What's new

Ancient History not Appreciated by Pakistanis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why the history curriculum is so flawed in Pakistan. Year after year after year students are made to cram the same dull facts and dates and then recreate them on paper. What can be expected with this kind of education? It all starts with the arrival of the Brits, mentions the Mughals, but is mostly focussed on on post 1900 history.

Why aren't our students taught the rich history before that time? Our history textbooks should start from as far back as Mehrgarh (7000 BC). The Indo-Greek empire was a very interesting as well, but I had never heard of it until I stumbled upon the article on Wikipedia.

That history is beginning to be taught - the MMA threw a fit over it. It is sad that so many generations missed out on knowing the ancient peoples and civilizations that make up current Pakistan, but nonetheless it is being corrected.

The Katsaraj Temples were built around 600 BC in Pakistan. This means they could not have been Hindu temples, since Hinduism originated elsewhere much later. Hamayun, the monkey God, is not mentioned in the Rig Veda. He is mentioned in poetry much later than 600 BC. If there is a "Hamayun Temple", then it was added on later to this clearly Vedic temple (it would have to be Vedic if it was built in 600 BC. ) It must have started out Vedic, then some of the Punjabi Hindu worshippers must have extended it and renamed it. So yes, it might have been re-structured into a Hindu temple, but it wasn't one originally.

Oh, and did we forget the Shiva temple?

This has been a very informative thread, as have the recent back and forth posts.

Lets please refrain from impolite remarks about ones "credentials to debate". One does not have to be an expert in a particular field to participate in a discussion. If you believe any information being presented is incorrect, a simple rebuttal with support is enough. If a poster clarifies the context and meaning of a remark understood by others to convey something different than intentioned, then there is no need to continue to push the issue.

"All that kill, eat and permit the killing of cows rot in hell for as many years as there are hairs on the body of the cow so slain"
"Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah"

Do you still deny that Hinduism does not allow the killing or eating of cows in its holiest scriptures?

Do you still want the Vedic (Rig) scriptures that permit cow eating and slaughter?

All this proves that Vedism and Hinduism were two totally different religions. You cannot have such contradictions in a religion or a philosophy.

Lol...Hinduism is all contradiction to those who don't understand what makes it tick!!

A look at the picture below should help you out!!

Lets look at it this way:

A monotheistic alien lands in the USA, and tries to understand the "religion" of the Americans from his own perspective of rigid rules and laws.
But what he sees completely shocks him!!

On one hand, he sees the Christians worshipping Jesus and following all these laws. On the other hand he sees all these other people who seem to follow none of the christian rules at all.
He looks at the mass media and gets completely confused by the seemingly contradictory views being expressed all the time.
Then he looks that the universities and they seem to follow some religion of their own...concerned with daily ritual gatherings in "lecture halls".

He watches a raunchy american music video and decides that this must be a part of their religion, but then he chances on an Amish community who refuse even electricity and running water, forget about exposing their bodies.
He sees pictures of Elvis everywhere, and decides that this must be one of their gods.

Basically, all the western/Islamic attempts to understand hinduism in the past have been flawed because they looked at it from their own rigid monotheistic glasses.
What they didn't realize that this was a completely different world with a variety of different ideas floating about, and there was no "religion" as such which applied to one and all.

Man, your hinduism theories are hilarious.

Hinduism evolved from Vedic religion into the present one. There is no clear boundary line that says "This is where Vedism ends and hinduism begins"

The relationship between Hinduism and Vedism is like that between Judaism and Christianity, or even between Islam and Christianity. Some aspects of Vedism do exist in Hinduism, but there are clear differences, even contradictions, in much the same can describe the relationship between Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. However, I doubt anyone would classify Judaism, Christianity or Islam as the same religions.

All you are trying to do is brand Vedic religion as "anything but hinduism", in order to dissociate Pakistan's history from hindus.

I'm not trying to do anything, just stating undeniable facts under all shades of neutrality.

Also, it doesn't matter what the site was in 600 BC. At the time of partition, the site contained hindu and buddhist temples, which were abandoned.

I don't disagree with this point of yours. I'd need to research Katsiraj more. But if Katsiraj was built in 600 BC, it was undoubtedly Vedic, not Hindu.

P.S>. Its Hanuman, not Hamayun.

I see :)

Oh, and did we forget the Shiva temple?

The Shiva Temple was probably added on later. Shiva was a villainous God around 600 BC, so noone would have devoted a temple to him. When Hinduism arose from the Ganges, Shiva became the saviour of the Dravidians. I suspect the Shiva Temple is a very recent addition by some Punjabi Hindus who probably have migrated to India by now.

The relationship between Hinduism and Vedism is like that between Judaism and Christianity, or even between Islam and Christianity. Some aspects of Vedism do exist in Hinduism, but there are clear differences, even contradictions, in much the same can describe the relationship between Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. However, I doubt anyone would classify Judaism, Christianity or Islam as the same religions.

That is where you are wrong.

There is a very sharp dividing line between Christianity and Islam.

That dividing line occurs with the arrival of Muhammed.

Hinduism is not a revealed religion. It is a natural religion, and I might add, one of the world's last surviving ones.

If you can point out to me exactly in which year Hindus started ignoring Indra and began to worship Ganesha, please do so.

Otherwise, It is better to learn a bit more about how each of the important hindu deities, prinicipally Shiva, Rama, Krishna, Hanuman, Ganesh, Kali, Saraswati, Durga, Vishnu etc. evolved from their earliest forms to the present ones.

Trust me, it will be quite fascinating.

I don't disagree with this point of yours. I'd need to research Katsiraj more. But if Katsiraj was built in 600 BC, it was undoubtedly Vedic, not Hindu.

Well according to wikipedia, the earliest surviving temple dates from 6th century AD.

According to this blogsite, the plaque outside the temples reads:

Katas: Kohistan Mountains, Central Chakwal --- according to the legend of the Mahabharata, when Lord Shiva lost his wife Parvati, he felt so upset that the ponds at the eastern and western ends of the temple got filled by his tears. In Sanskrit it is also known as 'Katak Sheel' which means flow of tears. Later on the name got twisted to 'Katas'. The place is of great significance for the Brahmins.

Also written in the blog:

Even Al-Bairuni wrote an interesting history of the temple in his 'Kitab-ul-Hind' where he depicts that he learnt Sanskrit and science at Katas. Not only this, quite interestingly, he even learnt many Vedic traditions. Renowned historian Panikkar states that 'Kitab-ul-Hind' brings a very honest and first-hand account of history at that time. It is also mentioned in Bairuni's book that Katas happened to be the most revered Mandir after Punjab's Jwalamukhi Mandir. This fact is also confirmed by Liaqat Ali Khan Niyazi, the Deputy Commissioner of Chakwal. Al-Bairuni also mentioned about other Pakistani temples like Panch Mukhi ka Hanuman Mandir, Nagnath Baba Mandir and Darya Lal Mandir.

I am not sure whether I will be able to verify these things better. Perhaps a look at the "kitab-ul-hind" itself should clarify things.

Needless to say, the temple is in a pretty bad shape, and has been looted of its paintings and idols long time ago. I'm glad that Pakistan govt. has finally decided to do something before the structures disappear altogether.

The Shiva Temple was probably added on later. Shiva was a villainous God around 600 BC, so noone would have devoted a temple to him. When Hinduism arose from the Ganges, Shiva became the saviour of the Dravidians. I suspect the Shiva Temple is a very recent addition by some Punjabi Hindus who probably have migrated to India by now.

Well, here is what i know about Shiva:

He is worshipped by practically all hindus as one of their gods.

He evolved from a Rigvedic deity called "Rudra". Even today, "Rudra" is one of Shiva's 108 names.

I think he first appears in the puranas, however, his evolution from Rudra is obscure. More likely, he is a composite deity formed by the Rigvedic Rudra and some other deities.

His other major name is Shankar, which means "benificient" , denoting his positive aspects.

Additionally, he appears as Natraja, or the lord of the dance, and is worshipped by Hindu dancers.

In one of his forms he is an asetic sage, and in another he is depicted with a wife Parvati and son Ganesha....both coexisting (paradox alert)

He has been called Agni, Indra, Vayu and Prajapati and they are also among his names....probably his personality borrows heavily from these deities.

That is all I can remember offhand....

I"m not sure about the "Savior of the Dravidians" part....

Also I didn't get what you mean by "villanous".

Also, yes, the Katasraj Temple was abandoned during partition, and crumbled to its present state.

Oh, and I remember an interesting Vedic Rock song with some sanskrit lyrics:\

(purists will fume at this video...because a "tandav" is supposed to be a very refined dance...not the random jumping and flailing depicted here)

7xVFgCjJm44[/media] - Indian Vedic Rock: Agnee (Agni) - Mrityunjaya - Tandav

...and he was mentioned in a recent hollywood movie "Michael Clayton".
This guy says "I am Shiva...god of death"....which isn't actually correct since its not really "death" but "destroyer" and "bringer of change", but nevertheless...

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the reasons that people don't understand hinduism is because its roots and evolution is plain for all to see.

Christianity on the other hand, has done well to hide its pagan past, so it appears a lot more "logical" on the surface.

If you dig deeper, you will find that even the so called "revealed" religions have their own long line of ancestors.

That is where you are wrong.

There is a very sharp dividing line between Christianity and Islam.

That dividing line occurs with the arrival of Muhammed.

You obviously don't know enough about Islam or Christianity. Islam considers Christianity to be the same..they are "people of the book", but this of course refers to the original Bible (which Muslims believe to be the same as the Qu'ran). You can see that there would much overlap between Islam and Christianity, but for those parts which Muslims believe have been changed from the original Bible. Examples on similarities between Christianity and Islam, or the Bible and Qu'ran are shown

Islam and Christianity - Similarities and Differences

There are plenty more similarities (and differnces), so both Islam and Christianity share some beliefs, just as Vedism and Hinduism share some beliefs. However, Islam and Christianity are considered as separate religions, just as Vedism and Hinduism are considered separate religions by any logical thinker.

Hinduism is not a revealed religion. It is a natural religion, and I might add, one of the world's last surviving ones.

Hinduism is a very recent religion.

If you can point out to me exactly in which year Hindus started ignoring Indra and began to worship Ganesha, please do so.

My opinion is when Hindu beliefs contradict previous books, THEN this is no longer Hinduism. I believe by the time of the Mahabharata and even the Yajur Vedic times and so on, beliefs had already contradicted the Rig Veda. The Dravidians from the Yajur Veda, Mahabharata etc, villified Indra, defeated and humiliated him at the hands of the Dravidian Gods..This would never have happened in the Rig Veda where Indra and Agni reigned supreme. Therefore they are different religions. Let's call them Rig Vedism and Hinduism.

Well according to wikipedia, the earliest surviving temple dates from 6th century AD.

According to this blogsite, the plaque outside the temples reads:

Katas: Kohistan Mountains, Central Chakwal --- according to the legend of the Mahabharata, when Lord Shiva lost his wife Parvati, he felt so upset that the ponds at the eastern and western ends of the temple got filled by his tears. In Sanskrit it is also known as 'Katak Sheel' which means flow of tears. Later on the name got twisted to 'Katas'. The place is of great significance for the Brahmins.

Also written in the blog:

Even Al-Bairuni wrote an interesting history of the temple in his 'Kitab-ul-Hind' where he depicts that he learnt Sanskrit and science at Katas. Not only this, quite interestingly, he even learnt many Vedic traditions. Renowned historian Panikkar states that 'Kitab-ul-Hind' brings a very honest and first-hand account of history at that time. It is also mentioned in Bairuni's book that Katas happened to be the most revered Mandir after Punjab's Jwalamukhi Mandir. This fact is also confirmed by Liaqat Ali Khan Niyazi, the Deputy Commissioner of Chakwal. Al-Bairuni also mentioned about other Pakistani temples like Panch Mukhi ka Hanuman Mandir, Nagnath Baba Mandir and Darya Lal Mandir.

I am not sure whether I will be able to verify these things better. Perhaps a look at the "kitab-ul-hind" itself should clarify things.

Needless to say, the temple is in a pretty bad shape, and has been looted of its paintings and idols long time ago. I'm glad that Pakistan govt. has finally decided to do something before the structures disappear altogether.

So? My point is that in 600 BC, the Katiraj Temples were Vedic, because there was no Shiva worshipping then. Some Hindus have added these temples on later and even this plaque. Incidentally Al-Beruni quoted Brahmagupta as born in Multan too.

You obviously don't know enough about Islam or Christianity. Islam considers Christianity to be the same..they are "people of the book", but this of course refers to the original Bible (which Muslims believe to be the same as the Qu'ran). You can see that there would much overlap between Islam and Christianity, but for those parts which Muslims believe have been changed from the original Bible. Examples on similarities between Christianity and Islam, or the Bible and Qu'ran are shown

Islam and Christianity - Similarities and Differences

Oh trust me, I know enough.

Is that why Muslims and Christians hate each other? Because they are so similar?

Look, it is well know that the Quran is a modified version of the bible with some additions.

The point is, that Islam chose to separate itself from Christianity and the other pagan religions from which it derived its practices.

Both Christianity and Islam are loathe to delve into their past.

This is how the line is drawn....by dogma.

There are plenty more similarities (and differnces), so both Islam and Christianity share some beliefs, just as Vedism and Hinduism share some beliefs. However, Islam and Christianity are considered as separate religions, just as Vedism and Hinduism are considered separate religions by any logical thinker.

I don't know of any logical thinker who considers Hinduism and Vedism separate.

Please, do name the prophet of Hinduism and in which year he appeared.

My opinion is when Hindu beliefs contradict previous books, THEN this is no longer Hinduism.

Lol, in that case you will have to name a new hinduism every 100 years!!

I guess you still haven't understood the nature of hinduism as ever changing, both over time, and from person to person.

I believe by the time of the Mahabharata and even the Yajur Vedic times and so on, beliefs had already contradicted the Rig Veda.

...and which year would that be?

Would the coming of the Adi Shankaracharya also mean that Hinduism changed and therfore was no longer Hinduism?

Would the Bhakti movement also indicate that Hinduism can no longer be called by that name?

You have just taken one change, and drawn a line across it. What about the numerous other changes that hinduism underwent till this date?

What about the numerous regional variations in hinduism?

Also, let me remind you that the Vedas are still the most important books in Hinduism. Only, their interpretations might have changed over time.

The Dravidians from the Yajur Veda, Mahabharata etc, villified Indra, defeated and humiliated him at the hands of the Dravidian Gods..This would never have happened in the Rig Veda where Indra and Agni reigned supreme. Therefore they are different religions. Let's call them Rig Vedism and Hinduism.

Can you clarify that? With a link?

So? My point is that in 600 BC, the Katiraj Temples were Vedic, because there was no Shiva worshipping then. Some Hindus have added these temples on later and even this plaque. Incidentally Al-Beruni quoted Brahmagupta as born in Multan too.

As far as I know, the temples were first built in 600AD not BC....please give me a link.

The Plaque was added by the Archaeological Survey of Pakistan apparently.

Also, Al-Beruni, if I remember correctly, described Brahmagupta as being born in Bhinmal. (Wasn't that debate over?)

Oh trust me, I know enough.

Is that why Muslims and Christians hate each other? Because they are so similar?

Good God, I'm not saying they're very similar. That's my whole point! They're different religions because they have SOME different beliefs, but there are also SOME similar beliefs, just as in Vedism there are SOME different beliefs, and SOME similar beliefs to Hinduism. Do you see the point now?

Look, it is well know that the Quran is a modified version of the bible with some additions.

The point is, that Islam chose to separate itself from Christianity and the other pagan religions from which it derived its practices.

Christianity is not a pagan religion, but Islam just is not Christianity because there are a different set of beliefs. Vedism is not Hindusm because there are a different set of core beliefs. Look at it like this if you want to consider "religious evolution".

Islam + Original Christianity = Same

Original Christianity evolves into modern Christianity.

Modern Christianity (evolved) + Islam = Different religions now.

Evolution that changes a religion makes it into a different religion, when the doctrines presented in those religions begin to contradict the other one, or the basic tenets differ. This has happened for Hinduism and Vedism.

Both Christianity and Islam are loathe to delve into their past.

This is how the line is drawn....by dogma.

Not sure what you mean.

I don't know of any logical thinker who considers Hinduism and Vedism separate.

Please, do name the prophet of Hinduism and in which year he appeared.

Each of your books was written by a sage.

Lol, in that case you will have to name a new hinduism every 100 years!!

I guess you still haven't understood the nature of hinduism as ever changing, both over time, and from person to person.

I don't think you understand the logic of what you're proposing here. You're saying that any belief system in history can be classified as Hinduism. This is nonsense. There is only one way to describe a belief system..Either as a belief system or as a religion. You cannot call it Hinduism, because Hinduism is a set of beliefs as written down in the Mahabharata and various books. For example, a Hindu must believe that the sons of Pandu and Dhrishtrava battled it out for Bharat at the City of Elephants. These are Hindu beliefs, none of which are Islamic beliefs or Christian beliefs. Therefore you cannot apply Hinduism to just any religion. There is a boundary. The obvious boundary that Hinduism crosses is when Indra becomes relegated to a defeated God, at the mercy of the Dravidian Gods, when he reigned supreme under Vedic beliefs. If one religion has an all powerful God, how can this be the same as another set of beliefs that has him being beaten by other Gods? Obviously he is not not all powerful. This is because Vedism and Hinduism are separate religions.

...and which year would that be?

Sometime after the Rig Veda and before the Mahabharata.

Would the coming of the Adi Shankaracharya also mean that Hinduism changed and therfore was no longer Hinduism?

Only if the Hindu Gods became irrelevant.

Would the Bhakti movement also indicate that Hinduism can no longer be called by that name?

You have just taken one change, and drawn a line across it. What about the numerous other changes that hinduism underwent till this date?

What about the numerous regional variations in hinduism?

Also, let me remind you that the Vedas are still the most important books in Hinduism. Only, their interpretations might have changed over time.

The Vedas are only Hindu by name according to the priests. They form a separate religion. The Rig Veda especially.

Can you clarify that? With a link?

One example

When the dreadful battle rose to a high pitch causing horripilation, Vritra became very angry and suddenly caught hold of Indra and denuding him of all clothes and armours swallowed him; he, then, remembering his former enmity, became very glad and stayed there. When Indra was thus devoured by Vritra, the Devas were overwhelmed with terror and cried out frequently, with great distress :-- “O Indra! O Indra!” All the Devas became very dejected and grieved in their hearts to see Indra denuded of his armour and clothes in the belly of Vritra and bowed down to Brihaspati and said :-- “O Indra of the Brâhmans! You are our best Guru what are we to do now? Though the gods tried their best to save Indra still Vritra has devoured him. We are all powerless, what can we do without Indra?
The Devi Bhagavatam: The Sixth Book: Chapter 4

Other examples

“The Formless Supreme Spirit that pervades the universe can have no material representation, likeness or image.” .. Yajur Veda 32:3.

The beef eating verses in the Rig Veda, but the ban on beef eating later is another example + plenty more.

As far as I know, the temples were first built in 600AD not BC....please give me a link.

A Hindu Indian link
Apart from the 600 BC temples, which are in a dilapidated condition, there is a sacred pool with mythical association with Lord Shiva
Hindu temple in Pakistan to get a make-over « Hindu Mommy

The Plaque was added by the Archaeological Survey of Pakistan apparently.

It might very well have had a Shiva story to one temple built later on, but not the original complex, because Shiva was not around at that time in a worshipable state anyway.

Good God, I'm not saying they're very similar. That's my whole point! They're different religions because they have SOME different beliefs, but there are also SOME similar beliefs, just as in Vedism there are SOME different beliefs, and SOME similar beliefs to Hinduism. Do you see the point now?

Look, the nature of Monotheism and Hinduism are fundamentally different.

In Hinduism, change is gradual, and very accomodative of new streams of thought.

in Monotheism, change occurs suddenly, with the arrival of a prophet, and the new religion removes all traces of the old one.

Here is a nice quote:

With the coming of the Muslims, the peoples of India encountered for the
first time a large-scale influx of bearers of a civilization as sophisticated,
if not as ancient, as their own. They were also confronted by a religious
system that was in many ways the very opposite of their own. Hinduism (the
predominant Indian religion at that time) was open, tolerant, and inclusive of
widely varying forms of religious devotion - from idol worship to meditation -
in search of union with the supernatural source of all creation. Islam was
doctrinaire, proselytizing, and committed to the exclusive worship of a
single, transcendent God.

Islam, The Coming Of Islam To South Asia

Christianity is not a pagan religion, but Islam just is not Christianity because there are a different set of beliefs. Vedism is not Hindusm because there are a different set of core beliefs. Look at it like this if you want to consider "religious evolution".

Look, you have already made your first mistake by defining Hinduism on the lines of a rigid monotheism.
Hinduism isn't like that. Its a compilation of varied beliefs.

I didn't say that Christianity is a pagan religion, I'm saying that it has borrowed a lot of stuff from the preexisting pagan religions.

Now, Hinduism doesn't even have a set of core beliefs. You name a belief, and I"ll name a sect which doesn't follow it.

The fact is that Classical Hinduism evolved from Vedism gradually, over a long period of time. Some beliefs/rituals were retained and some were forgotten, and some new ones were added.

Similarly, Classical hinduism changed its form several times before arriving at its present state.

I quoted two major changes earlier...the Adi Shankaracharya and the Bhakti Movement.

The more recent changes are the reform movements of the 18th century.

Until and Unless Hinduism uniformly discards the Rigveda as "un-hindu", all interpretations of the Rigveda, past and present, must be considered hindu.

Islam + Original Christianity = Same

Which original christianity? I'm not sure...could you be more specific?

Original Christianity evolves into modern Christianity.

Modern Christianity (evolved) + Islam = Different religions now.

As far as I am concerned, Islam was created by Muhammed who claimed to be a prophet. He modified the bible and added some new material.

Then, he named his religion Islam.

Now, Islam and Christianity are different because they choose to be different.

They have a different history, and have influenced different parts of the world.

On the other hand, Hinduism is just an evolved form of the original Vedism. There is no conflict between the two, and even today, some isolated communities of the original have survived.
The holy books used are exactly same...with little or no modification.

Evolution that changes a religion makes it into a different religion, when the doctrines presented in those religions begin to contradict the other one, or the basic tenets differ. This has happened for Hinduism and Vedism.

Which basic tenets? Hinduism has no basic tenets.

Here's a quote from wikipedia:

Hinduism is an extremely diverse religion. Although some tenets of the faith are accepted by most Hindus, scholars have found it difficult to identify any doctrines with universal acceptance among all denominations.[12] Prominent themes in Hindu beliefs include Dharma (ethics/duties), Samsāra (The continuing cycle of birth, life, death and rebirth), Karma (action and subsequent reaction), Moksha (liberation from samsara), and the various Yogas (paths or practices).

The very nature of Hinduism is to absorb contradictory beliefs.

Not sure what you mean.

What I mean is, that Hinduism rarely has prophets. It more often has gurus, who persuade people to change their beliefs by convincing them.

On the other hand, Monotheism always needs a prophet, who then denounces and denies that his religion had any roots in earlier beliefs.
The new religion becomes the only religion, and the true religion.
Try telling a devout Christian that Christmas was celebrated by his pagan ancestors in a similar fashion. He will refuse to accept it.
But a devout Hindu will acknowledge that his religion has changed.

This is because Hinduism is a bottom-up approach. It is man's effort to understand the universe.

Whereas Christianity/Islam is top-down: God himself came and said "this is who I am and that is my religion".

Each of your books was written by a sage.

A sage mind you, not a prophet.

Even so, most books haven't changed.

What has changed is their interpretation. Men have interpreted these books differently. Thats all.

I don't think you understand the logic of what you're proposing here. You're saying that any belief system in history can be classified as Hinduism.

I am saying that the Vedic religion is nothing but an early form of Hinduism.

This is nonsense. There is only one way to describe a belief system..Either as a belief system or as a religion. You cannot call it Hinduism, because Hinduism is a set of beliefs as written down in the Mahabharata and various books. For example, a Hindu must believe that the sons of Pandu and Dhrishtrava battled it out for Bharat at the City of Elephants. These are Hindu beliefs, none of which are Islamic beliefs or Christian beliefs. Therefore you cannot apply Hinduism to just any religion. There is a boundary. The obvious boundary that Hinduism crosses is when Indra becomes relegated to a defeated God, at the mercy of the Dravidian Gods, when he reigned supreme under Vedic beliefs. If one religion has an all powerful God, how can this be the same as another set of beliefs that has him being beaten by other Gods? Obviously he is not not all powerful. This is because Vedism and Hinduism are separate religions.

Dude, if you place an Indra statue in front of a hindu today, he will pray to it.
On the other hand, if you place a Christ statue in front of a muslim, he won't pray to it.
That is the difference.
Indra is still regarded as a hindu god, even though he is not popular for worship.
Indian traditional dances/art forms still depict Indra.
Rigvedic Hyms that invoke indra are still chanted in rituals.

Here are photos of Indra idols in Hindu temples:

Lord Indra at Baroda:
5204df8bff6f3ac82d85fc2bf35232b6.jpg

Indra and his consort, the elephant:
4854880fb99221a0d15246f13ac71b09.jpg

Indra at Pushkar:
e17d5bd4b3bb8025e352f984de2adb35.jpg

Gods defeat other gods in Hinduism all the time!! Try reading up on various other god-on-god battles.
Different gods are more powerful or less powerful depending on your hindu sect.

What about Vishnu? Isn't Vishnu still worshipped, even though he is in the Rigveda?
What about Saraswati?

Only if the Hindu Gods became irrelevant.

...its not just about which gods you worship....there are innumerable details involved.

The Vedas are only Hindu by name according to the priests. They form a separate religion. The Rig Veda especially.

Then why are Rigvedic mantras still so popular if they are part of a different religion?

Do Christians recite the quran?

Look, the nature of Monotheism and Hinduism are fundamentally different.

In Hinduism, change is gradual, and very accomodative of new streams of thought.

in Monotheism, change occurs suddenly, with the arrival of a prophet, and the new religion removes all traces of the old one.

Here is a nice quote:

With the coming of the Muslims, the peoples of India encountered for the
first time a large-scale influx of bearers of a civilization as sophisticated,
if not as ancient, as their own. They were also confronted by a religious
system that was in many ways the very opposite of their own. Hinduism (the
predominant Indian religion at that time) was open, tolerant, and inclusive of
widely varying forms of religious devotion - from idol worship to meditation -
in search of union with the supernatural source of all creation. Islam was
doctrinaire, proselytizing, and committed to the exclusive worship of a
single, transcendent God.

Islam, The Coming Of Islam To South Asia

When one religious concept changes and contradicts the previous one, then the religion itself is not the same. To call it the same religion is disingenuous.

If I write down a theory that proves the moon is made out of cheese and call it RR's theory, then someone else writes down a theory that proves the moon is made out of anorthositic rock and calls it RR's theory again, then you have one name meaning different things. If you discard the original RR's theory (the cheese one), then you can legitimately use the second name for the anorthositic rock theory. But not same name for two different theories unless you change the first one.

Likewise you cannot say Rig Vedism is Hinduism when Vedism directly contradicts later Hindu holy books. Either those books are Hinduism, or Rig Vedism is Hinduism. Since Hindus generally do not follow Rig Vedic philosophy (see cow killing, monotheistic worship, non-casteism etc), Rig Vedism cannot be described as Hinduism.

Salam

It is nice to see that the Pakis are very keen to know more about the history. And do know the facts.

As far as the Indian History is concern, I believe if we call it South Asian Civilisation, in this case it would be more appropriate. And that is another case if Indians are not willing to do so.

First of all, I would like to ask a question from our Indian friends in this forum. Why do you give that much importance to Ashoka's Empire ???

You must admit that you were nothing, never in your known history. This is us, the Muslims, who united you for the first time in the history and keep you united for more than 1000 years ?

Let me give you a little overview of Ashok's so called empire.

After Alexander went back to Babylon in 324 BC, a man named Chandragupta was able to overthrow the old Aryan kingdom of Nanda and form a big new empire over all of northern India and into Afghanistan. When people asked him how he had done it, he said (according to Greek historians) that he got the idea from Alexander. Chandragupta conquered the Indus valley back from the Greeks and as part of the peace treaty he married the daughter of Seleucus, who had succeeded Alexander, and gave Seleucus 200 elephants

Chandragupta died in 298 BC and was succeeded by his son Bindusara. Bindusara's son Ashoka made the Mauryan Empire even stronger, ruling some of southern India as well as the north

But Ashoka's victories at Orissa were so bloody and awful, that (at least according to tradition) after that battle he gave up warfare for the rest of his life. Ashoka converted from traditional Indian Hinduism to the new faith of Buddhism, and he used his power to convince millions of other people to convert to Buddhism too, all over Central Asia

After Ashoka died in 231 BC, though, his sons and grandsons were not as strong rulers as he was, and the Mauryan Empire gradually fell apart

And from the above, you can easily understand that the Ashoka converted to buddhist and this is not it. But he also did great service to budhism. Infact, he spread budhism all over India and send delegations to neighbouring countries too. So If you say that Ashoka Empire was Hindu empire. THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Secondly, how long this empire exist. 30 years. And another question is that this empire was established by his grand father. So why you Indians do not start counting that empire from there.

Another question is that immediatly before the Ashoka's empire, there was another empire, Nanda Empire. The empire which was concoured by Ashoka's grandpa. Why you don't count that one your great empire, probably that is because the nanda empire was half of what ashoka establised ?

And was the nanda empire also a hindu empire.

How Ashoka's grandpa managed to conqour that big empire all at once. What history told you about this.

Is this the defination of empire in your school books that empire exists only for 3 decades ?

Is this the defination of empire you have taught by your history gurus that the empire consisit of just one region, the south asia ?

Do you found yourself comfortable while comparing this 30 year empire with the one, we saw in Europe or with the Muslim Empire.

Thanks for your guidence

Pakistan Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom