What's new

Army to Induct Bofors based155 mm ‘Dhanush’ gun alongwith New weapon locatingradar ” Swathi”

I'm sorry but it looks like a bofors ... Is called a desi bofor .. And is a reverse engineered bofors... Look at its caliber .. It's performance etc..

P.S isn't it the same gun tht had issues with loaders and barrel bursting?

Lol just don't quote Wikipedia .. I mean dude look at the OPs article !!

You are right... 30,000 m for 39 cal

34,500 m for 45 cal

Hope you can do the math..

P.S : there are several difference between BB rounds aswell.. India profduces these ..:

Ordnance Factory Board

Pakistan's Artillery Upgrade Discussions | Page 8

Original link given there.. From GIDS.

I gave you the link to its original manufacturing company ..MKEK.. :lol:

Tell us it's inferior to a reverse engineered bofor made in 80s.. And how?? :lol:

Did I say something else?

Your pals are giving me a wiki link to push the nonsense the this desi bofors has a range of 55 km ...

While the project is also almost dead with almost all the foreign contenders out or blacklisted.. Good luck though.

Too late?

Says who? U?

Why don't you check the caliber yourself the OFB site says nothing about a 52 cal 155mm shell.
And just to remove your overflowing doubt.
The shells being developed by ARDE and HEMRL are completely new to cover that 50-55km range.

ARDE bags order for futuristic advanced artillery gun
- SHASHWAT GUPTA RAY
Thursday, 28 March 2013 - 12:28 PM IST
Mk-I version will be ready in three years

PUNE: The Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune, the sister laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has bagged an order to develop a futuristic advanced artillery gun with superior fire power and fully automated operational system.

“We got this project three months ago. The Army has asked us to come up with a new advanced gun for the artillery, which should be a state-of-the-art weapon system in the year 2020. So keeping this in mind, we have begun working on the 155mm Advanced Towed Artillery Gun (ATAG) which would be a highly superior gun,” Director, ARDE Anil Datar told Sakal Times.

The gun will hit targets up to 50 km instead of the existing 32 km range of the Bofors guns.

For this, advanced propellants are being developed by another DRDO sister lab in the High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL), Pune. The gun would have a fully automatic ammunition handling system and would be able to fire more rounds in a shorter period of time.

“We will have to use new materials for the gun and barrel structural elements. It would also be possible to drive the gun into a non-motorable area up to 500m without needing to tow it,” he said.

The next aspect of the gun would be advanced communication system.

This gun will be linked with the entire military communication system network.

The gunner will be told what target will be deployed, through a secured communication network.

“Our DRDO sister lab, the Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (CAIR) in Bengaluru, is developing the communication system,” Datar informed.

“We will have Automatic Gun Alignment Position System (AGPS), which will ensure accuracy of fire by automatically aligning the gun system with the target,” he added.

There will be a system of Battery Command Post, which is a vehicle with a fire control computer.

This will be connected to an Artillery battery, a group of six-eight guns in the field which will be given directions for accurate firing at variable targets.

“We will be making the Mark-1 gun with new ammunition within three years. We have formed work packages for the Ordnance factories and private industry through a transparent tendering system. We have been receiving an overwhelming response from the private sector,” the ARDE director said.

FEATURES OF THE ARTILLERY GUN

- ATAG Mk-I to be designed in three years

- Capacity to fire advanced ammo
- Range 50 km against 32 km of Bofors

- Auto ammo handling and gun laying

- Automatic Gun Alignment Position System

- Self-driven facility up to 500 m

- Gen next communication system by CAIR

ARDE bags order for futuristic advanced artillery gun | Sakal Times

You just cannot digest the fact that a locally made artillery gun is taking shape.
PS- India's private sector is more than enough to cover for all the blacklists.

Last edited:
Can we have an artillery shell that can alter its trajectory, not to evade radar but to increase its reach ??
I know base bleed shells do increase range by 30%. But can it be supplemented by a booster rocket motor which can be programed to switch on differently during the flight path to change its trajectory.

Like if ts fired at the boost period, then shell reaches higher apogee. Or it can be fired during the descent phase to impart higher penetration owing to higher velocities.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom