What's new

Anyone do martial arts?

True, but you seemed to imply as if Krav Maga's effective was in question. Hence, my reply. If you already know KM is effective then no need for your to raise subliminal doubts via video...I hope you understand what I mean.

P.S No nationalist chest thumping from me.

Let's just leave it at that. I don't like to argue over pity and small things. I'm sure you agree with me.

No offense intended for the sport or you. I don't know much about KM, nor am I fit to judge it's effectiveness, since I am not a soldier.

True, but you seemed to imply as if Krav Maga's effective was in question. Hence, my reply. If you already know KM is effective then no need for your to raise subliminal doubts about the video...I hope you understand what I mean.

P.S No nationalist chest thumping from me.

Let's just leave it at that. I don't like to argue over pity and small things. I'm sure you agree with me.

Developed by Israelis? This must be a good one.

Bahut chaloo hain ye log.

Ok cool but isn't everyone else just as smart as you are?

No way to kill them.

You are right. But then one needs to consider the response of an individual in the heat of the moment.

You see, when faced with imminent danger, a human's physiology goes into the "Flight or Fight" mode. Chaos and confusion follows. In such a scenario, the one who can collect his/her wits and take stock of the situation and respond, is the one left standing. More often than not, such individuals who show presence of mind, are the ones who can devise a weapon out of anything they can grab. That is what I meant by "IF one knows how to use a weapon". Hope that clears it.

You are right. But then one needs to consider the response of an individual in the heat of the moment.

You see, when faced with imminent danger, a human's physiology goes into the "Flight or Fight" mode. Chaos and confusion follows. In such a scenario, the one who can collect his/her wits and take stock of the situation and respond, is the one left standing. More often than not, such individuals who show presence of mind, are the ones who can devise a weapon out of anything they can grab. That is what I meant by "IF one knows how to use a weapon". Hope that clears it.

It's nice to talk clinically about fight or flight, but really I haven't experienced anything of the sort. Most actual fights are reluctant affairs in this civilized first world of ours. Grabbing anything would be a serious escalation that I just haven't seen first hand or second hand.

Lol, look around you. Everything is a deadly weapon, IF you know how to use it.
Everything can be used as a weapon provided the user understand the object's utility. Part of that understanding includes instinctively knowing the object's strengths and weaknesses. The fight scene in the first Jason Bourne movie where the lead character uses a pen to counter a knife is instructive. The pen is a pointed object but its weaknesses are its short length, small size, and lack of grip. Therefore, the best hold is the 'ice pick' hold with the thumb bracing the pen's end to prevent slipping once the point made contact and resistance. I taught self defense for women where keys are held between the fingers like talons. The more solid the object the quicker the learning on how to use it as a weapon.

It's nice to talk clinically about fight or flight, but really I haven't experienced anything of the sort. Most actual fights are reluctant affairs in this civilized first world of ours. Grabbing anything would be a serious escalation that I just haven't seen first hand or second hand.
And this is why you will lose a physical altercation. A fist is an escalation. The elbow is a natural formation of the upper and lower arms when bent. An 'elbow strike' is an escalation. Failure to exploit any possible extension and increased lethality to one's body to quickly end a fight is -- foolish.

Everything can be used as a weapon provided the user understand the object's utility. Part of that understanding includes instinctively knowing the object's strengths and weaknesses. The fight scene in the first Jason Bourne movie where the lead character uses a pen to counter a knife is instructive. The pen is a pointed object but its weaknesses are its short length, small size, and lack of grip. Therefore, the best hold is the 'ice pick' hold with the thumb bracing the pen's end to prevent slipping once the point made contact and resistance. I taught self defense for women where keys are held between the fingers like talons. The more solid the object the quicker the learning on how to use it as a weapon.

Oh efing hell. Seriously? "where keys are held between the fingers like talons" How many of the women you taught will have the presence of mind to take out their keys and start sticking them between their fingers? Also surely you know that a closed (or open) handed strike does far more damage than jabbing someone with some keys.

What you taught those women is not a viable defence against the small chance of danger they might encounter (I'd rather have a ra pe alarm) but a false sense of security.
And this is why you will lose a physical altercation. A fist is an escalation. The elbow is a natural formation of the upper and lower arms when bent. An 'elbow strike' is an escalation. Failure to exploit any possible extension and increased lethality to one's body to quickly end a fight is -- foolish.

Christ, you're not some karate nerds that dream about delivering some mythical debilitating blow are you?

Oh efing hell. Seriously? "where keys are held between the fingers like talons" How many of the women you taught will have the presence of mind to take out their keys and start sticking them between their fingers? Also surely you know that a closed (or open) handed strike does far more damage than jabbing someone with some keys.

What you taught those women is not a viable defence against the small chance of danger they might encounter (I'd rather have a ra pe alarm) but a false sense of security.
An open hand give the attacker a chance to grab and break fingers, inflicting distracting and disabling pain. Been watching too many 1970s Black Belt Theater marathons? :D

How many bar fights are lethal affairs?
More than you would like to believe.

An open hand give the attacker a chance to grab and break fingers, inflicting distracting and disabling pain. Been watching too many 1970s Black Belt Theater marathons? :D

More than you would like to believe.

Well that's it. If you really believe the average drunk pull ultra-ninja finger breaking moves, you're definitely some karate nerd that secretly think they can beat everyone.

Riiiighttt...And a horn is soooo much more better. Any rapist that will be frightened off by a horn will be discouraged by a feisty woman willing to fight. Any rapist willing to subdue such a fighting and screaming for help woman will not be deterred by a horn. And submission will guarantee sexual assault.

Back
Top Bottom