What's new

Army to Induct Bofors based155 mm ‘Dhanush’ gun alongwith New weapon locatingradar ” Swathi”

Range is fine, but who is going to direct the fire on to the targets, well into enemy territory? You can't use static OPs on ground or airborne OPs to direct fire deep inside enemy territory unless you infiltrate commandos who can set up a hide within line of sight of the target.

We are far from the technology required for target acquisition by real-time enhanced satellite imagery that could be an asset to take on targets both static and moving well into depth areas, from the gun position itself.

Now that would be a game changer. The DRDO together with ISRO must go full steam ahead to introduce such a satellite system to provide real-time info of the target areas to be neutralised/destroyed with the help of corrections made from the gun position itself!
You have said it correct, more than what I could have done myself. How good would be Swathi and Kshitij be in identifying and acquiring targets which are in NON-LOS ?? We definitely do not have the comfort of lazing the target firing the shell in general direction, and rest of the task done by internal avionics. As far as I get Shell is nothing but the warhead. The charge is bag or canister fed. There is no in-flight corrections. Its upto the gunner to make corrections/adjustment. But what about target designation/acquisition in the first place ??

It's 50-55km with special ammo, 35-40km with standard ammo. Overall a significant boost to the IA's arty arm.

Indian Army like this system without much objections that in the case of Arjun tank.There is a reason .Whether their is a scandal involves Bofors ,it is one of the best artillery system in the world.During Kargil war times ,IA know the real capacity of Bofors.
My friend relative is in Army at that time.He told us.He can see one peak after pounding of Bofors which is completely crushed and become a hot bed.
So IA like a system like that.From Army words we can assume DRDO guys do a good job.

Indian Army like this system without much objections that in the case of Arjun tank.There is a reason .Whether their is a scandal involves Bofors ,it is one of the best artillery system in the world.During Kargil war times ,IA know the real capacity of Bofors.
My friend relative is in Army at that time.He told us.He can see one peak after pounding of Bofors which is completely crushed and become a hot bed.
So IA like a system like that.From Army words we can assume DRDO guys do a good job.
Sure the IA likes the system, it is still a damn fine product in its latest guise (45-cal) but that doesn't mean they aren't looking for bigger (52-cal) and better guns (on going tenders).

Which is more than the distance between Amritsar and Lahore :)
Made in Pakistan ;)

a100lw2.jpg

You have said it correct, more than what I could have done myself. How good would be Swathi and Kshitij be in identifying and acquiring targets which are in NON-LOS ?? We definitely do not have the comfort of lazing the target firing the shell in general direction, and rest of the task done by internal avionics. As far as I get Shell is nothing but the warhead. The charge is bag or canister fed. There is no in-flight corrections. Its upto the gunner to make corrections/adjustment. But what about target designation/acquisition in the first place ??

A system in your concept is quite advanced and may incredibly expensive.I dont think even US military have such a system
US latest efforts is to GPS guided artillery shell.But it is not clear whether it is used in battle field.Indian Army has a reputation to reject any indigenous system bitterly.But they accept this ,that means it is good.thats all

A system in your concept is quite advanced and may incredibly expensive.I dont think even US military have such a system
US latest efforts is to GPS guided artillery shell.But it is not clear whether it is used in battle field.Indian Army has a reputation to reject any indigenous system bitterly.But they accept this ,that means it is good.thats all
I too get that. But the point is how in the first place you detect, identify,track and acquire the target. Engaging it with accuracy is a different ball game. I donn think WLR will be linked directly to the gun.

Weapon locating radars work on a different principle by calculating the range of the enemy gun by its sound, trajectory of the round, its velocity, altitude, atmospheric conditions and so on. You don't need an OP for this. The radar and its computer works out everything before you fire back at the enemy gun.

But for neutralising a moving/static target you'd need an Observation Post which directs the fire visually (LOS) onto the target generally by the bracketting method. Corrections are then passed on to the gun position where the vectors are adjusted and fire brought on to the target.

Weapon locating radars work on a different principle by calculating the range of the enemy gun by its sound, trajectory, velocity, altitude, atmospheric conditions and so on. You don't need an OP for this. The radar and its computer works out everything before you fire back at the enemy gun.

But for neutralising a moving/static target you'd need an Observation Post which directs the fire visually (LOS) onto the target generally by the bracketting method. Corrections are then passed on to the gun position where the vectors are adjusted and fire brought on to the target.
My question is can a WLR provide with a firing solution to the fire control computer directly or do they need to radio in ?? Another question is can soldiers patrolling a certain area call for close fire support with just GPS coordinates to guide the shells ??

Back
Top Bottom