What's new

An Artist in Exile Tests India’s Democratic Ideals

The highbrow correctionists of Hindu behaviour have positioned themselves as certifiers of an acceptable norm in their vision of a secular India. They are busy in the old Communist jihadi practices of enlisting, delisting and blacklisting. Their reactions to a different view show it all. :coffee:

Be prepared to attract the wrath of people whose sentiments were hurt. It was not that hussain was not aware that it will not create the controversy rather he did it to attract publicity at the expense of sentiments of particular religion. GoI and courts just for the sake of Secularism is supporting Hussain.

Be prepared to attract the wrath of people whose sentiments were hurt. It was not that hussain was not aware that it will not create the controversy rather he did it to attract publicity at the expense of sentiments of particular religion. GoI and courts just for the sake of Secularism is supporting Hussain.

Attracting the wrath is fine as long as the wrath does not involve breaking the law by vandalizing art-shows or attacking the artist.

Secularism, with all due respect, is the biggest "sake". It is more important than any religious sensibilities.

So, what change you want to have here?

If India is a secular and democratic society, why are we having issues with the work of an artist? Doesn't a true democay grant rights to all levels of the society?

I agree with this reaction I came accross. Its from a Hindu blogger:

I do not find anything offending here as my respect for a religion or God is not dependent on whether someone else depicts them with or without clothes.

I believe that in a free democratic country, everyone has the right to freedom of ‘peaceful’ expression. At least as educated mature people, we should understand that artisitic freedom is important for growth and enrichment of our culture.

Also, whether or not M.F. Hussain or anyone else has respect for my beliefs and faith does not, in anyway affect me unless he/she forces his views upon me. Similarly, I should not try to force my views upon M.F. Hussain!
I have as much respect for a fellow human being as for any religion.

I am sure M.F. Hussain is not going about sending mails or barging into people’s houses with his paintings and forcing them to see his work. You can choose to criticize his work but please don’t turn this into a communal issue.

In any case, we are all born naked, aren’t we?

If India is a secular and democratic society, why are we having issues with the work of an artist? Doesn't a true democay grant rights to all levels of the society?

Read my post 33. It is same to all societies.

:rofl:
I agree with this reaction I came accross. Its from a Hindu blogger:
I do not find anything offending here as my respect for a religion or God is not dependent on whether someone else depicts them with or without clothes.

I believe that in a free democratic country, everyone has the right to freedom of ‘peaceful’ expression. At least as educated mature people, we should understand that artisitic freedom is important for growth and enrichment of our culture.

Also, whether or not M.F. Hussain or anyone else has respect for my beliefs and faith does not, in anyway affect me unless he/she forces his views upon me. Similarly, I should not try to force my views upon M.F. Hussain!
I have as much respect for a fellow human being as for any religion.

I am sure M.F. Hussain is not going about sending mails or barging into people’s houses with his paintings and forcing them to see his work. You can choose to criticize his work but please don’t turn this into a communal issue.

In any case, we are all born naked, aren’t we?

What a stupid statement?.:rofl:

While the basic premise that India as a tolerant secular democracy should protect Hussain is correct, that is already the case. Its a section of people who are offended that are targeting him and the state and its institutions are on the side of Hussain.

But you can't demand of others what you are not ready to accept for yourself. That reeks of hypocrisy. A dictator can't demand a democracy to behave in a particular way because that is what the highest democratic ideals preach.

Be ready to practice what you preach to others.

Its wrong and against the principal islamic teachings. I'm curious to read reactions from muslim scholars. :coffee:

So you are back on interpretation right? So does people from other societies some will find it unthinkable some may have liberal views.

India being a Secular country it cannot have Blasphemy laws. So it still supports Hussein.

You managed to focus on one sentence only instead of a whole secular and modest approach by the blogger? :woot:
Talk about stupidity. ;)

I agree with most of what he says, expect for the part that I will not tolerate if somebody offends my sentiments. Simple. He is entitled to his opinion.

His statement is stupid, because we are born naked but we don't roam around naked. So, if somebody paints his naked picture and sells in the street (or even on net), will he be happy?.

So you are back on interpretation right? So does people from other societies some will find it unthinkable some may have liberal views.
Ohhh...you're good! :yahoo:
There's no liberal view nor multiple interpretations to the basics of Islam, paintings or statues are not allowed. Period!

India being a Secular country it cannot have Blasphemy laws. So it still supports Hussein.
What support are you talking about? The guy is in exile! :what:

hindus are welcome to engage in traditional "muslim" arts, like calligraphy, writing of shairi, naat, etc.

What is Muslim about any of these arts.

Calligraphy has been practiced since at least 600 BC. Poetry should be even older. Surely Kalidasa was born long before the prophet.

The arts have no religion. The religious fundoo types Muslims would have opposed them in any case.

Back
Top Bottom