What's new

Anka UAV takes to the skies

It was a business transaction. If IAI didn't think that they can deliver what was on the contract, they wouldn't have sign it in the first place.
Weapon trade is far more than just business.

Aselflir E/O pod weights exactly same as MTS-B pod of Reaper. However Reaper (t/o weight 4,760kg) is almost 4 times more heavy than Heron (t/o weight 1,250 kg). Thats how complex was IAI task and eventually they made it.

True unless you take deterrence power of NATO out of equation.
I wonder why Turkey is wasting tens of billions in F-35, air defence, submarines etc then? U should just buy MRAP and machine guns and be happy - NATO protects u. :lol:

Promised upgrades didn't work that well. What's funny with that?
U complain abut systems which everywhere else worked fine.

Weapon trade is far more than just business.

Aselflir E/O pod weights exactly same as MTS-B pod of Reaper. However Reaper (t/o weight 4,760kg) is almost 4 times more heavy than Heron (t/o weight 1,250 kg). Thats how complex was IAI task and eventually they made it.

I wonder why Turkey is wasting tens of billions in F-35, air defence, submarines etc then? U should just buy MRAP and machine guns and be happy - NATO protects u. :lol:

U complain abut systems which everywhere else worked fine.
I'm not denying abilities of IAI. All I am saying is, they didn't deliver what they promised for. That's why delivery schedule was problematic.

And about NATO... PKK was an urgent threat, that's also why Turkey decided to build its own UAV. Under NATO capabilities Turkey could use an AWACS aircraft if such an threat came out of no where. Also our AWACS project also delayed a lot so it's not like TuAF didn't care.

I'm not denying abilities of IAI. All I am saying is, they didn't deliver what they promised for. That's why delivery schedule was problematic.

And about NATO... PKK was an urgent threat, that's also why Turkey decided to build its own UAV. Under NATO capabilities Turkey could use an AWACS aircraft if such an threat came out of no where. Also our AWACS project also delayed a lot so it's not like TuAF didn't care.
As I said before, Turkey operated leased Herons since July 2007 so there was not big rush. Turkey could also buy Predators with US pods, but it would seriously delay the Anka program.

Thnx bro's it's a happy day indeed :)
getassetl.jpg

Turkish Aerospace Indurstry’s (TAI) first MALE (medium altitute-long indurance) class unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) “Anka” completed its maiden flight on December 30, 2010 in Sivrihisar. According to reports by well-placed TRDEFENCE sources, this first flight lasted for 14 minutes and was generally deemed successful.

This much celebrated flight’s one and only mishap, however, apperantly took place during the first actual runway landing of the Anka UAV.

Sources within TAI reported that a sudden and unexpected loss of propulsion, only seconds before touch down of the landing gear, might have subjected the aircraft to more shock than the landing system’s suspension mechanism was designed to handle. Technicians insist that the damage was minor and the flight was still considered a success because the reported near “crash” landing happened within allowed parameters of decend per second.

No critical parts were damaged and the hull of the aircraft, weighting well over a ton, remains intact and capable of further flights.

With the exception of the engine from Germany, Anka was fully designed and manufactured by TAI to meet the Turkish and allied forces’ requirement for strategic reconnaissance capability that require bigger unmanned aircraft that feature heavy payloads and long loiter time over enemy territory.

TAI’s sister company, TEI, is currently working on an indigenous Turkish engine to power the Anka and other similar platforms in the near future.

TAI plans to equip the aircraft by August 2011 with Aselsan’s AselFLIR 300T electrooptics complex for infrared surveillance and mobile target designation capability and a miniature SAR radar developed by the same company. These two instruments will constitute the main standard payload of the aircraft.

Anka is capable of flying at an altitude of 10 kilometers with an endurance of 24 hours, giving the aircraft a superior loiter time beyond the reach of most short to medium altitude defence guns and missiles.

Deliveries to Turkish Armed Forces will start in the first quarter of 2012.

TAI plans to also capitalize on export prospects to certain Caspian and Middle Eastern countries.

TRDEFENCE

On the bright side, that's what tests are for.. :)

so.. why does the lift off look a bit crooked, was the balance off or something ?

so.. why does the lift off look a bit crooked, was the balance off or something ?
FBW system needs calibration I guess. Thats why you need flight tests. If it was so easy to make MALE UAVs everyone were doing it not just few countries.

Back
Top Bottom