What's new

Army Operation In Swat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I spoke to family in Swat today and it seems that a major operation may start in a day or two.

The good thing is that army has not bombarded on Matta Bazar itself as it could lead to a great death toll. Matta Police Station ( Taliban has named it as Taliban Station now) is in the bazar itself and under their control.

Infact, as soon as you cross Kanju, their (Taliban's) check posts start and they ask the travellers various questions eg. purpose of visit etc. It is NOT good as such behaviour makes the locals to become strangers in their own place. My feeling is that as against to Southern NWFP and FATA, more locals support the action by the Pakistan Forces.

However it must be kept in mind that Swat is a densely populated area and any action should be very careful to avoid civilian loss.

Bodies of 3 soldiers brought to Kohat
November 17, 2007

KOHAT: Bodies of three soldiers killed in crossfire in the Kurram Agency clashes were brought to the Combined Military Hospital here on Saturday.

Sources told this correspondent that two soldiers — Gul Khan and Ahmed Ali — injured in the ongoing fighting, had also been admitted to the CMH.

The deceased were identified as Naveed, Ayaz, Razzaq. The soldiers are all from the 35 Punjab Regiment.

Two groups are still clashing in the tribal area and not abiding by a curfew imposed on Friday. Both groups are freely using weapons despite the presence of army in the Parachinar.

Meanwhile, some militants lobbed a home-made explosive device at the Preston University here and caused some damage. Classes were in progress at the time of the attack but no one was hurt.—Correspondent

Dawn

Well I spoke to family in Swat today and it seems that a major operation may start in a day or two.

The good thing is that army has not bombarded on Matta Bazar itself as it could lead to a great death toll. Matta Police Station ( Taliban has named it as Taliban Station now) is in the bazar itself and under their control.

Is this the same Matta Police Station or this is a different one ?

I think this guy would be no more there in a couple of days

Its the same and as you can see the Government is avoiding to bombard the bazaar area to avoide civilian casualties so you can see them standing and renaming the empty police station.

But about 5 lakh people have moved out of the troubled area and according to my sources a major and decisive operation will be conducted soon.

VCOAS Gen Kayani is on Visit to Swat at the moment.
wil post pic tomorrow.

:)

Yes it is the same Matta Station, at the top of Matta Bazar, Matta College, Hospital and civil personnel colony are located. VERY DENSELY populated area there!

I am not sure about the exact number of people who left the troubled area, however I do not know if they are as many as 400,000 (unlikely).

Now they have kidnapped Naib Tehsildar and Bajaur Levies personnel in Bajuar Agency.

I have noted one thing in the tactics used by Taliban, when they attack, they attack using a very large number of men to attack few, so to avoid any failure and hence on many occassions they do not receive resistance.

I have noted one thing in the tactics used by Taliban, when they attack, they attack using a very large number of men to attack few, so to avoid any failure and hence on many occassions they do not receive resistance.
Soon this tactic will be a major cause to their destruction.

Regards
Wilco

Khan,

You earlier suggested that ppl will support Army...but it seems that there are some pockets of population who supports militants as well...if the pictures are to be believed here....

2 weeks ago: KOZA BANDI, PAKISTAN - OCTOBER 30: An elderly man is assisted while giving money at a donation table for militants in the village of Koza Bandi October 30, 2007 in the Swat Valley, Pakistan. Local residents and militants donated cash, jewelry, blankets and foodstuffs in support of the "mujahideen", who control the area. The village was quiet as a ceasefire between militants and Pakistani security forces held for a second day

October 30, 2007 in the Swat Valley, Pakistan. Residents and militants donated cash, jewelry, blankets and foodstuffs in support of the "mujahideen", who control the area

Imam Dheri near Mingora

Wasnt this common earlier in name of Kashmir Jihad. The point is that there seems to be some support from Local Villages when linked with Jihad...what would be the GOP strategy to counter or differentiate between two faces of Jihad (Kashmir and Swat)??

:) you had wasted much time to search these.

well dear these pics are about over one month old to say now its been two months when these donations were forced on people by militants. and soon after the first day when the terrorist made announcment to donate to them some people donated the money on their own while alot were forced to donate at gun point by the militants.
:) but soon after the first day it was done the administration took action.

So relax ;)
we are not panic. almost all the areas of trouble had been vacated by the locals while the money in pictures can not to be used to buy anything inside but its another matter if some anti-Pakistan Northern Alliance People in collaboration with Indian agents are made to utilize this money which is in few thousands .

Sam,

To reiterate Jana's point - the pockets of support in Swat are extremely small, and a lot of the "visible" support has to do with coercion and fear of being targeted if not seen as being supportive. The Jang, a newspaper that has never been shy about criticizing th egovernment, has been regularly reporting in its stories on Swat that the majority of the locals support the government - the most recent story talked about how locals are feeling humiliated by the searches and checkpoints the Taliban have set up in the areas they control.

However, on a broader level your question is a valid one - how will Muslim governments and Muslims learn to strike that fine line between a just Jihad and one that seeks to spread anarchy and intolerance?

this the right of goverment that they have thier rit at all the parts of the country and operation is the best decision if the people of swat want it

Sam,

To reiterate Jana's point - the pockets of support in Swat are extremely small, and a lot of the "visible" support has to do with coercion and fear of being targeted if not seen as being supportive. The Jang, a newspaper that has never been shy about criticizing th egovernment, has been regularly reporting in its stories on Swat that the majority of the locals support the government - the most recent story talked about how locals are feeling humiliated by the searches and checkpoints the Taliban have set up in the areas they control.

However, on a broader level your question is a valid one - how will Muslim governments and Muslims learn to strike that fine line between a just Jihad and one that seeks to spread anarchy and intolerance?

:) Yes Agno about the Jihad

Well dear there are some pre-conditions for waging a Jihad and against whom this is also something which is clearly defined.

According to one of these conditions stated in Quran only a State can wage a Jihad against those (oppresors) who attacked the State.
Only the ruler of that State can announce the Jihad and no individual can do so.
at the moment i do not remember the exact Aya and the Surah of Quran but i will post these tommorrow with the the exact chapter and verse number of that chapter of Quran wherein rules and regulations are stated for Jihad.

So for the moment no one is justified to term the terror activities against Pakistan and its Army as Jihad.

:) you had wasted much time to search these.

well dear these pics are about over one month old to say now its been two months when these donations were forced on people by militants. and soon after the first day when the terrorist made announcment to donate to them some people donated the money on their own while alot were forced to donate at gun point by the militants.
:) but soon after the first day it was done the administration took action.

Jana, I know how old these pictures are as i myself listed the dates below them and one does not need to waste his time in searching... if some one in your family is a Journalist.

Most us of know that those donations could be forced on them...at the same time some are part of Volunteer donations by those who believe in Jihad.

Probably all you did was that you looked on the pictures in my post and not on the question that i asked at the bottom of post.

These pictures are old but the militant donation camps are not, and thats what my question is all about.

Sam,

Agreed, I have seen the reports too

That was and still is the core question of my post. especially when everyone claims and justifies their version of Jihad as the Valid one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom