60 percent fair :)

Tut tut, I had my suspicions that's why I trolled in the last response. Your new to this forum , So I'll ask you to please be respectful in future.

Never heard of this restaurant, and I live in the city.

I doubt that person is a real Baloch.

Hi,

I just called their restaurant (its in Tribeca area, New York City) -- landline # (212) 679-3434

It took me forever to find their number on google --- obviously it isnt a popular restaurant because usually google is very quick to bring the most relevant item to the top of the list.

I lied to the host who answered the phone (poor girl, she seemed polite) and was pretending to be a very angry customer who was complaining about a rude waitress and bad service. I angrily asked to talk to the manager.

I waited about 5 minutes while the phone was on speakerphone and this indian sounding dude picks up the phone. I made a fake introduction and told him bla bla bla about how awful their service was. towards the end of the call i asked him by the way, ''Baluchis'' is indian restaurant?

He answered yes...then I asked ''what is Baluchi'' is that the name of a person or some hindi word. He said ''no sir....Baluchistan is a place'' .....I said ''really, oh that's an interesting/odd name, never heard of it'' then he interrupted me and said ''yes sir, it's a place in Pakistan''

i started laughing on the phone and said ''so an indian restaurant that is named after an area of Pakistan......i didnt realize indians held Pakistani lands in such a high esteem''

then i hung up the phone

oh and i'll leave the best for last

this is one of the few reviews that i saw on this restaurant online:

I've had better Indian food for 1/3 of the price. The food was non-descript and lacked any real dimension to the flavors. It was not busy, but the service was non-existent. Not rude, just absent, and what we ordered came out wrong, unlabeled, and meat items were presented in the same dish with non-meat versions (with no way to identify the difference by sight), leading one member of our party to have to be the "taste tester" for the vegetarians. :-)rofl:) When we finished the food, we sat at a cleared table with empty water glasses in a nearly empty restaurant waiting for our check for about 15 minutes. The service was not what I expected on a Saturday in TriBeCa. We won't be going back

:tup:

Baloch light? The only people in Balochistan who are light are Pashtuns, the majority of Baloch are dark. Don't nitpick the 4 Balochies you know.

Tut tut, I had my suspicions that's why I trolled in the last response. Your new to this forum , So I'll ask you to please be respectful in future.

What did i say that was so disrespectfull. i m wondering man. my father is punjabi and mother is pashtun . but some of my phupos are fairer than my khalas. i m not supporting anybody here.

I doubt that person is a real Baloch.

both owners are hindustanis......and it's obviously a restaurant with neither high ratings, nor a very sustainable business strategy! :laugh:

They have Hindu Gods on the walls of the restaurant. :D Not sure if Baluchi means something in Indian languages. Or they just wanted it to sound exotic.

But the gratuity for brown people is shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom