What's new

Atheist Conversion to Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty bad example for an atheist. :| Generally people become atheist after learning science.

What Atheism has anything to do with Science lol

Atheism is a belief just like theism. Atheists cannot disprove existence of God but still they believe God don't exist.
So believe in God is as much logical as having disbelieve in him

so this guy converted from one belief to another :P

The point is that you can discredit every known religious text of their claim of being true. You are doing the usual exercise of stating that science cannot explain everything. Maybe but so what? Everything that is explained as true in religious texts is invariably nonsense and can never have proof as its backing. Which is why it is called belief. This business of trying to find gaps in explanations and attempting to insert God into it (for which the same person needs no proof) is not tenable because those gaps are getting smaller as our understanding grows. Sure, more gaps will open up elsewhere & the interested ones will rush there to claim the absence of proof (temporarily) as proof of presence of God. Not one of those arguing will defend the texts that constitute present religious belief since they are essentially indefensible. The honest way to do the defending of the "God idea" would be to jettison present beliefs & come up with a more complex one as suggested by you - a indirect belief. What a "religious scientist" might attribute to God is simply not compatible with ordinary religious beliefs.

I am not defending religious dogma, most of which is allegorical anyway. I am simply defending the concept of God, a self-guided, purposeful entity. The edifice of science is built of logic and experimentation, but the foundation rests on unprovable axioms, i.e. faith. The edifice is so huge, and the foundations so obscure and 'obvious', that most people don't accept the element of faith, but it is there all the same.

Basically, I am saying that science is not incompatible with belief in God. Throughout history, the greatest minds of science have held a firm belief in God. These people understood the scientific method better than most, including its limits.

Frankly, I find the arrogance of atheists charming. It is like a little boy who learned a few things and now thinks he knows it all.

Addressed, but not quite convincing. Science is reasoning. It is NOT based on unprovable axioms, but based on experimentation and observation to find solutions to problems, in the process prove or disprove a theory. One cannot say the same about faith - in faith one does not/should not/must not question "established" beliefs.

I suggest you have a chat with your local physics or philosophy professor. Science, like all systems of logic, is based on fundamental, unprovable axioms. One of the core axioms of science is that the laws of nature are invariant across time and space. We have no way of proving it; we simply take it on faith.

Lol, lot of Matrix much?

The concept has been around for centuries, long before the movie. I only phrased it in terms of the Matrix because people would understand it more quickly.

How did god in its first time came into existence???? Theists please answer me!!!

You are applying the rules of science to faith. Faith, by definition, doesn't require proof. You either have faith or you don't.

What Atheism has anything to do with Science lol

Atheism is a belief just like theism. Atheists cannot disprove existence of God but still they believe God don't exist.
So believe in God is as much logical as having disbelieve in him

so this guy converted from one belief to another :P

As a believer, it could be hard for you to believe that people could exist without caring about God. Atheists don't follow codes on how to not believe in God. They just live their lives without bothering about religion, God or any other fairytales . So it is wrong to state that Atheism is believing in something.

Basically, I am saying that science is not incompatible with belief in God. Throughout history, the greatest minds of science have held a firm belief in God. These people understood the scientific method better than most, including its limits.

You are applying the rules of science to faith. Faith, by definition, doesn't require proof. You either have faith or you don't.

I agree completely. :tup:

I find it strange that some people think you need to choose between either Science or Faith.

They are not mutually exclusive. There are countless examples in history, of great scientific minds who also happened to be religious.

The reason I am an Atheist, is simply because I never decided to take up a religion (which means that I lack a belief in God). It has nothing to do with Science.

Waqas if you can prove to me god exists and your god is true god I'll Gladys convert. Inb4 scientific miricals in Koran.

Whether or not science can prove the existence of God is of course dependent on what we mean by God and this is a relevant place to start since many people might disagree on the definition. If God by definition is eternal or non physical being then obviously its not logical to use science to prove existence of God as he is not made of material substance and is not subject to spatial or temporal laws. Science presupposed a temporal dimension to work in but God is beyond time altogether. It seems that there is no conceivable scientific experiment one could set up that would either prove or disprove the existence of God as described by the aforementioned properties.

what before god ? No one actually know
What before big bang or t = 0? no one actually knows....

so whats the point....

I am not sure if god exists or not but i am sure bigoted humans made bigoted religons. Funny thing is they kill on the name of religon and blame it on god...

As a believer, it could be hard for you to believe that people could exist without caring about God. Atheists don't follow codes on how to not believe in God. They just live their lives without bothering about religion, God or any other fairytales . So it is wrong to state that Atheism is believing in something.
If you don't care about God then you are agnostic. If you care about existence of God then you are believer and if you try to prove believer as wrong then you are atheist :D
What i am saying is science has nothing to do with belief. You can be religious and can be very logical or rational person in field of science and you can be atheist and can do good in science. Logic/rationality is useful when you study science not religion

I agree completely. :tup:

I find it strange that some people think you need to choose between either Science or Faith.

They are not mutually exclusive. There are countless examples in history, of great scientific minds who also happened to be religious.

The reason I am an Atheist, is simply because I never decided to take up a religion (which means that I lack a belief in God). It has nothing to do with Science.

At the risk of putting words in your mouth, perhaps you are relying on science implicitly. You have 'faith' that science will explain everything, so you personally find no need to invoke a God.

Others, including scientists, are less sanguine. They temper that 'faith' in science by knowledge of its limitations. They may or may not fill the gap with God.

what before god ? No one actually know
What before big bang or t = 0? no one actually knows....

There are people who believe in pantheism. They believe that the universe itself is conscious. That every atom and molecule is part of a universal being, which is itself God, and which has existed outside of time.

for science something don't exist unless it get proven but did laws of science existed before science discovered them?

There are people who believe in pantheism. They believe that the universe itself is conscious. That every atom and molecule is part of a universal being, which is itself God, and which has existed outside of time.

i am not sure if you are talking about the concept of brahman in hinduism. As per the concept even universe itself all gods are self destructive apart from the supreme being every 100 brahmic years and then they are re generated and the cycle continues. And yes hinduism considers everything to be part of god himself which forms the very basic of idol worship in hinduism

If you don't care about God then you are agnostic. If you care about existence of God then you are believer and if you try to prove believer as wrong then you are atheist :D
What i am saying is science has nothing to do with belief. You can be religious and can be very logical or rational person in field of science and you can be atheist and can do good in science. Logic/rationality is useful when you study science not religion

Agnostic is someone who believes in God but is open to religious ideas. Atheist is just a non believer.

At the risk of putting words in your mouth, perhaps you are relying on science implicitly. You have 'faith' that science will explain everything, so you personally find no need to invoke a God.

Others, including scientists, are less sanguine. They temper that 'faith' in science by knowledge of its limitations. They may or may not fill the gap with God.

Maybe, although I am well aware that there are many shortcomings to Science. As you yourself pointed out on anther thread, the vast majority of the Universe is made up of Dark energy and Dark matter, of which we know almost nothing about. Then of course we have Quantum mechanics, which is even more confusing.

And trying to calculate things at the very instant of the big bang? Still not possible. We still have a lot of trouble with any kind of calculations that involve a singularity.

In fact, it is the "mystery" itself, that drives the entire field of scientific persuit.

To sum up, I believe that there is plenty of room for both Faith and Science.

And it confuses me that some people think otherwise.

i am not sure if you are talking about the concept of brahman in hinduism. As per the concept even universe itself all gods are self destructive apart from the supreme being every 100 brahmic years and then they are re generated and the cycle continues. And yes hinduism considers everything to be part of god himself which forms the very basic of idol worship in hinduism

Not knowing much about Hinduism or pantheism, I can only quote wikipedia. It will probably make more sense to you than me.

Pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is generally asserted that Hindu religious texts are the oldest known literature that contains Pantheistic ideas.[18] In Hindu theology, Brahman is the unchanging, infinite, immanent, and transcendent reality which is the Divine Ground of all things in this Universe, and is also the sum total of all that ever is, was, or ever shall be. This idea of pantheism is traceable from some of the more ancient Vedas and Upanishads to vishishtadvaita philosophy. All Mahāvākyas (Great Sayings) of the Upanishads, in one way or another, seem to indicate the unity of the world with the Brahmam. It further says “This whole universe is Brahman, from Brahman to a clod of earth." Pantheism is a key component of Advaita philosophy. Other subdivisions of Vedanta do not strictly hold this tenet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom