What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

if they were inside a building or buildings they will have pockets of air to breath.....and obviously they were well insulated so freezing will be delayed....and snow also behaves as an insulator...

it all depends on how quick they are dug out.

Quite right...but an avalanche is like a tsunami....It just destroys everything in its path. But I sincerely hope you are right and they survive this horror.

RIP to the soldiers who did not make it.

if they were inside a building or buildings they will have pockets of air to breath.....and obviously they were well insulated so freezing will be delayed....and snow also behaves as an insulator...

it all depends on how quick they are dug out.

One of my friend told me that avalanch is proceeded by a layer of carbon mono oxide which kills instantly, can anyone confirm this as correct or otherwise

One of my friend told me that avalanch is proceeded by a layer of carbon mono oxide which kills instantly, can anyone confirm this as correct or otherwise

huh??????

i think this is joke fact

Most sources say that a person who is completely buried can live for about 18 minutes. Even though snow is porous and contains a lot of trapped oxygen, victims breathe their exhaled air, causing carbon dioxide poisoning. Warm breath also melts the snow, and it can re-freeze as a solid, non-porous layer of ice that oxygen cannot easily penetrate. With sizeable air pocket that is open to the outside, you can avoid suffocation, but you still run the risk of hypothermia and shock.

HowStuffWorks "Avalanches: The Science of Snow Disasters"

8-/

Very sad news, RIP to deceased soldiers. the whole siachin area is very tough & brutal for humans. more soldiers die there coz of nature than bullets.

CO doesn't kill people instantly.
It depends on the saturated levels of CO. My neighbor got killed in 10 mins after he went into the closed garage with the car idling for more than 30 mins.

RIP to the brave souls who did not survive.

These troops are well trained in snow survival. They are properly clothed for the climate and have proper eqpt, food and medicine. If they are merely trapped then they will come out alive. But at this stage we really do not know if the avalanche had actually engulfed them completely. The parent unit and formation will have contingencies prepared and rehearsed to act promptly in such eventuality - which is not totally unexpected in this area. It's best not to speculate without the full info coming out.

just a tragedy, brings us back to rethink why are soldiers stationed in such hostile climatic conditions. India and Pakistan should come to an agreement and draw-down the troops from these heights.

Unfortunately this seems an extraordinary slide. The Pakistani army spokesperson said to the BBC that it was a slide of 1000m x 1000m i.e. a square km. That kind of slide would pack humongous power flattening everything in its path. The sheer quantum of snow required to make up a slide of that size is horrendously large. The situation is probably very grim.

These troops are well trained in snow survival. They are properly clothed for the climate and have proper eqpt, food and medicine. If they are merely trapped then they will come out alive. But at this stage we really do not know if the avalanche had actually engulfed them completely. The parent unit and formation will have contingencies prepared and rehearsed to act promptly in such eventuality - which is not totally unexpected in this area. It's best not to speculate without the full info coming out.

this avalanchecwas not normal..
it was "massive" as ISPR spokesman said.

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - An avalanche slammed into a Pakistani military camp near the disputed Kashmir border with rival India on Saturday, burying more than 100 soldiers, with no sign of survivors 12 hours later, the army said.

The soldiers were trapped near the Siachen Glacier in the Karakoram mountain range.

"This avalanche hit a (military) headquarters. Over 100 soldiers and personnel are trapped," army spokesman Major-General Athar Abbas told Reuters, adding that a total of 117 soldiers were stationed there.

A helicopter rescue team was searching for survivors with sniffer dogs, he added.

"This happened at six o'clock. These avalanches usually happen at night. It took them by surprise," said Abbas.

Siachen is in the northern part of the Himalayan region of Kashmir.

Muslim-majority Kashmir is at the heart of hostility between India and Pakistan and was the cause of two of their three wars. The fourth was over the founding of Bangladesh.

Described as the world's highest battlefield, for two decades India and Pakistan fought at altitudes of over 20,000 feet in minus 60 degrees Celsius temperatures.

Indian and Pakistani forces, estimated to number between 10,000 and 20,000 troops combined, still face off against each other in mountains above the glacier.

But there is a tentative peace process under way with Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari scheduled to meet Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday, the first visit to India by a Pakistani head of state since 2005.

The no-man's-land of Siachen is 20,000 feet above sea level. Military experts say the inhospitable climate and avalanche-prone terrain have claimed more lives than gunfire
this latest update which i share with u

at 1000x1000 meter..thats a million cubic meter of ice and snow..
ice density is about 0.9 and non compacted snow density about 0.5.
Thats a mean density of 0.7.
That makes the weight of the avalanche at 700,000 tons....
Thats about 10 aircraft carriers hurtling down the mountain at 100 miles an hour...
imagine the destructive force.

The reported area is 1 sq km. And that is a huge area to search.

Chances are slim but we can have hope and there can be miracles. Nobody alive so far.

Now it is night time, rescue op might have been stopped now, or at a very slow pace, lets pray now.

DG ISPR said that search effort will go on until the last soldier is found.

Back
Top Bottom