What's new

An Artist in Exile Tests India’s Democratic Ideals

Ohhh...you're good! :yahoo:
There's no liberal view nor multiple interpretations to the basics of Islam, paintings or statues are not allowed. Period!

Fact: Paintings of Muhammad were common during the early years of Islam.

Fact: There are several surviving paintings of Muhammad from the Ottoman empire.

Fact: In Iran, it is obviously not a taboo to depict Muhammad pictorially.

So, where are your basics now, Neo?

What support are you talking about? The guy is in exile! :what:

Self-imposed exile. He's simply an expatriate.

There's no liberal view nor multiple interpretations to the basics of Islam, paintings or statues are not allowed. Period!

Its a Self-exile. He was summoned to court and he didn't even come to attend court. He fought through his lawyers.

Iranians are muslims, aren't they?

Yes...as a matter of fact its a very moderate and secular society. Still islamic laws are respected strictly by the Shiah majority in this country, which brings ne back to my remark about the scholars. :coffee:

Yes...as a matter of fact its a very moderate and secular society. Still islamic laws are respected strictly by the Shiah majority in this country, which brings ne back to my remark about the scholars. :coffee:

Really? Moderate, and secular?

Comeon. Even the most optimistic Iran-apologist will not dare describe the country as "secular".

In any case, the fact remains is that religious scholars do not consider it blasphemy to draw an image of Muhammed. Its quite obvious, because the painting was unveiled by the government of a provincial city, and depicted Muhammad's ascension to heaven.
Anybody with elementary knowledge about Iran knows that no piece of text or art can be unveiled without prior approval from religious authorities (aka the government).

I tried to get around the term Hypocrite but you forced me to use it,
You earlier did not think when you said its against islamic teachings now when pointed with a source you now go back to interpretation by scholars, now you change and say paintings not allowed what does this remind me of something Chameleon?

The guy went into exile on his own, He had support of Govt and Courts and other fellow artiste. Now imagine India tried to stop him wouldn't you question democracy ?

Now just imagine "Can any one paint their God" as such they already seemed to have allowed. Or can one paint for only Iranian consumption ?

I tried to get around the term Hypocrite but you forced me to use it,
You earlier did not think when you said its against islamic teachings now when pointed with a source you now go back to interpretation by scholars, now you change and say paintings not allowed what does this remind me of something Chameleon?
Read my first sentence, I consider it wrong!

The guy went into exile on his own, He had support of Govt and Courts and other fellow artiste. Now imagine India tried to stop him wouldn't you question democracy ?
Why did he go in self imposed exile? Fear for life? :what:

That's a completely arbitrary rule you've put up there.

I believe that there are certain rules and regulations that govern the construction of a mosque, or the printing of a quran. If we extend your idea to both the holy book and building, are we to believe that people are free to print whatever they wish and pass it off as a quran or build whatever they wish and pass it off as a mosque?

The point is that just like the text of the quran is sacred, so is the image of the hindu deity. There are rules for manufacturing both.

obviously, the Bhaarati supreme court doesn't share your view...why don't you bang against the wall that is your own secular establshment.

Read my first sentence, I consider it wrong!

No comments.

Why did he go in self imposed exile? Fear for life? :what:

The same reason why Taslima nasreen is in India but fortunately Hussain has support of Govt and Courts and other liberal people. No one from her country considers plight of Nasreen.

I agree with most of what he says, expect for the part that I will not tolerate if somebody offends my sentiments. Simple. He is entitled to his opinion.

His statement is stupid, because we are born naked but we don't roam around naked. So, if somebody paints his naked picture and sells in the street (or even on net), will he be happy?.

Will you be banning the baths at sangam, at the kumbh mela too? and let's ban all the naked gurus, rishis, sanyaasis, sufis, jain monks too.

Fact: Paintings of Muhammad were common during the early years of Islam.

Fact: There are several surviving paintings of Muhammad from the Ottoman empire.

Fact: In Iran, it is obviously not a taboo to depict Muhammad pictorially.

So, where are your basics now, Neo?

Self-imposed exile. He's simply an expatriate.

None of these are facts. In fact, most people who are not of the shiite muslim persuasion would be shocked and offended at depictions of the prophet.

Will you be banning the baths at sangam, at the kumbh mela too? and let's ban all the naked gurus, rishis, sanyaasis, sufis, jain monks too.

Only if a muslim starts to paint them or draw sketches. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom