What's new

Army Aviation should get fighter planes!

i thought that the A-5 was a fighter bomber why is the air force using these air crafts to hit these militant hide outs. i think it does have a pretty good cannons. i think the A-5 was only inducted because of its ground attack capability right.

They are that is why we had a bomb blast in sargodha Base right next to the ATC, then in Peshawar AFB and then in Kamra.
PAF got a chance they used A-5s and F-7Ps and our pilots did a very good job unfortunatly in such missions there is always a chance of innocent people getting hurt.

They are that is why we had a bomb blast in sargodha Base right next to the ATC, then in Peshawar AFB and then in Kamra.
PAF got a chance they used A-5s and F-7Ps and our pilots did a very good job unfortunatly in such missions there is always a chance of innocent people getting hurt.

Can A-5 fire guided bombs? JDAMs? I hate **** bombs. :undecided:

Can A-5 fire guided bombs? JDAMs? I hate **** bombs. :undecided:

I do not think so. The A-5's primary Air to Surface weaponry is free fall/cluster bombs and 68mm SNEB rockets. Although I am aware that PAF have tested out F-7s with LGBs relying on lasing of the targets by aircraft equipped with LDPs (Both F-16s and Mirage ROSE II/III platforms are capable of this).

A-5 being a much older airframe than the F-7s may not have the wiring in place for the LGB loadout.

Hi,

What I have read about this plane ( A 5 ) is that it doesnot provide any protection to the pilot when used for troop support role for ground attack---like the SU 25 or the A 10---.

That is true. However when it was developed, neither the Russian or the American platforms were available in the market.

It is suitable for high speed low altitude flying (not in the class of F-111 or anything like that), but given the cost, it was deemed to be a decent CAS aircraft by PAF who had the Chinese develop A-5C with western avionics and wiring for US and French AAMs and Ejection seats.

I am sure the ROSE II/III Mirages and F-16s do a better job of getting the ordnance on the target than the A-5, however the latter is definitely more rugged than the former. Not a bad platform for the PAF for the last two decades when PGMs were rare and coming of age.

That is true. However when it was developed, neither the Russian or the American platforms were available in the market.

It is suitable for high speed low altitude flying (not in the class of F-111 or anything like that), but given the cost, it was deemed to be a decent CAS aircraft by PAF who had the Chinese develop A-5C with western avionics and wiring for US and French AAMs and Ejection seats.

I am sure the ROSE II/III Mirages and F-16s do a better job of getting the ordnance on the target than the A-5, however the latter is definitely more rugged than the former. Not a bad platform for the PAF for the last two decades when PGMs were rare and coming of age.

PAF pilots hate this a/c. it is the flying coffin as far as they r concerned.

I don't think with the kind of budget and infra structure army has it should induct fixed wing aircraft. However PAF can induct A-37's or aircraft like. This I think is the best option.

I don't think with the kind of budget and infra structure army has it should induct fixed wing aircraft. However PAF can induct A-37's or aircraft like. This I think is the best option.

totally agree!

PAF pilots hate this a/c. it is the flying coffin as far as they r concerned.

I am aware of this as well, but part of the problem is that not all aircraft were upgraded with MB 0/0 ejection seats because of the US embargo. Otherwise it is still pretty rugged (as was the case with F-6).

In any case, the sooner we get JF-17s rolling, the better off will be PAF.

Can't disagree with you guys on this one. Leave combat aircraft to the PAF.
Is there a chance PAF would procure a ground-attack variant of JF-17 reportedly being developed by CAC now?

Can't disagree with you guys on this one. Leave combat aircraft to the PAF.

I am sure there are dedicated squadrons for that role. But which ones have that role has to be known (Black Spider does, who else). It seems like future PAF is a multirole air force.

Nonetheless, more funds are needed for more helciopter gunships etc.

Hi,

For ground attack and troop support, you would need a bath tub made of titanium to fit the JF 17 cockpit.

Back
Top Bottom