What's new

Attack on PAF Base Minhas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest out of AHQ - MINHAS AIRBASE COMMANDER RECOMMENDED FOR EARLY RETIREMENT MINUS BENEFITS BY THE INVESTIGATION BOARD - and please do not 'eat' my head on this as this news is from a source inside the AHQ and the final decision in this regards has to be given by the CAS. So yes, it could go either way!

Latest out of AHQ - MINHAS AIRBASE COMMANDER RECOMMENDED FOR EARLY RETIREMENT MINUS BENEFITS BY THE INVESTIGATION BOARD - and please do not 'eat' my head on this as this news is from a source inside the AHQ and the final decision in this regards has to be given by the CAS. So yes, it could go either way!

Base commandar had a specefic Intel his base would be attacked. Despite of this He didn't care to plug the weak spots and terrorists manage to breach two layers of security and damaged an AWAC and in order to hide his incompetence, Base commander tried to engage in heroics. He should have seen that coming.

When the country is at a state of war, i don't understand how can people be so negligent and that too at such important places such as a base commander.Astonishing:tdown:

Kamra airbase attack: Preliminary investigation report compiled

ISLAMABAD - A preliminary investigation report on the August 16 attack on Pakistan Air Force’s (PAF) Kamra air base has been compiled which claims that the attackers had no insider help.
According to a private TV channel, the report said that the weapons used by the attackers were of Russian origin and that the militants used five hand grenades and fire three rocket propelled grenades (RPG)s in the attack. During inspections, investigators also collected 223 spent casings of AK-47 rifles used by the assailants in the attack.
Two of the attackers have been identified and one of them was reported to be a resident of Taxila.

Kamra airbase attack: Preliminary investigation report compiled | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

All secure areas need to have better relationship with the civilian neighbours---that is the first line of defence against the intruders---. They need to be your friends---they need to be your go to guys---they need to be the frontline----and you need to give them security against the terrorists---and you need to find ways to reward them for their good deeds---you need to get them on your side---you need to make them believe in you---this is all about marketing----marketing yourself is one of the biggest part of security---.

during the 80s, it was in fact a smart thinking local Shepard who identified a suspicious looking rock that was placed near the road that was used by the vehicles to and from the Khauta plant. he reported that out to the military intelligence and later on that rock was identified to be containing sensors.
Bottomline is that either you have marketed yourself better to your neighbours or your enemies have marketed themselves to your neighbours---it would be rather you who needs to win---.

You need to find ways to have your neighbors contact you in a secure manner---they need to inform you of any new comers in the area---they need to tell you who is doing anything suspicious---. Now think about it---what would something like that cost you---ie the base---some extra sugar---milk---cooking oil---clothing---some other goodies---treat these neighbors right and make them your watchdogs----.

I recall another incident where a European Diplomat was bundled up and roughed up after he was reported by the locals in the sensitive area again it was during the 80s

fast forward in time, it seems that nationalism and patriotism is replaced by fanaticism and pseudo world jihadism and for that people are not only the willing hosts of throat slitting terrorists but also willing to offer their homes to store explosives in a densely populated areas.
These financially poor terrorists are going to find refuge in the poor housing areas or maybe blue color workers areas---that is where they would make their planning---.

maybe not financially poor, they are quite resourceful to be able to wage a decade old war with a state. maybe they are financially shrewd and able to carry out operations with least footprints.
So far---all our security breaches have been due to a lack of common sense kind of security enforcement---. None of these breaches have been due to the reason of anything involving high tech items used by the terrorists.

I appreciate the comments of many a posters about this issue---but please----do the basics first---don't ride the wave of technology all the time---. Technology can be sabotaged as well---human factor is still the most important factor in countering tthe challenges of security breaches.

basic human intelligence has been the bread and butter of our 'modus operandi', our agents dont use pocket sized gadgets that link up with satellites and when needed can change into a rocket pack or a speed boat when needed. they hang around where public is about and then report back. these terrorists are a paranoid lot and they are extra careful, in the tribal areas our intelligence services have lost a lot of field operatives and informants. TTP and BLA are very generous in executing only on the bases of suspicions. they even killed little children who were seen taking sweets from army checkposts in Parachinar few years back on the suspicion that they were spying for the Pak army.

oh by the way.. thats my 5000th post ;)

^ We lost more than 50 Intelligence agents while infiltrating NWA terrorist networks. Mentioned in some report which discussed how difficult it is to establish a spy network in tribal areas

oh by the way.. thats my 5000th post ;)

Congrats on the 5000's post! :)

You're right about the human element of our intelligence, they used to rely almost completely on that, during the 80's and 90's.

In early 90's got invited couple of times to 'garden BBQ's' @ Kahuta. I don't remember being checked EVEN ONCE, all my way to the labs, I mean not even once, and strangely as soon as I arrived, everyone knew the exact times when I passed through different areas (beginning from F7, Islamabad). Additionally, during those days I don't remember a single surveillance camera in place, nor a single check post all the way to the main door (gate) of the labs!

Edit: I was asked for my car number plates three days in advance, initially, only once, after that.........NEVER!

I would say turning a blind eye - more than support - but it is a good sign - is it not.
I think the game plan has changed. After failing at every @ CIA double plan, now they've realized, do Pakistan's bidding else no one is getting outta here till 2114......ooooppps sorry 2014.... :D

during the 80s, it was in fact a smart thinking local Shepard who identified a suspicious looking rock that was placed near the road that was used by the vehicles to and from the Khauta plant. he reported that out to the military intelligence and later on that rock was identified to be containing sensors.

Just adding to it, US military have been playing around with these gadgets quite for a while now. A system was discovered in the tribal areas 2 years ago, consisting of a couple of rock-like objects. Day/Night cameras, thermal imagery and very sensitive acoustic sensors were installed in it. The system had a battery life of 6-8 months.

It was being used to assist intelligence gathering for the UCAV attacks. It had the capability to intercept satellite phone transmissions in the vicinity, match it up against the stored voice data of important targets, triangulate the position of the satellite phone and bring in the UCAV. That is how drone strikes have been so frequent and accurate.

The deployed but yet-to-be-seen US military technologies like the Stealth Blackhawks are indeed surprising. One can only imagine what they use to spy on other nations' nuclear assets.

This is the first time that the attackers were traced all the way to their homes via NADRA database..
I have never heard of another incident when the terrorists had been identified to their home addresses....

This is the first time that the attackers were traced all the way to their homes via NADRA database..
I have never heard of another incident when the terrorists had been identified to their home addresses....

It has happened many times before.

One thing to appreciate, NADRA database has really helped the Pakistani state.

Irfan,

Thank you---thank you that you responded---. There is nothing better than the co-operation of the civilians for security of fixed operations.

The problems have arisen because this idea has not been marketed very well by the state---I mean to say that this should have been a part and parcel of the wall signs and posters---. People should have been encouraged to take charge of their nation and their destiny---call about suspicioius people / strangers gathering in your area---.

People need a regular dose of nationalism from their defence forces on regular basis---we assume that people will remember to be patriotic----they are---but sometimes they forget and sometimes they are lazy---they just need to be pushed and nudged in the right direction all the time.

If simple issues of security can be addressed right from the gitgo---and their importance conveyed to the ones providing security and to those seeking security---you have a win win situation.

The buyer needs to know how important basic service is for a car---how important basic maintenance is to the structure of your house---. The buyer in this case is the base management---they are the ones who have to believe in the first place what it is all about and what is at stake---.

There must also be an independent inspector of the base security---. That would have been the first thing that I would have done---have an independant security inspector---to come in and tear apart the the holes and lack of security---if the security met the basic threshold of protection---one warning to the base commander---but if the inspection shows below the base threshold level---immediate termination of the base commander.

The base inspector---the base commanders must have fear of that name---nothing like fear to get your tail up in the air and get you going.

Irfan---these are simple and basic rules of security and security management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom