What's new

Ask your question about Iran

I guess everybody wants to be the opposite of what they are. It's like the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side". :)
Well Iran never hit the same heights as it did post-Islam. So a lot of people correlate that failure with Islam.
Where as if you look with Arabs, Turks, or subcontinent Muslims, they had their best period of history under Islam.
Answer to post 714

So why do the grand majority of iranians see the fall of the sassanids and post-islam iran in such negative light? I see it as a new begining that had brought such great people (Omar Khayyam,Al-Biruni,Ibn Sina and Al-Khwarezmi to name a few) and wave of culture that influenced everyone around them.Not that im crediting Islam for bringing this,but why isn't any of this appreciated as much as it should.

Our history and civilization was already great before the Arab conquest; unlike many other people, we didn't needed Islam to bring us civilization. Its actually a religion based on Arab traditions and values. Its the most darkest period in our history.

Nah, we love our own skin color...

We dont try to act like we're aryan or greek... and we dont suck up to germans just to act white...

I've actually met quite a few Pakistanis who tell me they have Greek heritage...

Nah, we love our own skin color...

We dont try to act like we're aryan or greek... and we dont suck up to germans just to act white...

Einstein, we say we're aryan b/c we're. Germans are as aryan as a box of hammers. They stole the word, they stole swastika etc...

Just b/c you got your education in a cave it doesn't mean we're trying to act German or whatever you think. Educate yourself on the real meaning of the word and then come back. Now stop giving people unnecessary heart burn with your nonsense horse manure

I have heard Iran has good movie industry ? How many movies you guys make ? And how is the box office collection ?

I don't know the figures for box office or number of movies. Maybe this wiki article can help:
Cinema of Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However what I do know is that all these movies that win major awards in the west aren't as popular inside of Iran. We have our own version of "bollywood" which makes crappy mainstream films and they are much more popular lol.

Einstein, we say we're aryan b/c we're. Germans are as aryan as a box of hammers. They stole the word, they stole swastika etc...
Just b/c you got your education in a cave it doesn't mean we're trying to act German or whatever you think. Educate yourself on the real meaning of the word and then come back. Now stop giving people unnecessary heart burn with your nonsense horse manure
Do you know German women used to come to Ladakh region of India and pay money for guys for a week to get pregnant. They still think they are Aryans where as this theory about German's being Aryan has been debunked.

Story told to me by a friend who lived in Germany for a year.

Our history and civilization was already great before the Arab conquest; unlike many other people, we didn't needed Islam to bring us civilization. Its actually a religion based on Arab traditions and values. Its the most darkest period in our history.

Perhaps,but post-Islam Iranians had practically set the stage for modern science and mathematics.
forgive me for my ignorance in the matter but I can't think of any Iranian achievments or notables in those fields before the 8th century besides the yakh-chal and the parthian battery.
there's more to a civilization then a huge- as$ empire and a bunch of satraps,right?

Its so funny when westerners laugh at Iranians or N-Indians when they use the word 'Aryan', thinking they deliberately try to copy their 'supremacy', while the word was used by both people when Germans were walking around in bear skins. Just like the Greeks called every non-Greek Barbarians, Iranians called every non-Iranian group 'Aniran' (non-Aryans):

Aniran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know the figures for box office or number of movies. Maybe this wiki article can help:
Cinema of Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However what I do know is that all this movies that win major awards in the west aren't as popular inside of Iran. We have our own version of "bollywood" which makes crappy mainstream films and they are much more popular lol.

Yeah Iranian movies win quite a lot of internation awards and it's interesting to note that most of these awards have been won in the past 20 years. The number of nominations are also increasing every decade it seems. There are basically two movie types in Iran: popcorn bollywood type movies and neorealism movies. Of course Iranians inside Iran don't like the second type b/c like all people around the world they watch movies to escape their daily problems, not to be reminded of them. But I love them. In France Iranian cinema has a cult following.

Here is a list of Grand prizes awarded to Iranian cinema by the most prestigious film festivals:

Cannes

First presence of Iranian cinema in Cannes dates back to 1991 when in the alleys of love by Khosrow Sinai and then 1992 when Life and nothing more by Abbas Kiarostami represented Iran in the festival.

Golden Palm: Abbas Kiarostami (1997)
Jury prize: Marjane Satrapi (2007)
Jury prize: Samira Makhmalbaf (2000 & 2003)
Golden Camera: Mohsen Amiryoussefi (2004), Hassan Yektapanah (2000), Bahman Ghobadi (2000), Jafar Panahi (1995)

Venice

Golden Lion: Jafar Panahi (2000)
Silver Lion: Abolfazl Jalili (for best direction-1995), Abbas Kiarostami (Grand Jury Prize 1999), Babak Payami (Best Director-2001)

Berlinale

Golden Bear: Asghar Farhadi (2011)
Silver Bear: Reza Naji (2008), Jafar Panahi (2006), Parviz Kimiavi (1976), Sohrab Shahid Saless (1974), Asghar Farhadi (2009) [Shirin Neshat] (2009)

Locarno

The first film from Iranian cinema that won a prize in Locarno festival was khaneie doost kojast directed by Abbas Kiarostami (1989).

Golden Leopard: Saman Salvar (2006), Abbas Kiarostami (2005), Jafar Panahi (1997).
Silver Leopard: Hassan Yektapanah (2004), Abolfazl Jalili (1998)

London

Sutherland Trophy: Marjane Satrapi (2007), Siddiq Barmak (2003), Samira Makhmalbaf (1998)

San Sebastian

Golden Shell: Bahman Ghobadi (2004 & 2006)
Silver Shell: Niki Karimi (1993)

FIPRESCI

Grand Prize: Jafar Panahi (2001)
FIPRESCI prize: Rakhshan Bani-Etemad (1995 & 1998), Abbas Kiarostami (1999), Marzieh Meshkini (2000), Mohsen Makhmalbaf (2001), Jamshid Usmonov (2002), Atiq Rahimi & Kambuzia Partovi (2004), Ramin Bahrani(2005), Kambuzia Partovi (2006), Bahman Ghobadi (2000 & 2006).

Lifelong achievement awards

Abbas Kiarostami: Prix Roberto Rossellini, Cannes Festival (1992)
Abbas Kiarostami: François Truffaut Award (1992)
Abbas Kiarostami: Honorary doctorate, École Normale Supérieure (2003)
Abbas Kiarostami: Federico Fellini Gold Medal, UNESCO (1997)
Behrouz Gharibpour: The Hans Christian Andersen Award (2002)
Abbas Kiarostami: Prix Henri Langlois Prize (2006)
Mohsen Makhmalbaf: Parajanov Award for outstanding Artistic contribution to the world cinema (2006)
Mohsen Makhmalbaf: Federico Fellini Gold Medal, UNESCO (2001)
Rakhshan Bani-Etemad: Prince Claus Awards (1998)
Ezatolah Entezami: UNESCO award (2006)
Farroukh Qasim: Prince Claus Awards (2004)
Behrooz Vossoughi, San Francisco International Film Festival "The Unvanquished" honoree (2006)
Jafar Panahi: Podo Award, at Valdivia Film Festival (2007)

The Annual Academy Awards (Oscar)

1970: Ray Aghayan (Best Costume Design Nominations for; Gaily, Gaily)
1997: Habib Zargarpour (Best Visual Effects Nominations for; Twister)
1997: Darius Khondji (Best Cinematography Nomination for; Evita)
1997: Hossein Amini (Nomination) for The Wings of the Dove
1999: Majid Majidi (Best Foreign Film Nomination, Children of Heaven)
2001: Habib Zargarpour (Best Visual Effects for; The Perfect Storm)
2004: Shohreh Aghdashloo (Best Supporting Actress Nomination, House of Sand and Fog)
2007: Kami Asgar, (Nomination) Best Sound Editing on Mel Gibson's Apocalypto.[49]
2008: Marjane Satrapi (Nomination) for her animation, Persepolis.
2012: Asghar Farhadi Best Foreign Film (Won) and Best Original Screenplay (Nominated), A Separation.

Golden Globe Awards

2011: Asghar Farhadi (Won) Best Foreign Language Film, A Separation

Perhaps,but post-Islam Iranians had practically set the stage for modern science and mathematics.
forgive me for my ignorance in the matter but I can't think of any Iranian achievments or notables in those fields besides the yakh-chal and the parthian battery.
there's more to a civilization then a huge- as$ empire and a bunch of satraps,right?

No Iranian achievements besides those two things? What about creating the richest city in the ancient world (Persepolis), building the fastest road (royal road) of the world and establishing one of the greatest bureaucratic apparatus in the ancient world? Or the canal of Dariush?

Islamic science was actually a continuation of Persian-Sassanid and Byzantine science. Iran had already a academic center before the Arabs came:

Academy of Gondishapur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some call themselves as Arab heritage. :D

Atleast we werent enslaved by every empire known to earth..

And some balochi tribes consider themselves as arab heritage, even i have arab heritage; my greats arrived in india from yemen as to escape the Ummayad Empire

@Abii You seen Tame gilas/Taste of cherry? The Kiarostami film that won the Palm d'or.

Its the only film I've seen that manages to be dull/boring and interesting at the same time lol

Last edited by a moderator:
And some balochi tribes consider themselves as arab heritage, even i have arab heritage; my greats arrived in india from yemen as to escape the Ummayad Empire

That explains the Arabness, both in culture and mentality, in your society. Be proud of it.

Why do you guys get so sensitive about the word Aryan?

And why you are saying Einstein dont you guys hate Jews ;)

I didnt get my education in a cave, but seems you did considering you're immaturity and how many mountains there are in Iran ;)

Back
Top Bottom