What's new

Bakhshali manuscript from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa has the earliest recorded origin of the zero symbol

Zero to Hero. Pakistan does it again. Indus plus. Ganga minus. We can now claim the greatest invention after the wheel to our land. Waahah !!!

4Lv7Dsj.png

The funny thing is this great discovery in Bakhshali, Khyber Pakhtunkwa, Pakistan is going to get 1.3 billions Indians bloated in pride. All over the world all you will hear is "zero equated with India" and all the Indians will lap it up as their "invention". This like they find something in British heritage site and the Jamaicans are jumping up and down.

Sumerians created the number zero before anyone else.
Butt hurt indians and afghan terrorist need to learn history better. :lol:
Troll, read this ;

"While the use of zero as a placeholder was seen in several different ancient cultures, including the Mayans, the researchers say the symbol in the Bakhshali manuscript it significant for two reasons.

Firstly, this dot evolved to have a hollow centre that we see in the zero symbol today.

And secondly, it was only in India that this zero developed into a number in its own right, when Brahmagupta, an Indian astronomer, wrote a text called Brahmasphutasiddhanta in the sixth century, which is the first document to discuss zero as a number." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4883880/First-evidence-zero-Bakhshali-manuscript.html

Seriously, no one has read the article! It clearly says the script doesn't have the "number" zero. That was invented in year 648 current era, by Brahmagupta, in current day Ujjain, MP. what the manuscript had was earliest Hindu notion for "place holder" zero. Place holder zero was invented by vedic Hindus or Babylonians or incas or simultaneously by all. In effect, it is cool find in many ways, but doesn't change any history of maths..

Bakhshali manuscript written in Śāradā script, had nothing to do with Indus Valley Civilization which was 2000 years older .

The manuscript is written in an earlier form of Śāradā script, which was mainly in use from the 8th to the 12th century, in the northwestern part of India, such as Kashmir and neighbouring regions. The language is the Gatha dialect (which is a combination of the ancient Indian languages of Sanskrit and Prakrit).

A colophon to one of the sections states that it was written by a brahmin identified as "the son of Chajaka", a "king of calculators," for the use of Vasiṣṭha's son Hasika. The brahmin might have been the author of the commentary as well as the scribe of the manuscript.

Epic centre of vedic civilization was in indus valley, this is undisputed fact. They went to India much later, not other way around. Most people in indus valley living currently have more direct ancestry from vedic aryans then Indians by order of magnitude. Before today Indians made us believe zero was discovered by someone living in Bihar. Just because ancients spoke indic language which is now mashallah huge family.

Seriously, no one has read the article! It clearly says the script doesn't have the "number" zero. That was invented in year 648 current era, by Brahmagupta, in current day Ujjain, MP. what the manuscript had was earliest Hindu notion for "place holder" zero. Place holder zero was invented by vedic Hindus or Babylonians or incas or simultaneously by all. In effect, it is cool find in many ways, but doesn't change any history of maths..

He too was born in Multan but recently his birth certificate was transferred to central Indian council.

Last edited:
Isn't it a common belief people in pakistan lived in an era of Jahalia before advent of Islam in that region when MBQ conquered Sindh ?

If pakistanis were inheritors of cradle of civilization why they had to convert to islam , religion of Arab Bedouins ?
I'm sorry that you guys cannot comprehend this, maybe it has to do with your low-IQ, Hindu brainwashing or both; but Islam is not a religion based off of ethnicity. Islam is a world religion, anyone can convert to it, just as your descendants will.

PS : Bakhshali manuscript was written by Hindu Brhamin/Baniya mathematician .
Were you there when it was written?

How do you know they were Hindu?

Most of the Indus Basin was predominantly Buddhist, around this time. Gandhara (from the region where this manuscript was found) was the stronghold of Buddhism in the Indus Region along with Sindh and Taxila.

A Bit of history for you , when Chandragupta Maurya ruled 80% of the Indian sub cont from his capital Pataliputra/Patna , Bihar ,
The Achaemenids have had control over the Indus region longer than the Mauryans: this does not make us Persians. Mauryan control of the Indus region is very irrelevant in history as the Mauryans held loose control only for a couple decades before the Indus Kingdoms freed themselves once more.

ancient Greek historian Megasthenes work was an ambassador of Greece in his court , he wrote his an account in the book called Indica , so India existed even at the time of Chandragupta Maurya .
Indica was referred to as a region. The name came from the river of Indus. Early foreigners did not have much knowledge about what laid beyond the river Indus and so referred to whatever that was beyond the Indus as the same name.

But you guys were happy or cherished being called Indian ,
Our ancestors did not know what the hell an "Indian" was and sure hell did not call themselves as Indians. That disgusting name was imposed to them sometimes by the British and unfortunately but rarely a couple of our fools began to accept it.

But you guys were happy or cherished being called Indian , changed everything about yourself from religion, culture to language , even a carved country called pakistan out of it in 1947 .
Religion on the Indus Basin had always been distinct/different from the modern-day region of India.
Cultures of the Indus Basin has and continues to be distinct/different from Indian culture.
Languages of the Indus Basin such as Pashto, Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, Baluch, Seraiki, Balti, Hindko and all other languages spoken in Pakistan except Urdu (which was needed as a national and unifying language)... are only spoken by 3% of India.

Alhamdulillah, I'm happy that Pakistan was created; I cannot imagine living with foreigners that hardly share anything with me and want to hijack my heritage and steal my culture.

After conversion, nada. Except of course terrorism. Which they seem to be good at.
You do not want to go there my friend. I could talk about how Indians are good shitting on the street, kissing Brahmin ***, worshipping people with tumours, bathing in the most polluted shit pool they call the Ganges, making people laugh because of ugly accents and doing thousands of other things which normal civilized humans categorize as taboo and disgusting.

I don't deny today Pakistanis are of indian origin
but they themselves say they aren't indians
Please tell me where did the Indians originate, what is the definition of an "Indian".

Our ancestors never called themselves as Indians and your claims have been shattered many times by genetic and historical evidence.

It's funny that pakistanis claims over IVC
Our claims are based off of archeological, geographic, genetic evidences and overall common sense. All you have is talk.

nothing to do with their real dark skinned Hindu ancestors.
How do you know my ancestors were dark skinned or Hindus? If my ancestors were dark-skinned, then why not I and most Pakistanis are not dark-skinned.

Stop pulling stuff out of your arse, it's getting really stinky now; I understand it is an Indian habit to stink things up - but I beg you to please spare this thread.

While us indigenous people knew geophical region as Bharat Varsha
Only some Vedic Kingdoms on the Ganges considered the region as "Bharat" through their scriptures.

The name comes from the Emperor Bharat, who's tribe was forced out from the Indus. The Peoples of the Ganges and Dravidia were feeble and weak and were easy to conquer.

Indians should be ashamed that they celebrate the fact they conquered by one of the Indus-basin tribes.

Tou8-dJqTH2W-ddJFHZhqQ.png

Moghul kings called themselves Shehenshah of Hindustan
Persians knew us as Hindustan
Hindustan was referred to the region based around the Ganges.

"Most formally, in the proper disciplines of Geography and History, Hindustan refers to the region of the upper and middle Ganges valley and the eastern banks of the river Indus. Hindustan by this definition is the region located between the distinct lands of Punjab in the northwest and Bengal in the north-east. So used, the term is not a synonym for the terms "South Asia", "India", or "Country of the Hindus" [sic], or of the modern-day Republic of India, variously interpreted.[12]"

Modern day Pakistan was not referred to as a single unit, but could be broken down into many parts such as Punjab, Sindh and etc...

I'm sorry that you guys cannot comprehend this, maybe it has to do with your low-IQ, Hindu brainwashing or both; but Islam is not a religion based off of ethnicity. Islam is a world religion, anyone can convert to it, just as your descendants will.

Most of the Indus Basin was predominantly Buddhist, around this time. Gandhara (from the region where this manuscript was found) was the stronghold of Buddhism in the Indus Region along with Sindh and Taxila.

The Achaemenids have had control over the Indus region longer than the Mauryans: this does not make us Persians. Mauryan control of the Indus region is very irrelevant in history as the Mauryans held loose control only for a couple decades before the Indus Kingdoms freed themselves once more.

Indica was referred to as a region. The name came from the river of Indus. Early foreigners did not have much knowledge about what laid beyond the river Indus and so referred to whatever that was beyond the Indus as the same name.

Our ancestors did not know what the hell an "Indian" was and sure hell did not call themselves as Indians. That disgusting name was imposed to them sometimes by the British and unfortunately but rarely a couple of our fools began to accept it.

Religion on the Indus Basin had always been distinct/different from the modern-day region of India.
Cultures of the Indus Basin has and continues to be distinct/different from Indian culture.
Languages of the Indus Basin such as Pashto, Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, Baluch, Seraiki, Balti, Hindko and all other languages spoken in Pakistan except Urdu (which was needed as a national and unifying language)... are only spoken by 3% of India.

Alhamdulillah, I'm happy that Pakistan was created; I cannot imagine living with foreigners that hardly share anything with me and want to hijack my heritage and steal my culture.

You do not want to go there my friend. I could talk about how Indians are good shitting on the street, kissing Brahmin ***, worshipping people with tumours, bathing in the most polluted shit pool they call the Ganges, making people laugh because of ugly accents and doing thousands of other things which normal civilized humans categorize as taboo and disgusting.

Please tell me where did the Indians originate, what is the definition of an "Indian".

Our ancestors never called themselves as Indians and your claims have been shattered many times by genetic and historical evidence.

Our claims are based off of archeological, geographic, genetic evidences and overall common sense. All you have is talk.

How do you know my ancestors were dark skinned or Hindus? If my ancestors were dark-skinned, then why not I and most Pakistanis are not dark-skinned.

Stop pulling stuff out of your arse, it's getting really stinky now; I understand it is an Indian habit to stink things up - but I beg you to please spare this thread.

Only some Vedic Kingdoms on the Ganges considered the region as "Bharat" through their scriptures.

The name comes from the Emperor Bharat, who's tribe was forced out from the Indus. The Peoples of the Ganges and Dravidia were feeble and weak and were easy to conquer.

Indians should be ashamed that they celebrate the fact they conquered by one of the Indus-basin tribes.

"Most formally, in the proper disciplines of Geography and History, Hindustan refers to the region of the upper and middle Ganges valley and the eastern banks of the river Indus. Hindustan by this definition is the region located between the distinct lands of Punjab in the northwest and Bengal in the north-east. So used, the term is not a synonym for the terms "South Asia", "India", or "Country of the Hindus" [sic], or of the modern-day Republic of India, variously interpreted.[12]"

Modern day Pakistan was not referred to as a single unit, but could be broken down into many parts such as Punjab, Sindh and etc...

Yeah. Rather than answering rationally he has resorted to personal insults. Pathetic. Internet has truly given every bug an opinion and in our neighbor there is an abundance of them.

Its funny how these troll try to steal history and its even more funnier how we let them. Glad that's changing. The new govt has even started to doctor history books so expect worse and worse rubbish.

Anyway. This is an amazing discovery which highlights how deep Pakistan's history is and how amazing the cultures were. The archeological research demands more funding to discover our history.

It is our failure that our diplomats fail to show the world the ancient pakistan.

According to Indians if you change your religion, you change your history. This is amazing.

@Kaptaan so Italians can't claim roman history or the Greeks Greek history bcz they changed to Christianity.

Or the Arabs, Arab history bcz they became Muslims..

So Egyptians being Muslim Arabs should burn down the pyramids bcz according to Indians its not their history.

This is the most ridiculous notion I have ever heard..

Last edited:

Lol tribe of Indus valley... kid we conqured Indis valley first and India later. We hade no love for Indus as even after migrating from Kazakhistan and Central Asia we wrote about our original homeland in Our Scriptures.

Zero to Hero. Pakistan does it again. Indus plus. Ganga minus. We can now claim the greatest invention after the wheel to our land. Waahah !!!

4Lv7Dsj.png

The script is close to Devnagari, and the place is near to silk road.

Which means native to Ancient whole India.

The origin of zero: First evidence of the symbol is discovered in the Indian Bakhshali manuscript dating back to the 3rd century

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-zero-Bakhshali-manuscript.html#ixzz4skFbDTCU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• The Bakhshali manuscript was found in 1881 but has never been dated
  • Researchers used radiocarbon dating and found that it dates to the 3rd century
  • It contains a dot symbol throughout, which was develop into the zero symbol in the sixth century
It has long been one of the world's greatest mathematical mysteries, but experts believe they have finally cracked the origin of the zero symbol.

Scientists have discovered evidence of the symbol in the Indian Bakhshali manuscript – a mathematical text discovered in 1881.

Carbon dating indicates that the manuscript dates from as early as the 3rd century, making it the world's oldest recorded origin of the zero symbol that we use today

Researchers from the University of Oxford conducted the first ever radiocarbon dating on the Bakhshali manuscript and revealed that it dates from as early as the 3rd century - five centuries older than previously believed.

This means that the manuscript predates a 9th-century inscription of zero on the wall of a temple in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, which was thought to be the oldest example of a zero.

Professor Marcus du Sautoy, who led the study, said: 'Today we take it for granted that the concept of zero is used across the globe and is a key building block of the digital world.

'But the creation of zero as a number in its own right, which evolved from the placeholder dot symbol found in the Bakhshali manuscript, was one of the greatest breakthroughs in the history of mathematics.
We now know that it was as early as the 3rd century that mathematicians in India planted the seed of the idea that would later become so fundamental to the modern world.

'The findings show how vibrant mathematics have been in the Indian sub-continent for centuries.'

The zero symbol that we use today evolved from a dot that can be seen throughout the Bakhshali manuscript.

ather than being used on its own, the dot was used as a 'placeholder' to indicate orders of magnitude in a number system – for example, the zero denoting a lack of tens in 101.

While the use of zero as a placeholder was seen in several different ancient cultures, including the Mayans, the researchers say the symbol in the Bakhshali manuscript it significant for two reasons.

Firstly, this dot evolved to have a hollow centre that we see in the zero symbol today.

And secondly, it was only in India that this zero developed into a number in its own right, when Brahmagupta, an Indian astronomer, wrote a text called Brahmasphutasiddhanta in the sixth century, which is the first document to discuss zero as a number.

Previous studies have suggested that Bakhshali manuscript dates from between the 8th and 12th century, based on the style of writing.

But the new carbon dating reveals that the manuscript, which consists of 70 fragile leaves of birch bark, is composed of material from at least three different periods.

Richard Ovenden, librarian at the Bodley Library, which houses the manuscript, said: 'Determining the date of the Bakhshali manuscript is of vital importance to the history of mathematics and the study of early South Asian culture and these surprising research results testify to the subcontinent's rich and longstanding scientific tradition.'

The Bakhshali manuscript will go on public display at the Science Museum in London as part of the exhibition Illuminating India: 5000 Years of Science and Innovation, opening 4 October 2017.

Before starting your gobbledygook you should have at least tried to google Bakhshali manuscript .

It has been clearly established Bakhshali manuscript is an Indigenous Hindu Treatise .
Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

http://cincinnatitemple.com/articles/Bakhshali-Manuscript.pdf

if i am not wrong it was founded by vedic brahmins originally, thank you for making me realize how great my ancestors were !

Back
Top Bottom