What's new

Army to Induct Bofors based155 mm ‘Dhanush’ gun alongwith New weapon locatingradar ” Swathi”

well special ammo means like excalibur laser guided shells

this is great news now they should make them in huge quantities and take help of private sector if nacessarry and try using it on Arjun chassis instead of that puny 130 MM gun
Do we have Excalibur or any air burst artty ammo of that kind ??? I know smart artty ammo is a long shot but airburst and incendiary will do a lot of damage.

Accuracy is the name of the game with these additions and this can account for the slower rate of fire- these upgraded pieces will be able to deliver more ordinance "on-target" than the standard guns so overall an upgrade in performance. Additionally the range of this gun has been extended to some 40km which is nothing to laugh at.

Any one have any idea how quickly the initial 144 gun order the IA had placed for this gun will be delivered?

I think IA would wait for one more trial during summer before placing order since, during last summer trial gun's barrel had exploded.

Do we have Excalibur or any air burst artty ammo of that kind ??? I know smart artty ammo is a long shot but airburst and incendiary will do a lot of damage.
yes we do have those type of ammos in aor arsenell already

India Army should take this artillery gun as none have been introduced in last 30 years. It is short on long range heavy artillery. Quibbling over 8 rounds of fire a minute or 12 is for brochures from western manufacturers. Enemy ducks after the first salvo I.e. after first 30 seconds, hence rate of fire after the enemy has taken cover is immaterial.

It's range appears to be higher than existing Bofors with the Indian Army. Hence all the more reason to enthusiastically welcome its induction.

India Army should take this artillery gun as none have been introduced in last 30 years. It is short on long range heavy artillery. Quibbling over 8 rounds of fire a minute or 12 is for brochures from western manufacturers. Enemy ducks after the first salvo I.e. after first 30 seconds, hence rate of fire after the enemy has taken cover is immaterial.

It's range appears to be higher than existing Bofors with the Indian Army. Hence all the more reason to enthusiastically welcome its induction.

Original bofors has range of 30 KM while this has range of 38 KM.

Can we have a conformation link for that.
well google it your self my friend i guess we baught the same from russia during kargil and later from sweden and israel just before the ending of UPA 1s tenure ... Thank you

wait and they even invested in a factroy somewhere in bihar for the same aswell :)

Another Noob question, What is ATAGS ??

Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System

Major Indian private and public sector players including Tata, Mahindra, L&T and BEL are holding parleys with DRDO for developing an indigenous advanced artillery howitzer for the Army.

The premier defence research agency recently held an interaction with the stakeholders to explore the feasibility of involving Indian industries in the development of Advance Towed Artillery Guns System (ATAGS), DRDO officials said.

"Objective of the interaction was to explore and encourage participation of Indian industries in the ATAGS project and generate a base for its design, development, manufacturing and integration," they said.

DRDO is currently developing the 155 mm, 52 calibre ATAGS at the Pune-based Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE).

DRDO Holds Parleys with Tata, L&T, BEL for Howitzers

Drdo gun range proposing 55 km range. At least 50 may achieved.Otherwise Army will reject it.
Range is fine, but who is going to direct the fire on to the targets, well into enemy territory? You can't use static OPs on ground or airborne OPs to direct fire deep inside enemy territory unless you infiltrate commandos who can set up a hide within line of sight of the target.

We are far from the technology required for target acquisition by real-time enhanced satellite imagery that could be an asset to take on targets both static and moving well into depth areas, from the gun position itself.

Now that would be a game changer. The DRDO together with ISRO must go full steam ahead to introduce such a satellite system to provide real-time info of the target areas to be neutralised/destroyed with the help of corrections made from the gun position itself!

True. While the olf Bofors can fire 12 per min and the new but indigenous boasts of 8 per min.
@AMCA:Its probably bad reporting. Also,if I am not wrong Swathi is the name of BEL Weapon Locating Radar,whose development started in some time like 2002,and 28 systems were ordered,and note merely an upgrade of AN/TPQ-37 radar as said in the report.

I think IA would wait for one more trial during summer before placing order since, during last summer trial gun's barrel had exploded.
The IA has already placed a 144 order AFAIK, this was stated by the Def Min in Parliament.

We are far from the technology required for target acquisition by real-time enhanced satellite imagery that could be an asset to take on targets both static and moving well into depth areas, from the gun position itself.
I don't think even the US army has this capability today. They have such satellites but the individual arty commanders on the ground don't have access to such strategic assets.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom