What's new

AW129 Multi-Role Combat Helicopter, Italy ! a replacement of COBRA's?

Ok forget about all these costly helos....First Americans don't give a crap about us why should we??

How about buy Iranian copies of cobras even if they are not superior and get some 60 of them.

What do you guys think?? Makes sense start will low tech ppl look at ur finances and pocket don't dream atleast not for next 7 years exactly.

Ok forget about all these costly helos....First Americans don't give a crap about us why should we??

How about buy Iranian copies of cobras even if they are not superior and get some 60 of them.

What do you guys think?? Makes sense start will low tech ppl look at ur finances and pocket don't dream at least not for next 7 years exactly.

i dont see how we can do that. first of all, Iran would like to keep for them self first as they are already short and outdated with their equipments. PA is only interested in low clocked hours air frame and plan to upgrade them with super cobra or Zullu technology from US. i dont see Iran can offer any of those.

Sir, i understand you are some how right but tell me do we have any Finances! at all to get even high tech helos? can we afford helos each costing 20 plus million dollars?never..
And are you so sure Iran won't offer it?

Sir, i understand you are some how right but tell me do we have any Finances! at all to get even high tech helos? can we afford helos each costing 20 plus million dollars?never..
And are you so sure Iran won't offer it?

lol when wasnt pakistan on financial crisis?, i am sure we will recover with in 2-3 years max! i think you are forgetting one thing here, pakistan military has its own defence export revenue. this year it touched 300+ million dollars, and by the end of 2010 it will be over 500 million dollars! the picture is not so bad as being portrayed.

Last edited:
lol when wasnt pakistan on financial crisis?, i am sure we will recover with in 2-3 years max! i think you are forgetting one thing here, pakistan military has its own defence export revenue. this year it toughed 300+ million dollars, and by the end of 2010 it will be over 500 million dollars! the picture is not so bad as being portrayed.

23march; sir
you had, cleared the wrong perceptions very nicly, in young sir's mind.
i agree, to you up to my neck.:tup::agree:

I want to share this video with you broes.

Enjoy !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that South African company I mentioned earlier ATE Aerspace will reincarnate the Rooivalk into the NAH:

By: Martin Zhuwakinyu
Published: 12 Sep 08 - 9:00

South African aviation and defence company Advanced Technologies and Engineering (ATE) has embarked on conceptual planning for the development of what is to be known as the New Attack Helicopter (NAH), external affairs director Lorris Duncker tells Engineering News.

This comes on the back of the successful upgrade of the Russian-made Mi-24 helicopter, now in production for the air force of a North African country and the demonstration of another upgraded Russian stalwart – the Mi-17 combat helicopter – to an unnamed potential customer.

The Mi-17 upgrade entailed the night vision goggle-compatible conversion of all cockpit and cabin lighting, external navigation and formation lighting and the inclusion of infrared landing lights. It also included the installation of glass cockpit avionics, a sighting system and a weapons system that incorporates twin 23-mm cannons in pylon slung pods, eight Ingwe missiles on stub-wing outboard stations, rocket pods and chaff and flare countermeasures.

The demonstration of the upgraded Mi-17 helicopter, expected to lead to the signing of a deal early next year, took place in the potential customer's country.

"The Mi-17 upgrade success is based upon the capability and experience that ATE has created, both in itself and in the South African defence industry, when it upgraded a large fleet of Russian Mi-24 helicopters aimed at significantly enhancing its operational performance," says Duncker.

He states that the design philosophy for the NAH "is to use proven and operational weapons systems and to design an airframe around that, rather than following some existing design phisolophies, which focus predominantly on the airframe, leaving the weapons system development to the last".

It is envisaged that the platform features of the NAH will include a tandem layout; an all-composite airframe with integral infrared suppressors; and an engine, a gearbox and a drivetrain similar to those on the South African-made Rooivalk attack helicopter.

It will also feature a weapons system comprising a turret-mounted 20-mm dual-feed cannon with a range of up to 2 000 m; guided and unguided rockets; canister-protected, and laser beam-riding guided Ingwe missiles on stub-wing outboard stations, boasting a range of 500 m to 5 000 m. The missiles will be capable of penetrating 950 mm rolled homogeneous armour.

The weapons system will also boast chaff and flare countermeasures coupled to the mission electronic warfare system, including missile approach warning, radar warning and laser warning.

The NAH's avionics will include a three-screen glass cockpit for each crew station, a digital map with Doppler/global positioning system hybrid navigation, a communications and electronic warfare suite, an identification-of-friend-or-foe system and a voice/data recorder.

The sighting system will comprise a nose-mounted system, boasting three field-of-view forward-looking infrared and three field-of-view TVs; provision for laser range finding; autotracking, missile guidance and laser designation capabilities; a helmet-mounted sighting system for cannon and sight cueing; and binocular vision displays on the visors of both crew members. Aiming and flight information will be displayed in the field of view.

"The focus of the NAH will be to transfer technology and to create the capability for a new helicopter industry in the country of the prospective customer," says Duncker.

Meanwhile, ATE has announced the successful flight qualification of composite main rotor blades for the Mi-24 helicopter and the completion of the preliminary design and characterisation of composite blades for the Mi-17 helicopter, the development of which has started.

"Composite blades have an infinite operating life and an infinite shelf life, thus enabling operators to procure a single set of composite blades for the lifespan of the helicopter, whereas, previously, six sets of metal blades would have to be procured," says Duncker.

"Composite rotor blades could replace metal blades without any change or modification to the helicopter, its procedures and performance or the standard documentation."

In another development, ATE is to unveil a Pall vortex engine air particle separator system for the Mi-24 helicopter at the Africa Aerospace and Defence 2008 exhibition, to be held in Cape Town on September 17 to 21. The new system will provide protection to the engine from fine sand and dust particles, thereby doubling its operating life.

If not the NAH then the upgrade for the Mi17 is certainly worth considering.

The logic behind this madness is that it basically the planned Denel Rooivalk II which was cancelled in the wake of losing the Turkish ATAK competition. If considered as a Rooivalk it will be lighter, smaller and cheaper. Also the avionics and weapon systems will newer and modular.

This will make it more competitive with the A129/T129 as it will be similar if not better in capability.

Last edited:
Sir 23 March i do understand what you are saying it is true u know more than i do but 300-400 million dollars in revenue how much are you going to spare it for buying helos? 12 helos?=$200 Million appx may be more its like we are wasting money i rather spend it on In Home Cruise missiles than purchasing Sweet Dream Helos. Lets just wait and watch. Hope to learn more from you guys thanks...

Seems that South African company I mentioned earlier ATE Aerspace will reincarnate the Rooivalk into the NAH:
Excellent find JK!

Definitely opens another possibility for PA's attack helicopter requirement...the ToT offer for fledgling aviation industries is a definite plus. I think NAH could be a serious competitor as it may allow Pakistan to procure a considerable number of attack helicopters in the long-run for Army, Marines, special groups, etc.

Excellent find JK!

Definitely opens another possibility for PA's attack helicopter requirement...the ToT offer for fledgling aviation industries is a definite plus. I think NAH could be a serious competitor as it may allow Pakistan to procure a considerable number of attack helicopters in the long-run for Army, Marines, special groups, etc.

I have always been a fan of South African equipment as it is tough and hard wearing due to the conditions out there.

The original Rooivalk was designed to be operational in harsh conditions and I can see the same for the NAH.

indian friend forget the name of z 10

z10 has not established itself. yet. i didnt forget to mention it. i just don't know its capabilities and couldn't find much info on it.

i have only mentioned helicopters whose capabilities are known. Z10 is still a mystery.

I have always been a fan of South African equipment as it is tough and hard wearing due to the conditions out there.

The original Rooivalk was designed to be operational in harsh conditions and I can see the same for the NAH.
Indeed, it's that and the offer of ToT designed for new comers to the aircraft manufacturing group that makes NAH an attractive prospect. Another thing that came to mind is how similar NAH is to the JF-17 in that an aircraft is being designed to house established weapon-systems. PAF decided to adopt JF-17 for the sake of acquiring BVR and PGS capabilities among the backbone of its forces.

Back
Top Bottom