What's new

Ashok Leyland to supply 200 trucks to Bangladesh as part of $2-bn line of credit

i dont undestand. You know that India has a huge trade surplus with BD, right?

Your argument falls on its own unreasonableness.
Trade surplus or trade deficit , we give Bangladesh lower tarriff than what u give us , so it shouldn't be a problem , we won't subsidize your export to us , low trade duties should be enough

Trade surplus or trade deficit , we give Bangladesh lower tarriff than what u give us , so it shouldn't be a problem , we won't subsidize your export to us , low trade duties should be enough

Its obviously a problem because India is net benefactor by huge margin. You understand that this is not sustainable in the long run?

Why should Bangladesh continue to be kind and buy indian products, if her own products is blocked from indian market. There has to be mutual trade concessions.

Bangladesh also have a big trade deficit with China, but atleast China did something about that and provided duty free access to thousands of BD export items. A friendly nation like India should be able to match that, atleast.

BD can easily use the same argument and say we wont subsidize indian export to us.

Last edited:
Its obviously a problem because India is net benefactor by huge margin. You understand that this is not sustainable in the long run?

Why should Bangladesh continue to be kind and buy indian products, if her own products is blocked from access. There has to be mutual trade concessions.

Bangladesh also have a big trade deficit with China, but atleast China something about that and provided duty free access to thousands of BD export items. A friendly nation like India should be able to match that, atleast.
Show me the duties by product india applies and what we will we get in return ? Bangladesh backstabbed us under BNP and your Islamist peddle anti India propoganda for no reason , on most proper bangladeshi product duties are zero , only products those have assembly operation with imported components have somewhat tarriff .

India have infra advantage that's why we have a trade surplus , recently UK activist were protesting india UK FTA talks as with less duties we will out compete any South asian country

Show me the duties by product india applies and what we will we get in return ? Bangladesh backstabbed us under BNP and your Islamist peddle anti India propoganda for no reason , on most proper bangladeshi product duties are zero , only products those have assembly operation with imported components have somewhat tarriff .

India have infra advantage that's why we have a trade surplus , recently UK activist were protesting india UK FTA talks as with less duties we will out compete any South asian country

Dont bring party politics into this. Trade has nothing to do with it, you know that very well.

India has avdantages because BD goverment is generous and allows the advantage. So the question remains why should it continue to do so if India does not reciprocate?

Dont bring party politics into this. Trade has nothing to do with it, you know that very well.

India has avdantages because BD goverment is generous and allows the advantage. So the question remains why should it continue to do so if India does not reciprocate?
What advantages you allow ? Four to five times import duties than us ? Or more than 300 percent tax on automobile imports ? U don't provide advantage ,it is a natural outcome after trade duties imbalance , so what should we do?

What advantages you allow ? Four to five times import duties than us ? Or more than 300 percent tax on automobile imports ? U don't provide advantage ,it is a natural outcome after trade duties imbalance , so what should we do?

The trade surplus you enjoy is a proof of the advantage Bangladesh continue to provide.

You are aware that if BD wish to do so, she could place 5000% tariff on the products that lead to trade imbalance?

Or it could just place a ban on various reasonable or less reasonable ground, like environment protection, worker conditions, food safety concern, anti-dumping etc.

The trade surplus you enjoy is a proof of the advantage Bangladesh continue to provide.

You are aware that if BD wish to do so, she could place 5000% tariff on the products that lead to trade imbalance?

Or it could just place a ban on various reasonable or less reasonable ground, like environment protection, worker conditions, food safety concern, anti-dumping etc.
So could india , and remember if u look at safety rating of factories India scores better

Look at this ,click on both countries to check score .

That's one heck of a credit line :)
That's one of the products ,more will be exported by India , this one is among first to be finalized

Look at this ,click on both countries to check score .

I am not interested in that.
You got my point i assume.

So as we see, its now really upto BD government to adapt to india trade policies. Diversification of import sources and increased local production is one answer to that.

If that dont help, higher tariffs and ban on certain indian items should be considered.

Last edited:
I am not interested in that.
You got my point i assume.

So as we see, its now really upto BD government to adapt to india trade policies. Diversification of import items and increased local production is one answer to that.

If that dont help, higher tariffs and ban on certain indian items should be considered.
That's your call , but why all this noise against India , can u do same against China ?

So could india , and remember if u look at safety rating of factories India scores better
Yes india could do that.
And who would be the winner? Its not BD who has trade surplus.

That's your call , but why all this noise against India , can u do same against China ?
Its not mere my call, its pure math and logic.

As i said China and BD signed a trade agreement recently (2021 i think) where China gave dutyfree access to their market. Lets see how it goes.

BD also imports items from China that cannot be sourced otherwise. The same dosent apply for India.

Yes india could do that.
And who would be the winner? Its not BD who has trade surplus.
Our trade is too low , about 10 billion or so , it's not a big capacity to redirect and Bangladesh will face WTO issues if they block our products

Our trade is too low , about 10 billion or so , it's not a big capacity to redirect and Bangladesh will face WTO issues if they block our products
Bangladesh is one of the biggest export destination for Indian products, if not the second biggest. It has room to grow even more as BD economy is accerating in the coming years.

But the trade imbalance cannot continue like this. India unwittingly may force BD government to take actions to prevent this ongoing trend.

There are many ways to navigate around WTO rules. Gave some examples of that in a earlier post.

Bangladesh is one of the biggest export destination for Indian products, if not the second biggest. It has room to grow even more as BD economy is accerating in the coming years.

But the trade imbalance cannot continue like this. India unwittingly may force BD government to take actions to prevent this ongoing trend.

There are many ways to navigate around WTO rules. Gave some examples of that in a earlier post.
About 2.5 percent in exports , not a huge number and wouldn't bangladesh lose a export destination too , and india isn't the only country you have deficit with

Back
Top Bottom