What's new

Army chief to grind India in US

It is not put to rest since many Pakistanis don't like Pakistani Army General running foriegn policy instead of defending our borders.

Last I checked, our borders were under no serious threat and foreign policy was the most important agenda item!

Nawaz Sharif is incompetent in ministerial appointments, so Army chief can step in, is that constitutionally legal?

You mean the constitution that is meant to serve Pakistan, right? The same constitution that can be suspended in time of an emergency and which can be altered, amended and updated from time to time as per the doctrine of necessity?

Does the General have to follow the constitution at the cost of saving Pakistan?

The defense of Pakistan and the protection of her borders requires military engagement with foreign governments, especially when the civilian government doesn't appoint a proper Foreign Minister for over 2 years and assigns someone with little to no understanding of defence issues as the Defence Minister, who also happens to chair the very critical water and power ministry, during a period of severe energy crises in Pakistan.

Perhaps you should direct your ire at Nawaz Sharif and his incompetence in appointing qualified individuals to extremely critical ministries.

if he appoints some one competent it is not like the military is going to listen to them ?
why bother with the charade ?

Why does a Military General trying run the foriegn policy of Pakistan ? Does he have no time to stick to defense of Pakistan and protect the borders ?

I feel pitty when someone asks these types of questions so innocently. Ideally army should mind its own business . Agreed.

Give the corruption and incompetency of the government and lack of professionalism and decision making in foreign affairs have push army again to gain strong holds on foreign affairs. UFA and loosing UN seat recently is a current example of weak foreign policy. not only that our Foreign ministry said that Pakistan and Arab nations relations depends on the eagle export and hunting. when this type of ill mannered and incompetent people will lead our country then its will no wonder if some day some other countries will be sitting in your land without firing a single bullet.

Pakistan Army chief Raheel Sharif invites himself to the US | world | Hindustan Times

Pakistan army chief General Raheel Sharif will visit the US on his own as there was no official invitation either from his American counterpart or the Pentagon, according to defence officials.

“Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif will be visiting Washington from November 16 to 19. Sharif is travelling to Washington of his own volition and Department of Defence officials are meeting with General Raheel at his request,” a Defence Department official told PTI on Tuesday.

Pentagon has received requests for a meeting from Pakistani Embassy on behalf of General Sharif, the official said on the condition of anonymity.

This is one of the rarest of the rare occasions that a Pakistani army chief is visiting the US without any invitation. Defence department official said that there is “no official invitation” for General Sharif to visit the US.

“General Sharif requested meetings in Washington and the DoD looks forward to productive discussions related to our bilateral defence relationship. We are working with the Pakistan Embassy here in Washington to develop an appropriate set of meetings with US officials,” the official said.

According to officials, Sharif has requested for meetings with Defence Secretary Ashton Carter, Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford and US Army Chief General Mark A Milley. He is also expected to fly down to the Central Command headquarters in Tampa, Florida.

“As you might expect, we will discuss a range of defence and security issues important to both countries such as the security of Afghanistan and the region given the President’s recent troop announcement as well as Pakistan’s counterterrorism and counterinsurgency efforts,” the Pentagon official said in response to a question.

It is learnt that Sharif on his second visit to the US as the top Pakistani commander has also requested for a meeting with Secretary of State John Kerry and several powerful lawmakers.

Sharif had met Kerry during his visit to the US last year in the first week of December. Sharif, to the surprise of many, had stayed in the US for an unusually longer period of time, which was initially scheduled for about a week in the second half of November 2014.

i know the title is correct but it does not means the title from an article has to be the same title here .grind has a meaning that that negative.

Actually, the title must be the same as in the link without editing according to PDF rules. The OP is not allowed to edit the title.

You mean like this:

l200502013380.jpg

There is a difference between one on meet. Even if I meet with Modi, I will seated with him only :hitwall:

This article mentioned General Rasheed meeting PM with other officers and Cabinet colleagues.

You people give USA too much crédit.

You are pleading with à nation like USA to help You persuadé arm twist cojole india, to. Negotiate away its sovereign territory and control in south asia and central asia.

In other words india,give up its national interests.

Usa looks after its own national interests first.

You expect them to ask india,to give up its,national interest to suit their sworn enemy.

I think You général is coming back empty handed

if he appoints some one competent it is not like the military is going to listen to them ?
why bother with the charade ?

I don't agree with you on this.

You people give USA too much crédit.

You are pleading with à nation like USA to help You persuadé arm twist cojole india, to. Negotiate away its sovereign territory and control in south asia and central asia.

In other words india,give up its national interests.

Usa looks after its own national interests first.

You expect them to ask india,to give up its,national interest to suit their sworn enemy.

We are all fighting for our respective interests, that's what self respecting nations do. Let's wait and see what materializes. I actually am of the view that only Kashmir can be solved bilaterally. That said, we have a right to address concerns that themselves concern the general security environment, power balance etc.

The US sold us F16s and may provide india with Predators. The US has its needs and goals in Afghanistan, we have our strategic goals as well (to address indian designs in Afghanistan and discuss matters of mutual concern between our armed forces and that of ISAF and more specifically US. It's a diplomatic and military related meeting and I believe govt and military (and the general Pakistani polity) are all on the same page on this one. Success of our military operations and briefings on military matters will be discussed. Probably a push for increased intelligence cooperation (I would imagine). Let's see what happens

Usa will help you re your war on terror.

They may give You more aid.

Pak will articulate its concerns,re the loc tensión.

Usa,will makec nice public statement that bilateral talks are good thing.

Then send the pak delegation home.

There is a difference between one on meet. Even if I meet with Modi, I will seated with him only :hitwall:

This article mentioned General Rasheed meeting PM with other officers and Cabinet colleagues.
You can bang your head all you like, but the initial comments of both you and your compatriot, that I quoted, focused on the COAS sitting 'side by side' with the Prime Minister.

Now that your argument has been shown to be frivolous, you want to change your argument and say, 'no jee, its Ok if they sit side by side, but only if they are alone, drinking champagne and gazing lovingly into each others eyes'!

Next you'll decide that 'its oK if they sit side by side, but only if they are accompanied by 10 people from each side, a monkey in a red hat (Zaid Hamid substitutions allowed), 2 cows and 5 belly dancers'.

Just count your losses and drop what is clearly an absurd line of argument about the 'implications of side by side seating', whether in a one-on-one setting or as a team.

And what exactly do you think he actually went there for? The 'wish list' you detailed is something I've heard from you, not from the Pakistani government or military sources, so I can only assume it's your wish list.

The information from Pakistani military and government sources is that this visit will primarily focus on Afghanistan, the peace process, engagement with the Taliban, Pakistan's progress in damaging the Afghan Taliban's operational infrastructure on the Pakistani side etc.

yes, its a weird pic. PM and chief are at same level. And civilians on one side and faujis on other. I cant think of this happening in India.
You can bang your head all you like, but the initial comments of both you and your compatriot, that I quoted, focused on the COAS sitting 'side by side' with the Prime Minister.

Now that your argument has been shown to be frivolous, you want to change your argument and say, 'no jee, its Ok if they sit side by side, but only if they are alone, drinking champagne and gazing lovingly into each others eyes'!

Next you'll decide that 'its oK if they sit side by side, but only if they are accompanied by 10 people from each side, a monkey in a red hat (Zaid Hamid substitutions allowed), 2 cows and 5 belly dancers'.

Just count your losses and drop what is clearly an absurd line of argument about the 'implications of side by side seating', whether in a one-on-one setting or as a team.

And what exactly do you think he actually went there for? The 'wish list' you detailed is something I've heard from you, not from the Pakistani government or military sources, so I can only assume it's your wish list.

The information from Pakistani military and government sources is that this visit will primarily focus on Afghanistan, the peace process, engagement with the Taliban, Pakistan's progress in damaging the Afghan Taliban's operational infrastructure on the Pakistani side etc.

Just a case of amusement. In a meeting like this with cabinet colleagues too (not a one to one), does the Army Chief sits side by side with the PM?
I mean like really? In India it would have created a furore

Source: Army chief to grind India in US | Page 3

This was my original comment for which you had quoted me. I had clearly mentioned not a one to one.

Atleast lie convincingly. Or read properly.

Bye

If the Army Generals are so smart then why our former COAS General Ashfaq Kayani not in the government ? The former Indian COAS and Hindutva Bhakt General V K Singh is a minister in Indian government and he called low caste Dalits as "Dogs". Generals look good when they are commanding the army and in civilian life they are incompetent and comedic like Singh and Musharraf.

That is not quite true. It depends. Sometimes they are incompetent ( Musharaf ) and other times able (Ayub Khan ) like the best leader we ever had.

And almost by accident we have ended up with competant duo as NS and RS compliment reach other with the latter compensayting for NS weakness to make rather good impact.

This was my original comment for which you had quoted me. I had clearly mentioned not a one to one.
My bad, it was only your compatriot that saw a problem with them sitting side by side in a one-on-one setting.

So, why exactly do you find them sitting side by side in a 'cabinet meeting' type setting odd? The meeting was at the Prime Minister house I believe (I'll have to check) so Nawaz could have chosen to have the meeting in a conference room where only one individual could be at the head of the table.

This is what I've referred to before, and people here think "NS is weak and doesn't know diplomacy". In this meeting, it was decided that RS will follow NS's strategy (sorry for the few who think the "military" is running the foreign policy). NS has a strong vision on how to handle India. Including becoming a serious economic challenge starting in the next three years, yet keep things open to the world in terms of the Indian involvement inside Pakistan, and YET, not fight a war, so Pakistani economic growth and CPEC don't get impacted.

NS and RS are a great combo, one has a passive-forceful, business like "nice guy" style, the other one is straight forward and aggressive due to his military training. Combine the two, you cover all aspects!! Good for Pakistan's future growth and success. Good leaders in place, working together for the country, not for their own personal agenda :tup:

This is how a nation is presented to the world. No matter who's idea or strategy it may be, both are using it and showing ONE picture to the world for Pakistan's benefit. The Pakistani members on here, who often show divide between the country and the nation on here, due to their personal and political reasons, should learn from this example right here.

One of your best! These may not be as desperate times for Pakistan as barely a few years ago but situation still very fragile .. To hell with PC!

Back
Top Bottom