What's new

All LNG spot cargo sold out, tough winter for Pakistanis

Nothing for Pakistan and delay in the bidding. Coming winters will be very tough. Get ready people. EU bought all before winter due to the Ukraine standoff. Our govt knew this Ukraine war will not end before winter on top of Russia-EU gas line is already a victim of war.
bajwas fault.

If there is gas available in Iran, how hard it is to ship it from there? Pipeline is not the only transport. Anyway, I don't see how an Iran-Pakistan pipeline involves India. Also, the distance is short enough that LNG can be brought over road or rail. Heck, some smart entrepreneur can smuggle gas cylinders across the border.

View attachment 886646

It is not that you need India. But you do not have the means to withstand combined pressure from USA and Gulf Arabs

It is not that you need India. But you do not have the means to withstand combined pressure from USA and Gulf Arabs
Pressure over what? Who will care if someone drives a truckful of LPG cylinders from Rimdan to Gabd?

Pressure over what? Who will care if someone drives a truckful of LPG cylinders from Rimdan to Gabd?

Pressure over trading with Iran
Nobody would care except there is no money to made
there are tiny details like how do you pay the Iranians ? Pakistani rupees do not cut it

Last edited:
Pressure over trading with Iran
Nobody would care except there is no money to made
there are tiny details like how do you pay the Iranians ? Pakistani rupees do not cut it
There is no pressure by anybody. World is too busy with bigger problems. About paying part, somehow smugglers seem to know how to work around Iranian oil embargoes. How are the Afghan's importing their necessities without foreign currency? North Korea? Cuba? when there is will, there is a way.

There is no pressure by anybody. World is too busy with bigger problems. About paying part, somehow smugglers seem to know how to work around Iranian oil embargoes. How are the Afghan's importing their necessities without foreign currency? North Korea? Cuba? when there is will, there is a way.

If there was no pressure Pakistan would be trading a lot more with Iran. It is one thing to show the middle finger to Uncle Sam. It is another to piss off Saudis and UAE. If they co-ordinate the pressure forget it.

Even China treads carefully here

North Korea has low standards of living. Cuba earns foreign exchange through tourism. In case of North Korea and Cuba the state is co-ordinating this crap
If the Pakistani state does not want to be seen doing this you have the Afghanistan route. Afghanistan is importing stuff with drug money.

you can try the revival of the TAPI pipeline

For such things you need an active diplomatic corp. Not some intern going around on holiday with a yellow suitcase responding to think tank questions by deflecting on how "his mother this and that."

For such things you need to have a well thought out 10+ year policy. Not some "[Insert name of government department] give me a policy in 5 days."

For such things you need to have money. Not some coin purses thrown to you in pity.

Anyway, I don't see how an Iran-Pakistan pipeline involves India.
A pipeline between Iran and Pakistan is not seen to be economically feasible given Pakistan's energy appetite in near future. Indian participation is expected to make the project economically feasible because of the higher demand from Indian market. :pop:

Next year June 2023 will be hell for 3rd wold ...fasten your seatbelt.

IMF says Germany and Italy to slip into recession in 2023​

A forecast by the International Monetary Fund shows Germany and Italy are to tumble into recession next year. Both countries are viewed as the G7 economies that are most exposed to gas supply cuts from Russia.

EU and other big economies have secured all LNG cargoes until 2026. Nothing left smaller economies. I-P pipeline will be fast tracked for completion, IMO. Its already almost done.

A pipeline between Iran and Pakistan is not seen to be economically feasible given Pakistan's energy appetite in near future. Indian participation is expected to make the project economically feasible because of the higher demand from Indian market. :pop:
India already pulled out of Iran pipeline. I-P will be completed without India.

For such things you need an active diplomatic corp. Not some intern going around on holiday with a yellow suitcase responding to think tank questions by deflecting on how "his mother this and that."

For such things you need to have a well thought out 10+ year policy. Not some "[Insert name of government department] give me a policy in 5 days."

For such things you need to have money. Not some coin purses thrown to you in pity.

You are preaching to the choir :pakistan:

EU and other big economies have secured all LNG cargoes until 2026. Nothing left smaller economies. I-P pipeline will be fast tracked for completion, IMO. Its already almost done.

India already pulled out of Iran pipeline. I-P will be completed without India.

As someone pointed out tanker trucks could carry LNG from Iran into Pakistan

long term strategy would have been to co-operate with India and build pipeline with Iran to import natural gas. co-operation with India would have been the only way to fend off American/Saudi pressure. that bus has long gone.

you can try the revival of the TAPI pipeline

The roadblock in the TAPI pipeline is the US pressure rather than Pakistan's animosity with India.

Suppliers (like Qatar) scuttle long term contracts because the penalty that they will pay is lesser than the profits they can earn from spot market. Developing countries may not be able to competitively bid in the spot market given the buying power of developed western countries.

If I am not wrong, Qatar Gas has not defaulted on any shipment. It's the likes of Guvnor and Eni.

The roadblock in the TAPI pipeline is the US pressure rather than Pakistan's animosity with India.

If I am not wrong, Qatar Gas has not defaulted on any shipment. It's the likes of Guvnor and Eni.

Actually, the main issue is India's reluctance to rely on any energy supply that passes through Pakistan, and thus vulnerable. Of course, any major project that excludes such as huge customer as India will not be as profitable. Catch-22.

Actually, the main issue is India's reluctance to rely on any energy supply that passes through Pakistan, and thus vulnerable. Of course, any major project that excludes such as huge customer as India will not be as profitable. Catch-22.

The worst part is that the Russia-Ukraine war vindicates India. They are going to point out to the EU getting screwed by the Russians

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom