What's new

Anna Hazare released from jail after India-wide protests, begins fasting

Jan Lokapl Bill

• Total voters
There are some serious concerns about the bill. When we talk about 'prominent people' from civil society taking up the role of Lokpal, we have no idea who they are, and the common man has NO SAY in selecting that person. What if that prominent person is also corrupt? What if an Arundhati Roy is given a membership of Lokpal committee?

Secondly, the process that Anna is taking towards implementation of this bill is nothing short of blackmail. I'd say more but things have been put quite eloquently here:

Of the few, by the few

The article does make interesting counter points. I do agree that at this point, we are asking for something on a very gigantic scale. The whole process of this bill has to be first implemented and fine-tuned over a period of time. But then again, that negates the whole purpose of this bill, isnt it?

As for calling the hunger strike a blackmail, I disagree. How was it OK or morally right when it was for freedom struggle but not ok when it comes to calling for an effective anti-corruption bill? Isnt that how democracy should work? Its good to see that the government is afraid of the people, not the other way around.

I can understand your concerns about 'prominent members' being appointed into the Lokpal. The 'prominent people' should possess certain qualifications to be on board and should be elected by the local communities. I dont think AR would have that kind of local support.
They amount to an unparalleled concentration of power in one institution that will literally be able to summon any institution and command any kind of police, judicial and investigative power. Power, divided in a democracy, can often be alibi for evading responsibility. But it is also a guarantee that the system is not at the mercy of a few good men. Having concentrated immense power, it then displays extraordinary faith in the virtue of those who will wield this power. Why do we think this institution will be incorruptible?
IIRC, the Lokpal will NOT have the power to disrupt normal functioning of the government. It will have the power to book people accused of corruption, but isnt the whole process subservient to the judiciary? Lokpal isnt goint to be another independent judiciary. Its role would be just to fast track the process of bringing the corrupt to trial, and to create awareness and pressure on the government bodies to ensure that timelines are adhered to.

it does not follow that creating a draconian new institution that diminishes everything from the Prime Minister’s Office to the Supreme Court is a solution. The net result of a “Lokpal” will be to weaken the authority of even other well-functioning institutions.
That would be a very pessimistic view of the process. Does the Judiciary subvert the offices or the functioning of the government? No. So why would a lesser institution with limited powers that too subjected to the judiciary undermine the elected offices of the government?

But the claim that the “people” are not represented by elected representatives, but are represented by their self-appointed guardians is disturbing. In a democracy, one ought to freely express views. But anyone who claims to be the “authentic” voice of the people is treading on very thin ice indeed.
Excellent point. I agree with this whole heartedly. However being the devil's advocate, we know how certain politicians get elected and the term 'elected representatives' is nothing but a misnomer in such cases. People then resort to either violence (Naxals?) or supporting social activists like Anna Hazare. Why, during the British Raj, we did have elections to elect representatives to the legislature, and yet we reposed our collective faith in Gandhi. Wouldnt that be considered a form of democracy as well?

The article does make interesting counter points. I do agree that at this point, we are asking for something on a very gigantic scale. The whole process of this bill has to be first implemented and fine-tuned over a period of time. But then again, that negates the whole purpose of this bill, isnt it?

Agreed. That is why we have to be extremely careful about the bill that we start with. We need proper debate, instead of ducking on the part of Politicians and chest thumping on the part of activists.

As for calling the hunger strike a blackmail, I disagree. How was it OK or morally right when it was for freedom struggle but not ok when it comes to calling for an effective anti-corruption bill? Isnt that how democracy should work? Its good to see that the government is afraid of the people, not the other way around.

Simple. It was justified in the freedom struggle because at that point the ruling power was not elected by the same people who are protesting. Even though we had a legislature before 1947, it's powers were restricted and it reported to the British govt.

I can understand your concerns about 'prominent members' being appointed into the Lokpal. The 'prominent people' should possess certain qualifications to be on board and should be elected by the local communities. I dont think AR would have that kind of local support.

As I understand, the current version of the Bill which AH is pushing for says that those prominent people should have never ever held a public post before. Clearly a lot of qualified people including retired supreme court judges and civil servants would be disqualified by this criteria.

AR has the same qualifications as AH because in this case we are not talking about 'popular support' since the common man isn't selecting these people.

IIRC, the Lokpal will NOT have the power to disrupt normal functioning of the government. It will have the power to book people accused of corruption, but isnt the whole process subservient to the judiciary? Lokpal isnt goint to be another independent judiciary. Its role would be just to fast track the process of bringing the corrupt to trial, and to create awareness and pressure on the government bodies to ensure that timelines are adhered to.

Powers of this body are a MAJOR stumbling block in achieving consensus between activists and politicians. The activists want the Lokpal to have investigative as well as judicial powers over MPs. Politicians want the Lokpal to only have authority to recommend action, and the speaker to have final authority.

Hello everyone !!

Iam so glad to see how United we all are. Anna is my true Hero!! i attended Candle March on wednesday's night at India gate. we all should be a part of this protest !! Hail Anna Hazare's movement !!

Finally, a sensible article. This was in today's Business Standard:

The Hazare hazard

Social activist Anna Hazare wants an equal number of self-proclaimed civil society activists to be part of an official committee drafting a new Lok Pal Bill. “There should be as many representatives of government as there are of the people” is his submission. Hello? What is a government in a democracy if not an extension of the will of the people? Can self-appointed do-gooders, however well meaning, usurp the role of “representatives of the people” without due process of election? Mr Hazare is a good man. Unfortunately, he is “fasting unto death” for a wrong cause. The idea of a Lok Pal, an anti-corruption ombudsman, based on a Scandinavian model, was a bad one when it was first mooted in the mid-1960s and remains a bad one 40-odd years later. The creation of the institution of a Lok Ayukta at the state level has not helped reduce corruption in state governments, so a new Lok Pal at the national level is unlikely to do a better job at the central government level. The recent experience with the nomination of the Central Vigilance Commissioner shows that it is individuals rather than institutions that matter and there is no guarantee that a Lok Pal will necessarily inspire confidence and be effective. No one will deny that the problem of corruption in high places needs to be dealt with. There is no better way of doing this than strengthening existing institutions of democracy, including the legislature, the judiciary, the executive and even the media. Greater transparency in the functioning of these institutions will reduce corruption in public life. No Lok Pal can do what members of the four estates of the nation cannot and will not do.

It is a pity that despite the obvious shortcomings of this idea, it has been floated repeatedly. Bills have been repeatedly tabled in Parliament and successive governments, comprising almost all political parties in India today, have repeatedly spoken in favour of it, without doing anything about it. Somebody must call a spade a spade. The Lok Pal Bill should be buried, not kept alive by a threat of a fast unto death, even by a well-intentioned person like Mr Hazare.

It is tragic that an assortment of non-accountable activists, publicity-seeking busybodies and an assortment of do-gooders have all managed to push the gentle Mr Hazare into going on a fast unto death. No government in a democracy can approve of such blackmail. Merely because Mahatma Gandhi used a fast unto death as a means of exerting pressure on an alien, colonial government does not mean that in a democracy such tactics can be tolerated, much less eulogised. The situation in which the government finds itself is partly of the ruling party’s own making. By elevating the status of non-government organisations (NGOs) that are not accountable to anyone, and by not activating its own cadres on development and other issues of public concern, the Congress party has given a larger-than-life role to NGO leaders. Nothing should be done, even in the name of fighting corruption, that can weaken the Indian state and the office of the head of government, who is the embodiment of national sovereignty and answerable only to Parliament. If necessary, Mr Hazare should be force-fed and hospitalised, but not allowed to browbeat an elected government of the people.

The Hazare hazard

There is a "Grievous shortcoming" in the basic premise that the article propounds---- the understanding of the basic foundation of Democracy!

In a Democracy, the People are Sovereign. For the sake of convenience and good order; the version of Democracy that has been adopted in India is "Representative Democracy" in the Westminster model.
That is to say that Parliament (or political system) is only representative of the Sovereignty of the People. Which means that the People remain Sovereign at the highest level, while Parliament remains Sovereign at the second level. That is the credo of Democracy. And that is what the article is seeking to negate. Just as the political class has for so many years been trying to push aside genuine concerns of the people at large by using this devious stratagem.

About the part that states that NGOs have had a dodgy reputation and this method will give them too much importance than they require or deserve.
True that every NGO or its members have not been exemplars of what they ought to be. But all said and done, many if not most of them have been good; can we say that about the political class as it exists today?
Clean politician are arguably less than clean NGOs. That said, no NGO has (or will have) as much power as a politician (simply because the system ensures that). So; conceivably they stand to be less of a menace than the politicians. And don't forget that even Gandhi and his movement was a NGO of that time.

Now the bit about: "but not allowed to browbeat an elected government of the people."
This note sounds very familiar to me. I last heard this line thrown around at the time of Indira Gandhi's infamous "Emergency".
What we did to it is a now a matter of history!

The 4 day long fast of anna will end at 10am. Government will give an announcement tommorow. The ends post notification. Anna hazare while speaking said, its the victory of India. Kapil sibal says goverment and people together and the period of uncertinity ended. Sibal also told whatever has to be done will be done before june 30. 50 percent govt representation accepted. Finally its the victory for democracy.

Guys, I am trying to vote but Its not showing me voting option. View Poll Results: Jan Lokapl BillVoters 40. You may not vote on this poll.

Anyway Guys please support Anna Hazare by observing Black Monday. Login | Facebook

The 4 day long fast of anna will end at 10am. Government will give an announcement tommorow. The ends post notification. Anna hazare while speaking said, its the victory of India. Kapil sibal says goverment and people together and the period of uncertinity ended. Sibal also told whatever has to be done will be done before june 30. 50 percent govt representation accepted. Finally its the victory for democracy.

Great news !! thanx for sharing !!Victory of all Indians !!

Great news !! thanx for sharing !!Victory of all Indians !!

Im so happy today. Government finally agreed to the demands set by the people of India.
Its celebration time guys.

Its just the beginning.

"When somebody is fighting corruption, I don't judge his ways. I applaud his intentions and actions. I am with ANNA HAZARE. Are you?:)" tweeted Bollywood actor Anupam Kher.

Back
Top Bottom