What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Safriz.

Really appreciated, well analysed. Another possibility to link with your post is, as the volume of ice increases for several reasons, the 'dam' could weaken and no longer take the pressure giving away it's strength. But for over twenty years, such incident didn't happen. Surely the PA engineers and geologists must have noticed if it were something like that.

Hi,

The structure looks stable as the Vertical ridges of ice holding the Ice pool is wider than the pool itself and should have held it.
Such structures don't collapse suddenly and if they collapse,they do so in phases...
The whole Ice pool,the Vertical ridges and much of the Glacier tongue appear to have slid off in one go,and i am baffled how this happened..It highly unusual.

Hi,

The structure looks stable as the Vertical ridges of ice holding the Ice pool is wider than the pool itself and should have held it.
Such structures don't collapse suddenly and if they collapse,they do so in phases...
The whole Ice pool,the Vertical ridges and much of the Glacier tongue appear to have slid off in one go,and i am baffled how this happened..It highly unusual.

It sure is. Heat and pulses could do that, but I doubt if any minor earthquake took place. They should carefully check the ritcherscale, if there were any quakes measure prior to those caused by the falling of glacier.

Usama.

Earthquake is a different scenario. There are air gaps and insulation against heat and cold, both. But in this case, there aren't any air gaps and there is no insulation from a temperature of near minus sixty degree centigrade.

There is a possibility of ventilation. Air pockets and gaps are not very uncommon.

.................. Well that is too much to ask from a civilian pathetic gov that couldnt even put the flags at half mast.
I wonder how many politicians or bureaucrats from the ministry of defense went to Siachen after the tragedy? Zardari, instead of jetting his way to India should have visited Siachen instead to at least show solidarity and see for himself the rescue efforts being undertaken. But this photo op trip to India seemed more important than 138 soldiers trapped under 80 feet of snow!

And Bilawal was happily hitting it out with Rahul, munching the choicest delicacies while jawans lay trapped under a mountain of ice!

What's with these bozos? I mean WTF?

Usama.

Earthquake is a different scenario. There are air gaps and insulation against heat and cold, both. But in this case, there aren't any air gaps and there is no insulation from a temperature of near minus sixty degree centigrade.

No, troops were in buildings so obviously there are good chances of air gaps (area containing some air) but of course air not sufficient to last that long.

Hi,

Perhaps instead of looking at the dam and the ice pool behind, one should look at the point of fracture. Why did it fracture at that point? The main glacier is said to have retreated 800 metres in recent years; was some similar process taking place here? Did that process of decay open up a fissure at the point of fracture? Did something like the polar phenomenon of calving, where the edges of the polar ice-cap break off in huge chunks and fall into the neighbouring sea, to become ice bergs, take place here?

I wonder how many politicians or bureaucrats from the ministry of defense went to Siachen after the tragedy? Zardari, instead of jetting his way to India should have visited Siachen instead to at least show solidarity and see for himself the rescue efforts being undertaken. But this photo op trip to India seemed more important than 138 soldiers trapped under 80 feet of snow!

And Bilawal was happily hitting it out with Rahul, munching the choicest delicacies while jawans lay trapped under a mountain of ice!

What's with these bozos? I mean WTF?

I havent heard of any presence of the politicians. To be honest - it would be simply for the media and offering lip service. I would rather the likes of Zardari kept away as his face wouldnt help the fate of the jawaans - in fact hinder any efforts that are taking place.
In times like this - moronic fool Zardari is completely out of touch. I saw the pics and his speech with Mr Singh - not a mention of the tragedy - unless i missed it. What was a facepalm moment was how he dragged his little boy into the limelight grooming him for future raping of the countries coffers.
I dont wish to get too endulged with the corruptos politicos on this thread in particular.
I am sadly and heavy hearted and coming to terms with the fact these soldiers are no longer with us and i pray their souls rest in peace. These moments and times must be heart breaking for the families. Lets pray for them too.

A mere glimpse of rows upon rows of flag-draped coffins is a powerful motivator of emotions. I hope the nation will bear this tragedy with the dignity that it deserves without infighting or other political scoring.

A horrific sight indeed.

A day of national mourning and flags at half mast should be declared once all the bodies are accounted for.

A horrific sight indeed.

A day of national mourning and flags at half mast should be declared once all the bodies are accounted for.

Let's hope and pray for the men, for the time being.

I havent heard of any presence of the politicians. To be honest - it would be simply for the media and offering lip service. I would rather the likes of Zardari kept away as his face wouldnt help the fate of the jawaans - in fact hinder any efforts that are taking place.
In times like this - moronic fool Zardari is completely out of touch. I saw the pics and his speech with Mr Singh - not a mention of the tragedy - unless i missed it. What was a facepalm moment was how he dragged his little boy into the limelight grooming him for future raping of the countries coffers.
I dont wish to get too endulged with the corruptos politicos on this thread in particular.
I am sadly and heavy hearted and coming to terms with the fact these soldiers are no longer with us and i pray their souls rest in peace. These moments and times must be heart breaking for the families. Lets pray for them too.

I think it our fault that we were expecting too much, rather than criticizing that moron.

Did anyone see the circus show that goes on after 8 o clock nationwide on the TV how the PPP puts up lame excuses to defend Zardari.

All for another thread though.

Let's hope and pray for the men, for the time being.

All we can do at the moment.

No, troops were in buildings so obviously there are good chances of air gaps (area containing some air) but of course air not sufficient to last that long.

I wish it should be such as you are assuming but these avalanches come with massive force, buildings are nothing and these sweep everything which come in their way. But miracles do happen though not very often, lets hope for the one.

I wish it should be such as you are assuming but these avalanches come with massive force, buildings are nothing and these sweep everything which come in their way. But miracles do happen though not very often, lets hope for the one.

There is a possibility of ventilation. Air pockets and gaps are not very uncommon.
That is hardly possible, in the case of 80ft of thick and hardened snow.
The buildings had to fight their way against a huge mass of hard ice accelerating at great speed! Though they were made strong enough for such incident, this was too huge for a scale.
The real danger is hypothermia even with surviving air pockets.
There are many different cases. The first and foremost is the force of the ice/snow which would have struck at building, possibly making them collapse and crush the poor men.

Anyways, here is a picture of Lt. Col. Tanveer, the Commanding Officer of the battalion. This was taken in Gyari sector on March 23, 2011.
540362_10150743360899243_321784449242_9350699_1762554136_n.jpg

Is there any estimate about how much more time required to reach the bottom and take out soldiers?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom