What's new

Ashok Leyland to supply 200 trucks to Bangladesh as part of $2-bn line of credit

About 2.5 percent in exports , not a huge number and wouldn't bangladesh lose a export destination too , and india isn't the only country you have deficit with
BD export to India is not a rosy picture as it is today so there is nothing to loose. If India can afford to loose tens of billions in earnings the coming years then theres no issue.

BD export to India is not a rosy picture as it is today so there is nothing to loose. If India can afford to loose tens of billions in earnings the coming years then theres no issue.
Not tens of billions , it's about 5-7 billion range

Not tens of billions , it's about 5-7 billion Do not copy this site's content!

«India’s exports to Bangladesh in FY 2018-19 stood at $9.21 billion and imports during the same period was at $1.04 billion»

If you lost access to Bangladesh market you would loose 100 billion USD in potential export earnings just in a decade. Not taken into account a potential for even higher export now that Bangladesh economy is accelerating.

«India’s exports to Bangladesh in FY 2018-19 stood at $9.21 billion and imports during the same period was at $1.04 billion»

If you lost access to Bangladesh market you would loose 100 billion USD in potential export earnings just in a decade. Not taken into account a potential for even higher export now that Bangladesh economy is accelerating.

Well , then it would be discriminatory taxation , and good luck with no trade with your nearest neighbour , how will you manage supply lines in case of some emergency ? With all your trading partners far away ?

Or even worse how will you negotiate with us with such a trade boycott after GSP+ graduation and india signing FTA with some of your largest export destination ? And mind you we have price advantage over you in textiles too without GSP+ , you guys take advantage of zero tarriff in EU

Sorry, but I don't find this news anything to be excited about.

A - it's throwaway disposable quality Indian trucks being sold to a foreign country only under the "offered credit" trickery. They can't really find buyers otherwise.

B - It's only 200 of them.

C - This further widens the trade deficit between us and India.

I see no reason why Indian trucks force-fed to Bangladesh market should be a source of joy to us.

Money wasted - in my opinion (as these will become inoperable in about 6 months). And another reason for these Indian bhakt gadhas to chest-beat.

These are the only dehati people I know who think they did us a favor by exporting something to us, which we bought with cold hard cash (that too only for govt. sector).

This India-shill ministry ba$tards keep on buying Indian garbage.

It is possible to say "no" to Indians, we should find out who okayed these purchases from India, and publicly name and shame these ba$tards.

Line of credit Facilities were for military hardware procurement if I am not wrong. May be Bangladesh govt decided to use that credit for something else to satisfy Indian.

i dont undestand. You know that India has a huge trade surplus with BD, right?

Your argument falls on its own unreasonableness.

BD is asking for zero tariff on their garment exports. The thing is India herself has a huge garment industry employing millions. BD has taken advantage of her "underdeveloped" status and has become a garment powerhouse.

India is open to import anything else. But BD has nothing much to offer except Garment and Jute.

BD is asking for zero tariff on their garment exports. The thing is India herself has a huge garment industry employing millions. BD has taken advantage of her "underdeveloped" status and has become a garment powerhouse.

India is open to import anything else. But BD has nothing much to offer except Garment and Jute.
Plus these electronic export they talk about are highly price incompetent to whatever we have in same price range

About 2.5 percent in exports , not a huge number and wouldn't bangladesh lose a export destination too , and india isn't the only country you have deficit with

There is no need to act arrogant here. Trade should be mutually beneficial. Unlike Chinese suckers like Bilal, we should be ensure their products find a home in India.

But the problem is we can't give them zero duty access to their garment/rmg sector. And that's their only demand. India is even importing some small ferries, ships from BD. BD needs to expand their export basket. Simple as that.

Plus these electronic export they talk about are highly price incompetent to whatever we have in same price range

Again, no country can't give zero duty blanket access on "electronics". They have to define that. TVs, Fridges or commerical ones etc. Without that definition, no one is getting an waiver.

There is no need to act arrogant here. Trade should be mutually beneficial. Unlike Chinese suckers like Bilal, we should be ensure their products find a home in India.

But the problem is we can't give them zero duty access to their garment/rmg sector. And that's their only demand. India is even importing some small ferries, ships from BD. BD needs to expand their export basket. Simple as that.

Again, no country can't give zero duty blanket access on "electronics". They have to define that. TVs, Fridges or commerical ones etc. Without that definition, no one is getting an waiver.
Exactly , bangladesh is a market ,but nothing as major that they can deal with vague terms , and without showing their indigenous content in their products , without that we will be getting Chinese products without tax collection

Well , then it would be discriminatory taxation , and good luck with no trade with your nearest neighbour , how will you manage supply lines in case of some emergency ? With all your trading partners far away ?

Or even worse how will you negotiate with us with such a trade boycott after GSP+ graduation and india signing FTA with some of your largest export destination ? And mind you we have price advantage over you in textiles too without GSP+ , you guys take advantage of zero tarriff in EU

Thats what i am trying to explain. Of course the ideal situation is mutual trade. Bangladesh is doing its part, its time for India to do the same. 1 billion import from BD is a start but India have to gear up significantly, as it both should and have capacity to do, in order to create a mutually benefit trade relationshionship.

Exactly , bangladesh is a market ,but nothing as major that they can deal with vague terms , and without showing their indigenous content in their products , without that we will be getting Chinese products without tax collection
Why should not BD use that same argument for Indian products. Could just label them something random flimsy ground and ban those products.

Bangladesh has lot of products to offer. India just have to show that it is a serious trade partner.

It dosent matter how or what product India buys from BD, as long as the trade is somewhat balanced. Lots of indian products in BD market, are also produced by local competitors in Bangladesh. Why should we then import something that can be made locally?

Last edited:
Thats what i am trying to explain. Of course the ideal situation is mutual trade. Bangladesh is doing its part, its time for India to do the same. 1 billion import from BD is a start but India have to gear up significantly, as it both should and have capacity to do, in order to create a mutually benefit trade relationshionship.

Why should not BD use that same argument for Indian products. Could just label them something random flimsy ground and ban those products.

Bangladesh has lot of products to offer. India just have to show that it is a serious trade partner.

It dosent matter how or what product India buys from BD, as long as the trade is somewhat balanced. Lots of indian products in BD market, are also produced by local competitors in Bangladesh. Why should we then import something that can be made locally?
Tell me some products where your products are price competitive in your own country even if we allow duty free access except cotton rmg ? Please list them all

Tell me some products where your products are price competitive in your own country even if we allow duty free access except cotton rmg ? Please list them all
Its not my job to do that. There are plenty of them.

Its not my job to do that. There are plenty of them.
Let me tell u a small fact , bangladesh net imports bicycle parts worth 44 million usd and exports bicycle worth 93 million USD , that's quite huge in comparison india is a net exporter of bicycle parts worth 53 million and bicycle industry is one of the most ignored ones here . So it will be hard for Bangladeshi brands to enter here

Let me tell u a small fact , bangladesh net imports bicycle parts worth 44 million usd and exports bicycle worth 93 million USD , that's quite huge in comparison india is a net exporter of bicycle parts worth 53 million and bicycle industry is one of the most ignored ones here . So it will be hard for Bangladeshi brands to enter here

Ive tried explaining this several times; it dosent matter how the trade gap is closed. It can be done in several ways. India just have to buy more.

Ive tried explaining this several times; it dosent matter how the trade gap is closed. It can be done in several ways. India just have to buy more.
And i am asking how ? We can't force our people to buy from Bangladesh , international trade never works like that , we aren't dumping or involved in over production or trying to destroy your companies by manipulating prices , nor we are trying to sabotage your efforts of industrialization , we buy where u match price competition , we can't where u don't , as simple as that , and we aren't forcing you to buy our product or providing lower quality stuff , tata and Ashok Leyland trucks as mentioned in the title , are exported to more than 50 countries

Back
Top Bottom