What's new

Arabs must accept Jerusalem’s status

In sign of gently warming ties, Bahraini delegation visits Israel
Members of the 'This is Bahrain' group say they were sent by King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa 'with a message of peace'
By TOI STAFF10 December 2017, 1:53 am
  • Members of the 'This is Bahrain' group during a visit to Israel in December 2017. (Screen capture: Hadashot TV)

A delegation of religious figures from the Gulf kingdom of Bahrain arrived in Israel this week “in order to send a message of peace,” in an extremely rare instance of representatives from an Arab country without diplomatic relations visiting the Jewish state.

The trip seemed to signal a further warming of ties between Israel and Bahrain, which a report earlier this year said are on a path to normalizing diplomatic relations.

The delegation, which is made up of 24 members of the “This is Bahrain” group — which on its website heralds a commitment to a vision of “religious freedom and peaceful co-existence where we all live together in harmony in the spirit of mutual respect and love” — is in Israel for a four-day visit meant to send a message of religious tolerance and coexistence.

“The king sent us with a message of peace to the whole world,” a Shiite cleric on the trip told Hadashot TV news, which aired a report on Saturday about the group.

AP_17141229447567-640x400.jpg

Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa speaks during a meeting with US President Donald Trump, May 21, 2017, in Riyadh. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
    The cleric said that Shiites, who make up a majority of the Sunni ruled country, do not harbor ill will towards members of any other faiths.

“The Shiites in Bahrain and outside don’t feel hatred, they don’t carry a message of loathing or hate towards any religion or religious stream whatsoever,” he said.

Bahrain faced protests from its Shiite community following the outbreak of the Arab Spring across the region in 2011. With the help of Saudi Arabia, which sent troops across the causeway separating the two countries, Bahrain put down the demonstrations, which it accused Shiite majority Iran of helping orchestrate.

Like Israel, Bahrain has extremely fraught relations with Iran, and the September report, from the Middle East Eye website, quoted an unnamed Bahraini official as saying the establishment of ties between Jerusalem and Manama could help counter Iran.

32645729593_f856cca903_o-400x250.png

Rabbis Marvin Hier and Abraham Cooper of the Simon Wiesenthal Center meet with the King of Bahrain Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa in Bahrain on February 23, 2017. (Courtesy)
    That report came days after a prominent rabbi who met with Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa told The Times of Israel that the king said he opposes the Arab states’ boycott of Israel and intends to allow citizens from his kingdom to visit the Jewish state freely.

Bahrain, a group of islands in the Persian gulf with a population of 1.4 million, has no formal diplomatic relations with the State of Israel. However, a trickle of Israeli tourists and businessmen have been known to visit the country in recent years.

Other WikiLeaks documents show that senior officials from both countries have spoken in recent years, including a 2007 meeting between then-foreign minister Tzipi Livni and Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa in New York. In 2009, Al Khalifa also signaled that he was willing to meet Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to try to advance the peace process, but ultimately decided not to go ahead with the plan.

While Jerusalem and Manama have never maintained diplomatic relations, in 2005, the king boasted to an American official that his state has contacts with Israel “at the intelligence/security level (i.e., with Mossad),” according to a secret US diplomatic cable published by WikiLeaks. The king also indicated willingness “to move forward in other areas, although it will be difficult for Bahrain to be the first.”

In 2009, Bahrain’s crown prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa penned an op-ed for the Washington Post, in which he urged Arab countries to communicate more with Israel for the sake of the peace process.

In 2016, when former president Shimon Peres died, Bahrain was the only Gulf country to publicly mourn his passing.

I know about this secret relations of Arab with Israel but right now,things are not in favor of israel.there is anger and anxiety among Muslim countries.i am not talking about their leaders.things will get out of control.it is about religion.

I know about this secret relations of Arab with Israel but right now,things are not in favor of israel.there is anger and anxiety among Muslim countries.i am not talking about their leaders.things will get out of control.it is about religion.
Is this not progress, wiping away the dross of fake illegality and getting down to the nub?

Who is USA to decide and announce which city of which country to be the capital? Is Israel is a colony of USA? Rest of the world is slave of USA to accept whatever USA decides for each country? how this is making any sense ?

Trust me, the moment we can remove Israel, we will.
Daniel Pipes writes that what's going on is a change in Sunni Muslim thinking: the end of accepting dhimmi status in favor of the ethnic cleansing non-Muslims.

This is bid'dah, a forbidden type of religious innovation, yes? Why do you advocate what can reasonably be lableled a severe heresy? Why shouldn't the proper response of non-Muslims be to reject such "Muslim" rule entirely?

Daniel Pipes writes that what's going on is a change in Sunni Muslim thinking: the end of accepting dhimmi status in favor of the ethnic cleansing non-Muslims.

This is bid'dah, a forbidden type of religious innovation, yes? Why do you advocate what can reasonably be lableled a severe heresy? Why shouldn't the proper response of non-Muslims be to reject such "Muslim" rule entirely?

When did I say ethnic cleansing was my objective?

The aim of the game is simple. Dismantle Israel, and it's citizens can either leave, die, or coexist.

When did I say ethnic cleansing was my objective?
The aim of the game is simple. Dismantle Israel, and it's citizens can either leave, die, or coexist.
Where are your Jews, then? Where are the Jews of Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Iraq?

No Jews = no credibility that the objective is to "coexist" rather than ethnically cleanse.

Where are your Jews, then? Where are the Jews of Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Iraq?

No Jews = no credibility that the objective is to "coexist" rather than ethnically cleanse.

Well, the Jews in Pakistan converted to Hinduism/Buddhism and then Islam (assuming that Pashtuns and Kashmiris are descended from Jews, as the evidence would suggest).

As for the other regions, most of their Jews went to Israel and you know this. There has never been a holocaust in the Islamic world, things were going dandy until Israel decided to nick some land and spoil things for everyone.

Also your mantra, check.

Is loyalty always an admirable thing? And deeds can't logically be labelled as "pernicious" if they are beneficial, can they?

Are you listening to yourself? Now we have to debate on whether loyalty is always an admirable thing? What is admirable then? Selective loyalty is actually disloyalty.

This just shows how morally corrupt Zionists have become. Holding on to a piece of land has cost them their souls.

Well, the Jews in Pakistan converted to Hinduism/Buddhism and then Islam...As for the other regions, most of their Jews went to Israel and you know this -
You couldn't keep your Jews, just as Pipes writes. And Pipes explicitly points out that what is going on is Sunnis committing ethnic cleansing, not genocide.

What is your response to the bid'dah question I asked you earlier?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom