What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

After a few more days, in order to preserve the dignity of those soldiers, and given the extreme difficulty and danger in retrieving the bodies, it may be that declaring the areas a a graveyard with markings could be a prudent option.

I think the bodies of all 138 men should be found and accounted for. It helps maintain the precedent usually followed in armed forces of leaving no man behind.

Looking at the pictures it seems like a lot of dirt and rocks came down with the snow, mixing it up into a slush.

I think the bodies of all 138 men should be found and accounted for. It helps maintain the precedent usually followed in armed forces of leaving no man behind.

Looking at the pictures it seems like a lot of dirt and rocks came down with the snow, mixing it up into a slush.

I respect that sentiment; it is perfectly understandable.

However, at what point does recovery mean digging up those who should be left in peace? The operation itself poses grave risks to the rescuers too, please don't forget that aspect.

................ wat shld i write to u :| i guess u dont see old posts just come and post a new one ... well read the thread from where u left it ....

Yes, I have read your posts.

I respect that sentiment; it is perfectly understandable.

However, at what point does recovery mean digging up those who should be left in peace?

In our culture, the last rites have their own importance and a proper burial is important. Hence I think they would want to be recovered.

The only thing I think that has to be managed is risk in terms of further loss of life among the 450 rescuers (which is a large number) and the reward of recovering Pakistan's finest. Moreover I think if my loved one was there and if my government quits in 10 days I would be left wondering what if some of them were alive? I get a terrible feeling just thinking about it, imagine to actually be in those shoes.

Its not 100% rational, but it is human. It is hard to be rational about it right now. Let's cross this bridge when we come to it. In time, the human mind would adjust to what seems nonadjustable right now.

Karachi—Pakistan State Oil (PSO) is fuelling the relief efforts being undertaken in the Siachen glacier region through the supply of High Speed Diesel (HSD) to the Pakistan Army.

PSO has dispatched an immediate consignment of 40,000 liters of HSD for use in the rescue operations taking place in the Gyari region of Siachen. These rescue efforts are taking place in the wake of an avalanche that engulfed an army camp on Saturday morning, and left 135 brave soldiers buried under mounds of snow. Keeping in view the urgency of the situation, PSO not only provided the fuel supplies on a priority basis; it has also geared up its logistical operations in the region to ensure continouos and ongoing support for the armed forces.

PSO in its role as the country’s leading fuel supplier has always stood by the nation in its times of need. The company also pledges that it will continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Pakistan Army and prays for the safe return of our brave soldiers.

the media took 2 days to wake up.

Saw on BBC that 9 miners in Peru have been trapped, and the president was there all night in the mouth of the mine.

And the PPP says at the 8 o clock circus shows that the soldiers were of the army and hence it is the main responsibility of army chief, not of the president to cancel his visit if India. Essentially meaning, he does not own up to his duties.

I agree with this, Life of 150+ soldiers is a critical priority when compared with diplomatic travel to India!

In our culture, the last rites have their own importance and a proper burial is important. Hence I think they would want to be recovered.

The only thing I think that has to be managed is risk in terms of further loss of life among the 450 rescuers (which is a large number) and the reward of recovering Pakistan's finest. Moreover I think if my loved one was there and if my government quits in 10 days I would be left wondering what if some of them were alive? I get a terrible feeling just thinking about it, imagine to actually be in those shoes.

Its not 100% rational, but it is human. It is hard to be rational about it right now. Let's cross this bridge when we come to it. In time, the human mind would adjust to what seems nonadjustable right now.

I understand your point perfectly well.

I hope that the recovery is as quick and safe as humanly possible.

=====================================

Excerpt from: http://dawn.com/2012/04/11/bad-weather-continues-to-hamper-avalanche-search-efforts/

Harsh weather conditions hampering the search for 138 people buried under a huge avalanche at a Pakistani army camp will last at least another 24 hours, a senior meteorological official said Wednesday.

As more than 450 rescuers worked in sub-zero temperatures, experts said there was little chance of finding any survivors at the site, which is at an altitude of around 4,000 metres (13,000 feet).

The site of the Gayari camp has been hit by heavy snow in recent days and Arif Mahmood, the head of the Pakistan Meteorological Department said the bad weather was likely to last another day.

“The harsh weather conditions in Gayari will begin to improve from midday Thursday”, Mahmood told AFP in Islamabad.

“However, it will remain overcast today with thunderstorms and snowfall in Gayari and its surrounding areas.”

Rescuers have been using mechanical diggers and shovels to dig through the vast expanse of snow, rock and ice dumped by the avalanche, but efforts to fly in more heavy equipment have been hindered by the weather.

Another weather official, who was supervising weather forecasts for the area, told AFP that the temperature at Gayari would be around minus eight to 10 degrees Celsius.

BRING THE SOLDIERS BACK......... THEY DESERVE A DECENT BURIAL AND THEIR LOVED ONES DESERVE TO SEE THEM FOR THE LAST TIME.

Pakistan Army should buy 5 - 7 Chinook Helicopters .... AT-LEAST NOW!

and If US not interested to sell go for some Russian Heavy lifter.

After a few more days, in order to preserve the dignity of those soldiers, and given the extreme difficulty and danger in retrieving the bodies, it may be that declaring the areas a a graveyard with markings could be a prudent option.

No they have to be found out, the bodies are not buried under the ground and most probably the soldiers will be trapped under varying depths of snow/ice layer. This complete spill over will melt in a season or two and then those bodies will appear or may be washed away with flowing water. Moreover there is no tradition of leaving bodies of comrades like this.

the media took 2 days to wake up.

Saw on BBC that 9 miners in Peru have been trapped, and the president was there all night in the mouth of the mine.

And the PPP says at the 8 o clock circus shows that the soldiers were of the army and hence it is the main responsibility of army chief, not of the president to cancel his visit if India. Essentially meaning, he does not own up to his duties.

That's great, I appreciate other presidents care their people, I read some of billionaires gave shelters, foods, small house, and rent free including education to those millions poor people and childrens for long-terms. Welcome to Pakistan's worst mentality who never done anything to us any goods. They will throw you to the garbages by serving goods on Pakistan.

Zindabad?

Bhai Saheb
Please settle down. I know you are angry at the loss of lives here. But understand the subtleties of working in a sub zero environment and a mine. We are talking about 84 ft of snow before we can locate the men. Try being out there in day and night in that rarified atmosphere. It is not easy especially for men that have been brought to the area and are not locals of the area. PA is utilizing all the resources it can muster up under very trying circumstances under the watchful eye of an ever critical press. They are doing the best that they can. An analysis of the event and its responsibility if any can be assigned later. Please take the time to appreciate the work of the rescuers as well.
the reason new rescuers have not been deployed is due to inclement weather . The last thing you want is for someone else dying there, or in the process odf getting there.
Regards
Araz

Sorry sir, I can't help it. Pakistan has changed my perception alot, they haven't meet our expectation. All we can do is sit and type keyboard here along with same discussions and great pictures.

No they have to be found out, the bodies are not buried under the ground and most probably the soldiers will be trapped under varying depths of snow/ice layer. This complete spill over will melt in a season or two and then those bodies will appear or may be washed away with flowing water. Moreover there is no tradition of leaving bodies of comrades like this.

That is a good point.

Indian and Pakistani troops have been engaged in standoff on the glacier since 1984.
However, the guns have largely been silent since late 2003, when the two countries put in place a ceasefire along the frontiers in Jammu and Kashmir, including the Actual Ground Position Line in Siachen.

The Pakistan Army's deployment on the glacier figured in parliament yesterday, with lawmakers from across the political divide seeking an immediate resolution of the Siachen standoff.

The parliamentarians pointed out that more people died of harsh weather than bullets on Siachen.

Speaking on a point of order in a joint session of parliament, Awami National Party leader Haji Muhammad Adeel said during the past three decades, Pakistan and India had lost more lives on Siachen due to extreme weather.

He contended that a Pakistani soldier is killed every third day while India loses a soldier every second day.

Besides, the troop deployments have weakened the foundations of glaciers and this leads to natural disasters like floods, Adeel said.

He suggested that Pakistan and India need to discuss the issue for immediate resolution.

Any proof on the bold part?

Is Pakistan ready to accept the LOC in Siachen as International Border in Siachen?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom