What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

The Arjun MBT’s Final Trial By Fire Detailed idrw.org

arjun.JPG

The photo of Arjun MBTs above and the following detailed account appears in the latest DRDO newsletter: Comparative trials between MBT Arjun and T-90 tanks were held during 15 February to 12 March 2010, to evaluate the utilisation strategy by the Indian Army. The evaluation parameters were firepower, mobility, maintainability and medium fording. The trials were conducted in four phases.

Phase I: This was conducted at 180 Armoured Brigade, Bikaner. Acceleration, turning radius, stab performance, ergonomics, static fuel consumption, and serviceability and mean time to repair were checked for various subsystems of the tanks.

Phase II: This was conducted at Hisar, Haryana. Check was made for medium fording capability.

Phase III: This was conducted at Mahajan Ranges, Rajasthan. Bridge crossing, night driving, maximum speed on cross-country and on hard ground, tilt driving, firing of primary and secondary ammunition, firing at night with thermal imagers (TI), consistency, rate of fire, thermal signature, TI capability and firing of small arms and Air Defence (AD) Gun were compared. In this phase, approximately 100 rounds were fired and 150 km of mobility run was completed by each of the 14 MBT Arjun tanks.

Phase IV:This was conducted at Ranjitpura, Rajasthan. mobility in the desert and tactical cruising range were evaluated by running three tanks each for additional 150 km. MBT Arjun displayed its capabilities and successfully passed all the trials.

i think arjun tank should be sold to foreign military like insas rifle. because corrupted indian army never buy it any more.

i think arjun tank should be sold to foreign military like insas rifle. because corrupted indian army never buy it any more.

problem is whos gonna buy it and also the foreign companies involved in its production must also agree(and they are very involved)

also i thought trial by fire means its was used in war but okay w/e

problem is whos gonna buy it and also the foreign companies involved in its production must also agree(and they are very involved)

There has been an RFI made regarding the Arjun , but i doubt it would be sold and there are no likely buyers at this time. While the Tank may have trumped the T-90 , India i still a new player on the market , and inducting a new tank from a new supplier is huge logistics investment.

Also to remember Arjun Still uses nearly 40% imported systems in its construction. Most notably the German Engine.

While There is work to make a domestic gas turbine engine for the Arjun and future tanks it is still a ways of.

also i thought trial by fire means its was used in war but okay w/e

well to be fair this trial was just short of that.
This was a crucial point for the Arjun.
If the Arjun had disappointed the observers , or given any cause to the critics ,who have been very vocal about what they though of the tank.

It would have been the last Word on the Arjun.

Thankfully however the Arjun out gunned , outperformed the T-90.
It doubles its order to 248 tanks with a stunning show.
Secured funding for the Arjun Mk-II
And silenced all neigh sayers in doing so.

Pre March 2010 , you will find dozens of articles with so called "experts" questioning the tank. After the trials , nothing DRDO has quite hooray , army begrudging is forced to acknowledge the Arjun and silently places another order for 2 more regiments and Critics disappear from whence they came.

arjun.JPG

The photo of Arjun MBTs above and the following detailed account appears in the latest DRDO newsletter: Comparative trials between MBT Arjun and T-90 tanks were held during 15 February to 12 March 2010, to evaluate the utilisation strategy by the Indian Army.

The evaluation parameters were firepower, mobility, maintainability and medium fording. The trials were conducted in four phases.

Phase I: This was conducted at 180 Armoured Brigade, Bikaner. Acceleration, turning radius, stab performance, ergonomics, static fuel consumption, and serviceability and mean time to repair were checked for various subsystems of the tanks.

Phase II: This was conducted at Hisar, Haryana. Check was made for medium fording capability.

Phase III: This was conducted at Mahajan Ranges, Rajasthan. Bridge crossing, night driving, maximum speed on cross-country and on hard ground, tilt driving, firing of primary and secondary ammunition, firing at night with thermal imagers (TI), consistency, rate of fire, thermal signature, TI capability and firing of small arms and Air Defence (AD) Gun were compared. In this phase, approximately 100 rounds were fired and 150 km of mobility run was completed by each of the 14 MBT Arjun tanks.

Phase IV:This was conducted at Ranjitpura, Rajasthan. Mobility in the desert and tactical cruising range were evaluated by running three tanks each for additional 150 km. MBT Arjun displayed its capabilities and successfully passed all the trials.

Last edited:
One request to MODS as arjun got order of total of 250 tanks and GoI give go ahead of MkII

Please Make this as a STICKY THREAD:angel:

Actually you guys are getting it wrong. A tank never operates beyond a range of ~500km. The Fuel tanks behind it are used when the tank is to be moved to some place via roadways and not in the battlefields. And they don't blow up so easily. So cheer up............

Last edited:
can some plzz tell dat why IA is still goin in for t 90s even when arjun has proved its mattle, is it just due to cost problems or corruption ???

order for 1000 t-90's was placed before the competition. now waiting for arjun mk2 with even superior performance.

Why is Arjun tank not popular?
I mean is it the performance?
Because the performance is kinda good.
I mean far away from challanger 2,leopard and the future tank altay but still i think it deserves top 10 list.

Why is Arjun tank not popular?
I mean is it the performance?
Because the performance is kinda good.
I mean far away from challanger 2,leopard and the future tank altay but still i think it deserves top 10 list.

It is a matter of confidence in the defence research institutions in the country. Indian armed forces love the sophisticated arms imported and have got habituated to it. Any change is resisted in large organisations and that was the initial hiccups. Once the army realised the issue, things are falling back on track.

Arjun is hugely underrated around the world. A system that can prove its worth in a war is the real champion and I think Arjun can surprise the enemy.
:cheers:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom