What's new

ARABIC language to be POPULARIZED in Pakistan

what is happening in middle east is happening even after knowing Arabic so there are many other causes of such problems
more literature rejecting the Khawarij ideology is present in Arabic right from Shahabs and Imams .... so I am afraid of this aspect as counter is already available

Urdu are right. Urdu has some limitations. It doesn't have the diverse versatility as English or Arabic. This is the reason why you rarely see horror, animate, superhero movies in Urdu.
horror, animation and superhero represent imagination which is one of the most important aspect of language and its literature but what I am trying to point out is that WE HAVE STOP CREATING KNOWLEDGE rather we are just adopting it therefore our evolution of our local languages appear stagnant.

what is happening in middle east is happening even after knowing Arabic so there are many other causes of such problems
why the same was not happening from many centuries ..... ???
Why the current situation appear after the invasion of Iraq and destabilisation of Syria ....??

so what is happening in middle east it have political reason not religious ....

Last edited:
It will cut the role of Fasadi in the name of religion and those who could learn the language could themselves consult the basic religious texts rather remain dependent on someone .... in short IT WILL GIVER POWER TO QUESTION THE RELIGIOUS ELITE

As admirable as the idea is it doesn't actually work. The problem with the Muslim world today isn't about not being able to read the Quran, it's about not understanding and/or not wanting to understand what it says. The Quran has been translated at least a dozen times in pretty much every single written language of the world, including tafseers. One does not need to learn any new language at all.

The actual problem starts when we start believing that we can just read the Quran and gain an understanding of what it says. While one can correctly understand some verses just through their literal meanings, most of the Quran cannot be understood, in fact can be grossly misunderstood, through just the literal readings of the text. This is the reason why the Ahadith (The Prophet's S.A.W commentary on the said verses), Sunnah (enactment of those verses by the Prophet S.A.W himself), historical contexts, literary contexts, historical literary use of the language (the Arabic in the Quran is very different from the one in use today), understanding of the ancient Arabic poetic verse (it's in poetry, at a level which even the famous poets of the time couldn't grasp) and the scholastic work done on them and describing them is so important. Let alone the fact that a lot of 'Islam' is not found in the Quran. All of this was perfectly understood and followed by the Muslim world from the time of the Prophet (S.A.W) till only a few hundred years ago when our 'ullema' became more mullah's than scholars. For example, the Quran does indeed tell us to kill all the kuffar, as excitedly pointed out by many Islamophobes and 'Muslims' alike. It does not add anything to it, no explanation. It is only through the study of these 'supplementary readings' that we understand that that commandment was for a specific time, against a specific army, for a specific reason, in response to a specific act of aggression with dozens of footnotes as to how to go about it. The Sahabah themselves knew and completely understood this. Explanations on the verses were regularly sought from the Prophet (S.A.W) after their revelation. After his (S.A.W) passing they were sought from the Prophet's (S.A.W) wives (R.A) and his (S.A.W) closest companions. Later, from scholars who had spent decades studying and researching specific subjects before ever giving religious rulings. These scholars, exactly understanding the matter at hand, laid the foundations of the Islamic Scholastic tradition, e.g. the elaborate and painstaking scientific mechanisms through which a hadith's authenticity is determined. They completely understood that without these additional sources Islam would be lost and hence their meticulous efforts to preserve and refine them over hundreds of years.

All of this, hundreds of years of academic effort, was lost when that one man of obtuse thought and political motives got up, read the Quran and proclaimed himself fit enough to pass Islamic decrees, as did the man to his right and the man to his left. The Mullah was born, the academic, scientific and scholastic tradition of Islam was destroyed, the scientific tradition of the Muslim world was lost, contradictions arose, divisions arose, the Muslim world fell and today we have the most popular image of a religious Muslim as one who wears a suicide vest. Remember, this all happened in a world where the mother tongue was and still is Arabic.

Luckily, all of the needed additional resources mentioned above are still available to anyone who wants them, in any language they want them in.

ps: I was forced to take Arabic as my optional subject at school for eight years. My Dad actually changed my school so that I could. He had the same reasoning as you. Two years after stopping I could barely speak it, today I can barely understand it. Never did it ever bring me any closer to understanding Islam or the Quran. I understood Islam (well whatever little I do) through elective courses I took in English. Ironically, most of them were not taught by religious people at all but instead by authorities in the respective fields, e.g. Islamic Anthropology by an Anthropologist and Islamic Jurisprudence by a Professor of Law. The scholastic tradition is a beautiful thing.

why the same was not happening from many centuries ..... ???
Why the current situation appear after the invasion of Iraq and destabilisation of Syria ....??

so what is happening in middle east it have political reason not religious ....

It has always been political. Every single instance, in essence, including Pakistan. The sheep are motivated through emotions, the shepherds through politics of power. Ever since the third Caliph.

Because we have stop evolving the intellectually as nation .... just give read to the literature in any local language you will realise the subjects are limited the imagination of writers have stop evolving they are still stuck in 18 and 19 centuries same old romance based stories some exception could be given in poetry but than again these exceptions are not creating impact on whole of the language and mindset .....

Always remember Evolution of Language represent Intellectual Evolution of the People who speak that language

I agree. But somehow I believe that a lot of it has also been voluntary on our part. I mean the course I took on Iqbal's poetry was taught in English. Pakistanis have written best sellers in English. We have relegated Urdu to second class while Punjabi and Sindhi are considered distasteful in the educated circles, circles who are supposed to further the languages and literature. I hate to use cliches but we haven't ever shaken off our insecurities from the colonial era.

Urdu are right. Urdu has some limitations. It doesn't have the diverse versatility as English or Arabic. This is the reason why you rarely see horror, animate, superhero movies in Urdu.

Au contraire, the beauty, depth and versatility with which Urdu expresses itself is seldom matched by other languages. While Arabic is comparable, English is shallow and modest, very modest. They don't make the movies because they don't know how to.

Your post is the result of never really having read actual Urdu literature.

Last edited:
I agree. But somehow I believe that a lot of it has also been voluntary on our part. I mean the course I took on Iqbal's poetry was taught in English. Pakistanis have written best sellers in English. We have relegated Urdu to second class while Punjabi and Sindhi are considered distasteful in the educated circles, circles who are supposed to further the languages and literature. I hate to use cliches but we haven't ever shaken off our insecurities from the colonial era.
agreed therefore I said
what I am trying to point out is that WE HAVE STOP CREATING KNOWLEDGE rather we are just adopting it

The problem with the Muslim world today isn't about not being able to read the Quran, it's about not understanding and/or not wanting to understand what it says. The Quran has been translated at least a dozen times in pretty much every single written language of the world, including tafseers.
What my understanding is those who are not interested to read and understand the Quran are two types
- One who are either least bother with it
- or those who just simply oppose any thing which have its association with Islam

but those who prefer to read these tafaseers and translations are the main cause of concern as they are told and taught to read Translation and tafseer by a particular Molvi of a particular sect and associate themselves with that sect and the molvis of that sect on the basis of holiness rather that their logical understanding
The actual problem starts when we start believing that we can just read the Quran and gain an understanding of what it says.
agreed this is the wrong thing but what I want and support is to give at least more than rudimentary understanding of Arabic to the common person same as most of people read and write English today so yes not all of them are creating literature in English but not dependent to read and understand the basics

While one can correctly understand some verses just through their literal meanings, most of the Quran cannot be understood, in fact can be grossly misunderstood, through just the literal readings of the text. This is the reason why the Ahadith (The Prophet's S.A.W commentary on the said verses), Sunnah (enactment of those verses by the Prophet S.A.W himself), historical contexts, literary contexts, historical literary use of the language (the Arabic in the Quran is very different from the one in use today), understanding of the ancient Arabic poetic verse (it's in poetry, at a level which even the famous poets of the time couldn't grasp) and the scholastic work done on them and describing them is so important. Let alone the fact that a lot of 'Islam' is not found in the Quran. All of this was perfectly understood and followed by the Muslim world from the time of the Prophet (S.A.W) till only a few hundred years ago when our 'ullema' became more mullah's than scholars. For example, the Quran does indeed tell us to kill all the kuffar, as excitedly pointed out by many Islamophobes and 'Muslims' alike. It does not add anything to it, no explanation. It is only through the study of these 'supplementary readings' that we understand that that commandment was for a specific time, against a specific army, for a specific reason, in response to a specific act of aggression with dozens of footnotes as to how to go about it. The Sahabah themselves knew and completely understood this. Explanations on the verses were regularly sought from the Prophet (S.A.W) after their revelation. After his (S.A.W) passing they were sought from the Prophet's (S.A.W) wives (R.A) and his (S.A.W) closest companions. Later, from scholars who had spent decades studying and researching specific subjects before ever giving religious rulings. These scholars, exactly understanding the matter at hand, laid the foundations of the Islamic Scholastic tradition, e.g. the elaborate and painstaking scientific mechanisms through which a hadith's authenticity is determined. They completely understood that without these additional sources Islam would be lost and hence their meticulous efforts to preserve and refine them over hundreds of years.
fully agree with this part of your post, for detail understanding one would always need the Scholar of that subject, be it religious subject or non-religious

Last edited:
Very well said. Sadly the people who are aware of the scholastic tradition I can count on my right hand in Pakistan. In Pakistan anyone stands up quotes anything and ta-da it becomes hadith. And Pakistani/Indo islam/Sufiistic islam has too much infusion Al-Israeliaat or far fetched romantic stories which do have good morals but their validity is always questionable as they lack a proper chain of narrations.

And you are also right about the colonial bit.
As admirable as the idea is it doesn't actually work. The problem with the Muslim world today isn't about not being able to read the Quran, it's about not understanding and/or not wanting to understand what it says. The Quran has been translated at least a dozen times in pretty much every single written language of the world, including tafseers. One does not need to learn any new language at all.

The actual problem starts when we start believing that we can just read the Quran and gain an understanding of what it says. While one can correctly understand some verses just through their literal meanings, most of the Quran cannot be understood, in fact can be grossly misunderstood, through just the literal readings of the text. This is the reason why the Ahadith (The Prophet's S.A.W commentary on the said verses), Sunnah (enactment of those verses by the Prophet S.A.W himself), historical contexts, literary contexts, historical literary use of the language (the Arabic in the Quran is very different from the one in use today), understanding of the ancient Arabic poetic verse (it's in poetry, at a level which even the famous poets of the time couldn't grasp) and the scholastic work done on them and describing them is so important. Let alone the fact that a lot of 'Islam' is not found in the Quran. All of this was perfectly understood and followed by the Muslim world from the time of the Prophet (S.A.W) till only a few hundred years ago when our 'ullema' became more mullah's than scholars. For example, the Quran does indeed tell us to kill all the kuffar, as excitedly pointed out by many Islamophobes and 'Muslims' alike. It does not add anything to it, no explanation. It is only through the study of these 'supplementary readings' that we understand that that commandment was for a specific time, against a specific army, for a specific reason, in response to a specific act of aggression with dozens of footnotes as to how to go about it. The Sahabah themselves knew and completely understood this. Explanations on the verses were regularly sought from the Prophet (S.A.W) after their revelation. After his (S.A.W) passing they were sought from the Prophet's (S.A.W) wives (R.A) and his (S.A.W) closest companions. Later, from scholars who had spent decades studying and researching specific subjects before ever giving religious rulings. These scholars, exactly understanding the matter at hand, laid the foundations of the Islamic Scholastic tradition, e.g. the elaborate and painstaking scientific mechanisms through which a hadith's authenticity is determined. They completely understood that without these additional sources Islam would be lost and hence their meticulous efforts to preserve and refine them over hundreds of years.

All of this, hundreds of years of academic effort, was lost when that one man of obtuse thought and political motives got up, read the Quran and proclaimed himself fit enough to pass Islamic decrees, as did the man to his right and the man to his left. The Mullah was born, the academic, scientific and scholastic tradition of Islam was destroyed, the scientific tradition of the Muslim world was lost, contradictions arose, divisions arose, the Muslim world fell and today we have the most popular image of a religious Muslim as one who wears a suicide vest. Remember, this all happened in a world where the mother tongue was and still is Arabic.

Luckily, all of the needed additional resources mentioned above are still available to anyone who wants them, in any language they want them in.

ps: I was forced to take Arabic as my optional subject at school for eight years. My Dad actually changed my school so that I could. He had the same reasoning as you. Two years after stopping I could barely speak it, today I can barely understand it. Never did it ever bring me any closer to understanding Islam or the Quran. I understood Islam (well whatever little I do) through elective courses I took in English. Ironically, most of them were not taught by religious people at all but instead by authorities in the respective fields, e.g. Islamic Anthropology by an Anthropologist and Islamic Jurisprudence by a Professor of Law. The scholastic tradition is a beautiful thing.

It has always been political. Every single instance, in essence, including Pakistan. The sheep are motivated through emotions, the shepherds through politics of power. Ever since the third Caliph.

Au contraire, the beauty, depth and versatility with which Urdu expresses itself is seldom matched by other languages. While Arabic is comparable, English is shallow and modest, very modest. They don't make the movies because they don't know how to.

Your post is the result of never really having read actual Urdu literature.

My take is

It is a good news:
People will have a better chance of getting to know the classics of Islam and the proper chain of narrations and proper method of establishing soundess of traditions. Hence they will get to know what is mostly mistaken as "wahhabism". So instead of prostrating to graves they may reject shirk and accept true tawheed.

It is bad news:
Bcuz people will get to know the other wahabbism(again a false name) for which is actually khwarijite ideology. And arabic might pave the way for preachers of khawarijism to penetrate Pakistani society. And maybe also mizrahi jewish MOSSAD agents.

Arabic is indeed a very beautiful language with beautiful poetry and prose. The foundation of modern science. Above all it is the language of our beloved Prophet Muhammad alaihi salam. Even higher up in the religious chain of command that I follow, it was chosen by All powerful Allah azza wa jal to send down his royal commandments in.

It should be noted that:
The names such as Ahlus sunna wal jama'a/salafism/wahhabism are more or less for the same thing. It was a movement that started in Hejaz at a time when people's grip on solid evidence backed Islam was weakening and the common people were slipping into biddah, silly superstition and shirk. So a guy named Abdul wahab started a movement to go back to the classical texts and re-establish a strong relationship with how islam was practiced by the Prophet muhammad habibuna alaihi salam, his ashaba may Allah be plesed with them, the tabieen rahimahullah and the tabi tabbieen. Hence we get a solid chain of command in whixh most superior is the royal spoken word of Allah azzawajal. And the strongest links are the Beloved Muhammad alaihi salatu wasalam and then the ashaba karam may Allah be pleased with them and so on. In this way we can submit completely to Allah they way Ibrahim alai salam did no graves, no saints, no pirs/mureeds, no tyrants, no sticks or stones in between.
No "wahabbis" are nor chained to the books or lectures by the founder of the movement. Unlike some of the Indo/Pakistani schools of thought. They dont like to even call themselves "wahabbis".

You will hear the West especially Israeli/US think tanks absolutely unleashing their worst on Salafi/Wahabbi islam and creating confusion by misrepresenting Salafism whether intentionally or not is up for debate as we know they are a scheming lot. When in reality they mislabel salafism. The name they should really be USING and CRITICISING is KHWARIJISM.

Also it is in their interest to promote romantic/Sufistic kind of Islam where things are too vague and abstract so a society/culture based on such a school of thought can easily be weakened. Hence you will find likes of Rand corp. writing dissertations on how to aid the spread of Sufi Islam. Which they over the years have liked to call moderate or democratic Islam.

Pheww... I started on arabic.....

The standard should be urdu,english and mandarin which help local businesses communicate with their local partners. If people whish to learn arabic outside of school then fine but not at school.

Mandarin speaking are quitely doing another genocide a la myanmar in xinjiang
The standard should be urdu,english and mandarin which help local businesses communicate with their local partners. If people whish to learn arabic outside of school then fine but not at school.

Arabic language been back stabbed by the regimes who wanted to westernized their countries
If there's a concern or care then the Arabic would be prospered but unfortunately they didn't

Pakistan is barely hanging by a thread...
and yet.. they want to push a foreign language down our throats?

NUML-copy.jpg

Egyptian Ambassador Ahmed Fadel Yacoub said on Monday that Arabic is the language of the holy Quran also being taught in Pakistan as an important language.

“Islam is more than a religion; it has a culture and civilisation and today’s conference will give participants a deeper knowledge of Arabic and will provide opportunities to strengthen the relation among brother Muslim states,” he said while addressing the inaugural session of the two-day international conference on Contemporary Arabic Literature – New Trends in Research & Criticism as a chief guest organised by the Arabic Department of the National University of Modern Languages (NUML).

NUML Director General Brigadier Muhammad Ibrahim, NUML Languages Department Dean Dr Safeer Awan, directors, national and international scholars, heads of departments, faculty and a large number of students attended the inaugural session.

The ambassador said that Egypt will cooperate with Pakistan as far as promoting Arabic language is concerned. He said that language plays an active role in bringing countries together and this conference will open new ways to understand Arabic literature.

Earlier, NUML DG Brigadier Muhammad Ibrahim welcomed the honourable chief guest and said that every Muslim has a strong connection with Arabic as it is the language of the holy Quran and the Hadiths, that is why people of Pakistan have a special interest in this language. He said literature has no boundaries and so today’s conference will pave the way to open new horizons to understand this great language as best scholars from different countries will present their research papers in the conference.

In the two-day conference, research scholars from Brunei Darul Salam, Jordon, Egypt, United Arab Emirates and Pakistan will present their papers.

———————————————————————————————————————————————

!!!مرحبا حبيبى :smitten:
Arabic needs to be introduced as a compulsory subject in schools. Start from class two and teach it just like English and other Languages are taught starting from Alphabets and than moving on so by the time a person passes 10th grade in school he or she has read arabic of at least 8th standard by than

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom