BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
By Mushirul Hasan

08 October, 2008

Countercurrents.org

The extent to which the Indian society is getting polarised along religious lines is very disturbing. If this is the state of affairs almost seven decades after independence, what might happen a few decades later? This is not the time to attribute responsibility to different parties or communities. This is a moment for self-reflection and for finding out what gives rise to this mindless violence.

The other very disquieting fact is how the electronic media and sections of the Hindi print media have taken upon themselves the responsibility of being the custodian of the nation’s interest. The arrogance and intolerance in their coverage reflects a very ominous trend in the history of journalism. I have experienced this recently. The Jamia encounter in New Delhi was not a big affair, it could have been easily sorted out, but it was turned into a campaign against a university. Students of the Jamia Millia Islamia University were arrested without charge, they were denied access to lawyers and even their parents could not meet them. On top of it the university was blamed and its reputation was attacked. A student of the London School of Economics (LSE) was nabbed very recently by the police — does it mean that the LSE has become a hotbed of terrorism? This is senseless.

The university’s doors are open to non-Muslims; it’s teachers are drawn from all communities. Compare our record with that of other so-called secular universities where Muslims have limited access — Benaras Hindu University, Allahabad University and even Delhi University — then what are we questioning?

I think we have to fight back. We have tolerated this nonsense for far too long. We demonstrate to the people that the media are not trustworthy and that they only sensationalize events. Jamia Millia is a secular institution funded by the Central Government. The question of legal aid is not being looked at from the perspective of a teacher’s responsibility to her students. As the head of the institution, I feel I have an obligation towards my students and I am not using the taxpayer’s money for it. The real issue is of principle. If this had happened to a non-Muslim student, I would have done the same. I am also upholding the rule of law. Why have we forgotten the principle that says that an accused is innocent until proven guilty?

In the ultimate analysis, our society, which has gone through the Khalistan movement and experienced terrorism in the Northeast, must look at these incidents in a more cool-headed manner. You can’t fight it by reacting in a hysterical manner. Our police is becoming more and more politicized and communalized. We haven’t oriented them into becoming the custodians of the secular values enshrined in our constitution. Over the past 10 years, there has been a systematic pattern — Deoband University, an institution with a glorious record, has been targeted. So has Nadvat-ul-Ulema in Lucknow. Attacking the Aligarh University is not new, despite it being a modern institution with its doors open to students of all communities. Is there a pattern in this madness? We need to reflect on these issues. The alienation is very deep and it has to stop. Instead of supporting us, which would also mean supporting an institution committed to secular values, there are attempts to undermine our secular foundations.

We are dealing with a younger generation of Muslims. I believe in liberal, eclectic and pluralist values, but I suspect this vision will not be shared by those who feel insecure and excluded, socially and culturally. Why have the guilty in Gujarat not been punished? Why? Why? Why? Why is the VHP and Bajrang Dal not banned for killing innocent Christians and desecrating their churches?

I regard myself, as do millions of others, as part of the edifice that is called India. The idea of India is my idea. There is no India without me and I will not let that change. We have already taken certain steps to counter subversive ideas that might fracture our secular society. I appeal to civil society and the media to let us live in peace and get on with our simple and innocent job i.e. pursuit of knowledge. There is a limit to what one can tolerate. Nobody dare question our commitment to education, and our loyalty to the Indian Constitution.

– Hasan is Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India

Alienation Of Indian Muslims By Mushirul Hasan

Its my Personal View i Think a separate Country for Indian Muslims can be a solution. I am not Saying that it should be a Part of PAKISTAN, it should be independent and sovereign.

Its my Personal View i Think a separate Country for Indian Muslims can be a solution. I am not Saying that it should be a Part of PAKISTAN, it should be independent and sovereign.

This is the most ludicrous suggestion one has heard. the soloution is :

a) Others to mind their own business.
b) If u feel so strongly for them, take them into Pak or BD.
c) If (b) is not ( obviously) possible, lay off & let Indians solve their own problems.

Remember, all living in India are Indians first & then Hindu, muslims,sikh , christians etc.

indian muslim is as loyal as any other citizen of india which some member in this forum dosn't realise.so keep deaming about partition.

Muslims helped crack Mumbai terror module

MUMBAI: Crime branch officials tracking terror suspects in Mumbai were sheltered by Muslim families in their homes for a few days. The undercover off
icers took the families into confidence and used their houses as bases to observe the movements of the suspects before zeroing in on them.

“They played a very important role by supporting us in our operation,’’ joint commissioner of police (crime) Rakesh Maria said. Several suspects who were picked up from Mumbai and the neighbouring districts stayed in Muslim-dominated areas. For the cops, it was very difficult to move around there without being noticed.

The police identified some families through their contacts in Kurla, Cheetah Camp, and Mumbra, where the officers were provided shelter by Muslim families. “We stayed there for two days, watched the movements of the suspects and kept passing on the information to the crime branch headquarters where senior officers worked on it,’’ a police officer said. The basic idea was to confirm the identities of the suspects before picking them up.

In one instance, an officer apparently shot pictures of a suspect with his cellphone and sent it to headquarters where it was shown to one of the arrested accused. “He confirmed the identity, after which the suspect was arrested,’’ the officer said.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Muslims_helped_crack_Mumbai_terror_module/articleshow/3579249.cms

indian muslim is as loyal as any other citizen of india which some member in this forum dosn't realise.so keep deaming about partition.

Indian Muslims are 200% loyal with their country there is no doubt about it. The problems is that, the fact had not been aknowledge by their country even after 61 years of the independence. They still have to listen to the taunts "Go back to your Pakistan".

And see my dear here is the problem.
Give them due respect for their loyalities, give them due credit for their brave decision to remain in India.

Integrate them into the mainstream trust me you guys will be much relieved and get more helping hand for your development.

No !! education for Indian Muslim is the solution. participation in politics is important. And strong Bangladesh and Pakistan, who gives right to its own citizen is important. A new country will further weaken the Indian Muslim. Think about combining the Muslim Population of India Pakistan and B'desh :) we Muslim would have been the majority in Indian. :) if the not majority then a very big minority which could not be ignored

Indian Muslims are 200% loyal with their country there is no doubt about it. The problems is that, the fact had not been aknowledge by their country even after 61 years of the independence. They still have to listen to the taunts "Go back to your Pakistan".

And see my dear here is the problem.
Give them due respect for their loyalities, give them due credit for their brave decision to remain in India.

Integrate them into the mainstream trust me you guys will be much relieved and get more helping hand for your development.

Jana,

If the loyalty of Indian Muslims was in doubt there would not have been regiments in the Army with Companies / squadrons of Muslims not to mention so many Senior officers in the Services. This issue must not even be discussed coz even talking of a subject like this amounts to an insult to the muslims in Uniform.

It was not a brave decsion to remain in India but a wise one.

Education ( instead / in addition to those in Madarsa's ) is the key to join the mainstrem in India today. this automatically opens up a multitude of options.

Take it easy Third Eye, Muslims are seriously under represented in Indian Military and other state institutions. Thats no secret. The world knows it, just read the article I posted. Barely 3% of Indian military is Muslim, and even less are in the officer ranks.
They have a long way to go, its no insult to anyone to state a reality.

Jana,

If the loyalty of Indian Muslims was in doubt there would not have been regiments in the Army with Companies / squadrons of Muslims not to mention so many Senior officers in the Services. This issue must not even be discussed coz even talking of a subject like this amounts to an insult to the muslims in Uniform.

It was not a brave decsion to remain in India but a wise one.

Education ( instead / in addition to those in Madarsa's ) is the key to join the mainstrem in India today. this automatically opens up a multitude of options.

Nothing extra special about offering them services in forces it has been done in every country even most anti-Islamic countries too.
Terming exceptional cases as proof for the equal treatment is not suffice as such steps are not taken to appease them but for some fair appearence in front of the world.

The true fairness would be when strong measures are taken for alleviating the status of millions of those who are at the at the end of the tunnel.

As far as Education my dear Sir do not trun your eyes from the fact that there are not thousands of madrassas in India and those which are operating they are offering different modern subjects even in some states their students have got higher grades than state-run schools.
So let not be biased and do away with this lame excuse that due to madrassas Muslims lag behind in education.

As far their decision may Yes that must have been wise only if it had proved by their chosen country by helping them all out.

Take it easy Third Eye, Muslims are seriously under represented in Indian Military and other state institutions. Thats no secret. The world knows it, just read the article I posted. Barely 3% of Indian military is Muslim, and even less are in the officer ranks.
They have a long way to go, its no insult to anyone to state a reality.

Not discussing percentages... talking of loyalty.

I my opinion, if Pakistan thinks Indian Muslim are niot safe. Then I will suggest India and Pakistan should be united and then Muslims will have bigger voice....

Those Muslims who join Indias Armies would obviously be loyal, but you should ask yourself, are there enough of them? Given this is 'secular' India...

Back
Top Bottom