What's new

American schools discriminate against Asians

Interestingly, in the south of the US where Latino population dominates, I witnessed widespread discrimination against the Whites in terms of giving out TA and RA positions or employing them part time in nice places like libraries.

In my particular university, all the part time students working in the cafeteria were Black Americans.

Discrimination in all forms is pretty widespread in the US and the air in university departments (inter departmental politics) is rather toxic.

Maybe @Nihonjin1051 had/has similar experience.

Reverse discrimination, i think. America has a "affirmative action" policy so they save percentage seats for students of a particular ethnic group and race (usually African American, Latino American).

What say you @Hamartia Antidote

Discrimination in all forms is pretty widespread in the US and the air in university departments (inter departmental politics) is rather toxic.

Affirmative action. Its similar to Malaysia's Bumiputra policy. Unfortunate, really. One is punished for being of a particular ethnic group (East Asian, White; and punished for having exceedingly high IQs and academic GPAs).

Reverse discrimination, i think. America has a "affirmative action" policy so they save percentage seats for students of a particular ethnic group and race (usually African American, Latino American).

What say you @Hamartia Antidote

Affirmative action. Its similar to Malaysia's Bumiputra policy. Unfortunate, really. One is punished for being of a particular ethnic group (East Asian, White; and punished for having exceedingly high IQs and academic GPAs).

There's all sorts of quotas...even for encouraging foreigners from different countries, When I went to college in the 80's South Americans got the primo quota. The problem is after they open the floodgates for one group they have trouble scaling it back when they want to target a different group (no doubt due to some special interest group lobbying. ie you want that military base/ uninterrupted oil flow/ some UN vote....just let 20,000 of our citizens go to your colleges ).

Last edited:
Gents,

The goal of this thread is not about discussion of American colleges attempts at promoting racial equality but to impart to the Asians of this forum the idea that America hate Asians.

Ok. So don't come !

But I know you buggers would still do.. :lol:

There's all sorts of quotas...even for encouraging foreigners from different countries, When I went to college in the 80's South Americans got the primo quota. The problem is after they open the floodgates for one group they have trouble scaling it back when they want to target a different group (no doubt due to some special interest group lobbying. ie you want that military base/ uninterrupted oil flow/ some UN vote....just let 20,000 of our citizens go to your colleges ).

I think , in regards to the United States Higher Education , policy is centered on equal opportunity. The basis of affirmative action is to provide access to quality education and job market for particular ethnic groups / race groups who may not have access due to the statistical notion of their occupation of lower tier of the socioeconomic ladder. Case iin point, most African Americans live in urban areas that are renowned for poor education, high crime rates, and aculturation towards violence and gang activity, case in point: Camden, NJ; Detroit, MI,, Chicago, IL; Atlanta, GA et al. The idea is noble, to be honest, however, in the actual implementation of said policy, highly qualified candidates to prestitigious PH.D, M.D/D.O, D.N.P, D.P.T, Pharm.D, D.B.A programs are denied in order to save "spots" for certain groups.

As a graduate of a prestigious PH.D. program in Rutgers University, some members of my cohort were given 'access' due to their race and ethnicity, and one can see the dichotomy of their works compared to more distinguished members (mind you many of us, including myself, have published more than 10 articles in peer reviewed journals; some of , unfortunately, have not even been published....).

Ok. So don't come !

But I know you sods would still do.. :lol:

Prov,

I think the issue is not about the American education system(s) itself , but certain selection criterion processes erg, affirmative action.

Prov,

I think the issue is not about the American education system(s) itself , but certain selection criterion processes erg, affirmative action.

Well the implementation process might be flawed in some sense but merit can never be the sole criteria for selection when you don't have equity in opportunities since juniors !

The problem is after they open the floodgates for one group they have trouble scaling it back when they want to target a different group

However, i should note that when they open the "floodgates" to a particular ethnic group, ergo, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian & South Asian --- these particular ethnic groups tend to contribute greatly to academic publication journals, and tend to continue to finish the highest accolade(s) in academia (ergo finishing either a PH.D, M.D/D.O, D.B.A) and tend to "give back" to the said institution that provided them with the H1B. I hate to sound race-oriented, but one should also look at the number of East Asian doctoral / graduate students and their contributions to hard science and social science publications , and compare that to other ethnic groups. One tends to make rather requisite assumptions, which tend to reflect accuracy on ability.

Well the implementation process might be flawed in some sense but merit can never be the sole criteria for selection when you don't have equity in opportunities since juniors !

Yes, i agree, in principle. However, the problem is that affirmative action has been greatly taken advantaged of. It places an artificial award system that does not usually exist in the work place. A favoritistic model of application for one group just because their ancestors were slaves. It does not make sense. Should Indians and Pakistanis have greater access to British educational systems just because their lands were once ruled over by Britain? Should Koreans and Chinese have preferential access to Japanese educational systems just because Japan once held territories in China and Korea? It just does not make sense --- the justification processes in some Affirmative-Action Institutions. In fact they bring in poor candidates, but do so just to appease an artificially created quota system.

However, i should note that when they open the "floodgates" to a particular ethnic group, ergo, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian & South Asian --- these particular ethnic groups tend to contribute greatly to academic publication journals, and tend to continue to finish the highest accolade(s) in academia (ergo finishing either a PH.D, M.D/D.O, D.B.A) and tend to "give back" to the said institution that provided them with the H1B. I hate to sound race-oriented, but one should also look at the number of East Asian doctoral / graduate students and their contributions to hard science and social science publications , and compare that to other ethnic groups. One tends to make rather requisite assumptions, which tend to reflect accuracy on ability.

Yes, i agree, in principle. However, the problem is that affirmative action has been greatly taken advantaged of. It places an artificial award system that does not usually exist in the work place. A favoritistic model of application for one group just because their ancestors were slaves. It does not make sense. Should Indians and Pakistanis have greater access to British educational systems just because their lands were once ruled over by Britain? Should Koreans and Chinese have preferential access to Japanese educational systems just because Japan once held territories in China and Korea? It just does not make sense --- the justification processes in some Affirmative-Action Institutions. In fact they bring in poor candidates, but do so just to appease an artificially created quota system.

Well it's a tricky situation. For instance let's take my International student example again. Say the US is trying to get Africa out of the Third World. We could dump billions every year into infrastructure. However maybe a better solution would be to educate thousands of Aftican engineers.

So they bring in a a bunch - and somebody "more deserving" loses a seat.

Interestingly, in the south of the US where Latino population dominates, I witnessed widespread discrimination against the Whites in terms of giving out TA and RA positions or employing them part time in nice places like libraries.

In my particular university, all the part time students working in the cafeteria were Black Americans.

Maybe @Nihonjin1051 had/has similar experience.

Do you actually realise if there are discrimination against EVERYBODY, that would not be Discrimination at all.

But when you talk about Discrimination, when I was studying in Chinese University of Hong Kong, 4% of my school were foreigner, And if you have not passed the local HKAL (Hong Kong Advance Level Examination), there are virtually no chance you can get into one of the 8 university in Hong Kong, 20000 of the 24,000 place were allocated to HKAL graduate. And Foreigner will NEVER going to pass as one of the core subject is Chinese Language and Culture. How's that for discrimination?

PS. I was in Chinese University of Hong Kong during 1998-1999, after the Turnover, so you cannot blame the British Hong Kong government. How toxic is the air of Fascist Dictatorship Chinese Government Regime??

Yeah...I was not admitted to Harvard, Stanford and MIT...ALL of them. And unlike the Asian students featured here they couldn't even say that I was a 'problem candidate' because I scored well. I failed just about every paper I took in college and school except GMAT & GRE (which I did well coz I was checking out high quality weed in those days). So I can say with certainty that Asians really are being discriminated by these m&^$%#%&!!!!!

Well their loss

Yeah...I was not admitted to Harvard, Stanford and MIT...ALL of them. And unlike the Asian students featured here they couldn't even say that I was a 'problem candidate' because I scored well. I failed just about every paper I took in college and school except GMAT & GRE (which I did well coz I was checking out high quality weed in those days). So I can say with certainty that Asians really are being discriminated by these m&^$%#%&!!!!!

Well their loss

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom