What's new

Angola to buy ex Spanish aircraft carrier Príncipe de Asturias?

Angolese navy = 1000 men

This ship requires 243 sea men + 172 air wing.

About 40% men from the navy are required for this ship alone. Not to mention the aircrafts.

None of the present Angolese Navy aircraft are capable of landing / take off from this ship. Hence huge budget.

we will buy brand new ;)

Yeah by this guy's definition a 1000 ton boat will be bought and named as Supercarrier.

Last I checked he qualified a 350 ton patrol boat as large OPV of Bangladesh Navy.

Even Sri Lanka is more suitable to buy this AC And operate it than Angola.

Yeah by this guy's definition a 1000 ton boat will be bought and named as Supercarrier.

Last I checked he qualified a 350 ton patrol boat as large OPV of Bangladesh Navy.
ahahaha ok go make 7,000 ton vessel with 2 guns and call it Destroyer as your parameter of calling vessel's type based on its weight:omghaha:

ahahaha ok go make 7,000 ton vessel with 2 guns and call it Destroyer as your parameter of calling vessel's type based on its weight:omghaha:

Actually the tonnage does go into defining the class of the naval vessel in most cases, unless you're Iran where even a 3000 ton boat becomes a destroyer or a minuscule LST gets re-branded as a LHD.

Actually the tonnage does go into defining the class of the naval vessel in most cases, unless you're Iran where even a 3000 ton boat becomes a destroyer or a minuscule LST gets re-branded as a LHD.

not just tonnage, it is combination of tonnage+ armaments :D

not just tonnage, it is combination of tonnage+ armaments :D

No, not particularly since armaments vary largely. For example Indian and European destroyers in the main focus on ASMs and AD while American destroyers carry about a large magazine of TLAMs in addition to the aforementioned armaments. Armament mix varies by role where you have dedicated AD ships (Type-45) or an Arleigh Burke which is more of a mixed bag.

Tonnage does indeed weigh in heavily on the designation of ship classes along with other structural attributes ( the latter in the case of amphibs and ACs).

As to whether Angola should operate an AC, depends on Angola's security paradigms, and what will compose the AC's airwing since the ship in question is only suitable for carrying VTOL air-crafts (and there aren't many examples of the same). Although the absence of a well-deck rules out any amphibious force projection leaving perhaps limited fleet air-defense on the cards

In that case explain how come a 350 ton Padma is Large OPV?

Armament:
  • 2 x 2 37mm canon;
  • 4 x 20mm AAA guns;
  • Naval Mines
  • MPADS
(will be upgraded with ASM Soon)

Anyway if you so much care about tonnage then Abhay class and Veer-class should not be called as corvette. both are around 450 tonnage LOL

@Dillinger @GR!FF!N

Against congo etc. it will be a massive threat

How come they want to operate an AC without destroyers, or submarines or frigates?

actually,no carrier is piece of junk.it has ski jump facility.buy some Mig-29K,few refurbishment and voila,a floating runway in the sea to scare hell out of your enemy.though,don't know if Mig-29K can be take off from it,due to smaller runway and 12 degree ski.Viky has 14.3 degree..

but I think they're better off if they buy frigates and submarines instead.but if they have the cash,then no problem to acquire it.remember,even Thailand operates Aircraft Carrier for one and decades now,coincidentally same class.these ships cost around 350 miliion dollars,so second hand means some 150-200 million.not too much costly.

From what I heated, Spain's naval industry sucks. Another thing is what you stated earlier is that how come they want to operate an AC without having enough power to protect it.

Not anymore...everything they have are being shelfed or looking for a taker. They were rumors that a MENA country was interested in acquiring it. Egypt or Saudi Arabia?

One man junk, is another's treasure ...Rumors cited KSA or Egypt as possible end users...

I don't think that the Saudi Navy is interested in such equipment. They surely need to procure submarines though.

Its not an AC actually. Its LHD.
Whatever it might be bro, Angola should not dream big.

Whatever it might be bro, Angola should not dream big.

Its a rumor. Thats what I am trying to say from beginning. They neither have funds, nor manpower nor equipment for this.

I don't think that the Saudi Navy is interested in such equipment. They surely need to procure submarines though.

Yeah every now and then the Saudi's must keep European economy alive by buying expensive toys that are useless to them.

How come they want to operate an AC without destroyers, or submarines or frigates?

From what I heated, Spain's naval industry sucks. Another thing is what you stated earlier is that how come they want to operate an AC without having enough power to protect it.

Dede, depends upon their target sphere of influence. I don't think you need destroyers etc. to face congo.

Fair enough. Please try to tone down a little bit, we only are discussing the matter regardless on reality on the ground.

Its a rumor. Thats what I am trying to say from beginning. They neither have funds, nor manpower nor equipment for this.

Yeah every now and then the Saudi's must keep European economy alive by buying expensive toys that are useless to them.

Expensive useless toys? :woot:

A country like KSA needs to enhance its own self-defensive capability in the most volatile in the world. Isn't that right @GR!FF!N & @boomslang ?

Back
Top Bottom