What's new

Any updates: surface to air missile defense system for INDIA

lilaspr

Reaction score
Any updates India's planning to buy Iron Dome missile defense system

Standing tall against unremitting rocket campaign – Iron Dome, the most Effective Rocket Defense System in world

"Standing tall against unremitting rocket campaign by Hamas- Iron Dome, the most effective rocket defense system in world, developed by Haifa-based Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd., Israel. A company already known for its Barak surface-to-air missile (SAM), David’s Sling, SPYDER and Spike fire-and-forget anti-tank guided missile."

After reading this article, to my understanding Iron Dome is a good choice for India.

There are few option available in market:

1) MIM-104 Patriot - I am not sure if US is willing to offer, but a "proven missile defense systems."
2) S-500 - Already another S-300 in service - better tech know-how to Indian system operators. last time i heard, they are planning for extended range up to 300KM system S-300VM. So they must be happy with it. The S-500 could be a right choice.
3) Iron Dome
4) Akash defense system - Already in service
5) Barak 8 - India is partner so i am sure they will go for it.

Any updates India's planning to buy Iron Dome missile defense system

Standing tall against unremitting rocket campaign – Iron Dome, the most Effective Rocket Defense System in world

"Standing tall against unremitting rocket campaign by Hamas- Iron Dome, the most effective rocket defense system in world, developed by Haifa-based Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd., Israel. A company already known for its Barak surface-to-air missile (SAM), David’s Sling, SPYDER and Spike fire-and-forget anti-tank guided missile."

After reading this article, to my understanding Iron Dome is a good choice for India.

There are few option available in market:

1) MIM-104 Patriot - I am not sure if US is willing to offer, but a "proven missile defense systems."
2) S-500 - Already another S-300 in service - better tech know-how to Indian system operators. last time i heard, they are planning for extended range up to 300KM system S-300VM. So they must be happy with it. The S-500 could be a right choice.
3) Iron Dome
4) Akash defense system - Already in service
5) Barak 8 - India is partner so i am sure they will go for it.

Iron Dome is not really comparable to the other air defence systems, because it's mainly to counter smaller rockets, or possibly artillery amo, but besides the systems you mentioned we already have inducted Spyder SAM, hopefully soon fix Maitri SAM development, based on MICA VL and have David’s Sling on offer too.

) MIM-104 Patriot - I am not sure if US is willing to offer, but a "proven missile defense systems."

If my memory serves me well , Patriot was offered to India few years back, but India politely said No .

How sophisticated are Hamas rockets by the way ? A little better than the V-2 probably ...

How sophisticated are Hamas rockets by the way ? A little better than the V-2 probably ...

so your analogy ?

Your are saying these ''V-2'' rockets are not fatal when gets dropped on civilian buildings ?

Anything with projectile and attached with any kind of warheads is fatal and destructive ,henceforth the Iron Dome comes calling .

If my memory serves me well , Patriot was offered to India few years back, but India politely said No .
In this case India should go for few batteries of Patriot system, i am still not sure.
Why India said no if offered?
Its one of the best system available.

In this case India should go for few batteries of Patriot system, i am still not sure.

Because we develop own balistic missile defence systems too.

Other than different systems, we should look out for different genres of SAM.

For long range: S-300 and later by S-400
Medium range: Akash would suffice along with Barak 8.
Short range: Barak 1, Maitri (when available)

The list doesn't include MANPADs and anti-aircraft guns/artillery, which are equally important.

so your analogy ?

Your are saying these ''V-2'' rockets are not fatal when gets dropped on civilian buildings ?

So , the only rockets that " Iron Dome " has destroyed till now are based on a vintage home made design ... Are you sure you will be facing those ? First of all , it wasn't an analogy ... My point simply was that the system must prove itself against modern missiles ...

s_g28_RTR3ALW5.jpg

An Iron Dome launcher fires an interceptor rocket near the Israeli city of Ashkelon, on November 19, 2012.
s_g18_49313839.jpg

An Iron Dome missile is launched in Tel Aviv, to intercept a rocket fired from Gaza

So , the only rockets that " Iron Dome " has destroyed till now are based on a vintage home made design ... Are you sure you will be facing those ? First of all , it wasn't an analogy ... My point simply was that the system must prove itself against modern missiles ...

Will be equally effective, modernity in missile means improved guidance and lesser CEP, trajectory will remain the same.

but irondome is against missiles/shells with small range and considering our geography we dont need such a costly system in none of our cities...

may be we can use it in our forward bases

Other than different systems, we should look out for different genres of SAM.

For long range: S-300 and later by S-400
Medium range: Akash would suffice along with Barak 8.
Agree S-400 seems a smart decision, Barak 8 is it operational now?

India's current SAMs are heavily obsolete.
Mostly upgraded sa-3 pechoras,these are being replaced by Israeli SPYDER now.These will mostly guard airbases and command centres.

S-300PMU-2[6 SYSTEMS] for strategic ballistic missile defence of key cities.This will be complemented by the new DRDO ballistic defence system which is based on israeli ARROW 2.

The mid range SAMs are mostly sa-6s AND SA-13s which Are being replaced by indigenous AKASH.3000+missiles on order.

Maitri is in development as long term short range quick recation missile and barak 8 as long range sam system with over 100 km range.It will also go to navy.
Navy has barak 1 short range sams and sa-11 naval version of torm1 sam systems as standard armament on frigates and destroyers.

Apart from these tunguska gun/missile systems for land and kashtan for navy.Plus MANPADS[iglas and sa-7 grails][tender going for new ] and lots of anti air gun artillery.

Barak 8 naval version will equip new kolkata class destroyers from next year on.
Land version with extended range will come later.

Back
Top Bottom