What's new

Al Qaeda leader’s poem in Calicut varsity(Kerala) syllabus

inclusion of this poem was a bad move, because there is no freedom of choice since not everybody would like to read a poem from a suspected terrorist who escaped from prison and is apparently working with al qaida. people who think that a poem should be appreciated regardless of the background of the author has a choice of buying and reading it.
further more it's a study material, students might need to explain the background of the poem and poet , what is it which the poet is talking about, criticising,where did he write it, why was he there etc .
when such questions are asked, which version of the story is the right answer ? American version or amnesty's and poet's own version ? Or are they going to accept both versions ?

If the poem is not offensive or doesn't spread hatred and this terrorist is locked up and writing a poem in his cell then what exactly is the problem here?

There are lots of insane writing that goes published and this one isn't even offensive so whats the fuss all about.

Some people have expressed their reservation in using a terrorists work in the syllabus .

It's not that the world is in acute shortage of literal works to include this in the curriculum . They can find many better ones .

If the poem is not offensive or doesn't spread hatred and this terrorist is locked up and writing a poem in his cell then what exactly is the problem here?

There are lots of insane writing that goes published and this one isn't even offensive so whats the fuss all about.

read the poem(#11) it's about his imprisonment , then read my post #16.

Some people have expressed their reservation in using a terrorists work in the syllabus .

It's not that the world is in acute shortage of literal works to include this in the curriculum . They can find many better ones .

A locked up terrorist to be precise one who is serving his time for the bad things he has done,and i think poems and other literal stuff are not judged by the author who writes it but by the content in that writing,which is apparently not bad.
Besides what happens when he finishes his term and set free will he still be terrorist?

A locked up terrorist to be precise one who is serving his time for the bad things he has done,and i think poems and other literal stuff are not judged by the author who writes it but by the content in that writing,which is apparently not bad.
Besides what happens when he finishes his term and set free will he still be terrorist?

A terrorist is a terrorist . Is there any guarantee that he will not return back to terrorism ??

There is no need to give any attention or publicity to him neither for his work .

read the poem(#11) it's about his imprisonment , then read my post #16.

Depends on the individual student and how they see the author but still its pretty clear opposition to this poem is purely because of the background of the author and let me tell you there are many writings done by criminals while they are serving their term in prison and its worth a read.

A terrorist is a terrorist . Is there any guarantee that he will not return back to terrorism ??

There is no need to give any attention or publicity to him neither for his work .

That's a very sad way to look at things.

A book on sale - I would would have said - OK fine, go ahead.
Putting it in syllabus means - you gotta read it. And discuss it. I am not ok with that. Period.

A book on sale - I would would have said - OK fine, go ahead.
Putting it in syllabus means - you gotta read it. And discuss it. I am not ok with that. Period.

TRUE .If some individuals want to read , it is fine .But including it in syllabus has no justification.

Whats the News ...

If UPA gets a another term they'll Put a Chapter on OSAMAji's life... and Kasab and Afzal Guru would be declared National Martyrs...

Kerala is a Gone Case ... No more Hope since its clear CPM is gonna get the next term ...

Depends on the individual student and how they see the author but still its pretty clear opposition to this poem is purely because of the background of the author and let me tell you there are many writings done by criminals while they are serving their term in prison and its worth a read.

That's a very sad way to look at things.

yes there there were many good books written by criminals but not terrorists, or do you think there is no difference ?
once again I would repeat, even books written by terrorists can be read and appreciated, but that's a personal choice and freedom, when you include something like that in a syllabus you are denying the freedom to reject a book because of the author's background of being a terrorist.don't I have a right to not to study a poem and avoid the situation of describing a POV of a terrorist.

And there can't be two answers for many questions.

who are they which the poet is describing as faithless ?why ?

why is the poet is in chain ?
what's the meaning of " our enemies in below lines ?
"You have colluded with our enemies and you cruelly guard us."
Are we going to accept a suspected terrorist's version and his thoughts about the " faithless enemy " also as the right answer for the question ?
since he escaped from prison before any court can sentence any verdict against him, he is the perfect man to be portrayed as a victim since terrorist sympathizers can conveniently counter argue that he is not convicted so technically innocent.
aren't we going to create more and more terrorist apologists with this kind of syllabus?

And there can't be two answers for many questions.

who are they which the poet is describing as faithless ?why ?

why is the poet is in chain ?
what's the meaning of " our enemies in below lines ?
"You have colluded with our enemies and you cruelly guard us."
Are we going to accept a suspected terrorist's version and his thoughts about the " faithless enemy " also as the right answer for the question ?
i think including the poem in syllabus was wrong.................................
but regarding the poem, if you forget the poets background i think you wont find anything offensive in the poem
it just portrays the feelings of a soldier who is imprisoned by his enemy

Back
Top Bottom