What's new

Akinci & Aksungur and Turkish Unmanned Fighter Aircraft Program

There's a reason why Akıncı is the first UAV in the world to fire a cruise missile and nobody did it before. It's because it's a stupid idea. A cruise missile is the same thing as a Kamikaze UAV, the only difference is that it doesn't loiter. So basically you're making a UAV carry another UAV. It's dumb.

Just make a longer range version of Gezgin, it will be much cheaper and carry a much bigger warhead.

Also... Remember when TİHA used to mean Anka?

I'm getting too old for this shit...
So if the Dassault Neuron and BaE Taranis - along with the unmanned accompanying fighters of Tempest program are envisioned to carry cruise system I guess that makes most of Europe, lockheed martin and even Northrop stupid too.
Fairly broad brush for stupid.

So if the Dassault Neuron and BaE Taranis - along with the unmanned accompanying fighters of Tempest program are envisioned to carry cruise system I guess that makes most of Europe, lockheed martin and even Northrop stupid too.
Fairly broad brush for stupid.
Neither neuron nor Taranis are going to production. I don't know what you're on about.

If they carried cruise missiles, it means that Akıncı isn't the first in the world.
And tempest isn't even at a mock-up stage. As far as I know, no prototypes exist.

So why are we discussing this?

What is a "cruise system" ? Are you sure you know what we are talking about?

Last edited:
Neither neuron nor Taranis are going to production. I don't know what you're on about.

If they carried cruise missiles, it means that Akıncı isn't the first in the world.
And tempest isn't even at a mock-up stage. As far as I know, no prototypes exist.

So why are we discussing this?

What is a "cruise system" ? Are you sure you know what we are talking about?
Doesn’t matter if they are going into production - cruise missile systems(since you want to be pedantic with semantics, and they are still systems unless you want to spend some more time arguing semantics) were conceptually planned and shown for the platforms intended “evolution”. Whether the tempest is in production or even the X-45 demonstrator that isn’t - they were both envisioned to carry long range stand off systems a.k.a cruise missiles.

Whether the Akinci is the first to carry and launch is debatable but that doesn’t mean there isn’t utility in unmanned systems carrying cruise missiles.

If one follows your logic - then technically all cruise systems are aircraft with an automatic pilot so to speak and airforces that fly manned aircraft to launch cruise missiles are stupid as well.

If one follows your logic - then technically all cruise systems are aircraft with an automatic pilot so to speak and airforces that fly manned aircraft to launch cruise missiles are stupid as well.
Not necessarily, because you can't jam a human pilot. And in F35s case, it's harder to detect the plane than to detect a tomahawk missile in flight.

An unmanned system carrying another unmanned system is just... odd

Besides, Gezgin will be much cheaper than SOM or SOM-J

If both Akinci and Aksungur can carry SOM cruise missiles. Then in my opinion Pakistan should opt for Aksungur.

@Hakikat ve Hikmet
They're for different roles. Aksungur will have more SIGINT and maritime (Anti-ship/submarine) roles. Akinji is for more self-protected smart A2G attack roles to lessen the burden on F-16s.....

Not necessarily, because you can't jam a human pilot. And in F35s case, it's harder to detect the plane than to detect a tomahawk missile in flight.

An unmanned system carrying another unmanned system is just... odd

Besides, Gezgin will be much cheaper than SOM or SOM-J
But that isn’t the use case is it?
Cruise missiles are intended to be deployed from ranges where the EW environment isn’t that effective to cause these problems.

But that isn’t the use case is it?
Cruise missiles are intended to be deployed from ranges where the EW environment isn’t that effective to cause these problems.
Yes, because the target may not always be in range of your ground based or naval cruise missiles, or in Tomahawk's case the ground based cruise missile is very expensive anyway.

But I think in Turkey's case Gezgin is going to be so much cheaper than SOM that this arrangement with Akıncı won't make any sense.

Also launch from an F16 extends a cruise missile's range compared to a launch from any UAV
If both Akinci and Aksungur can carry SOM cruise missiles. Then in my opinion Pakistan should opt for Aksungur.
Aksungur has a payload capacity of 750 Kilograms, that's enough to carry any version of SOM, but I would suggest taking advantage of the superior optical systems of Aksungur to engage targets within line of sight.

Last edited:
Oh well :blink: ... looks most interesting!

1626549689841.png

TAI Göksungur has not been introduced yet. The Turkish UAV family and its customized solutions for different combat conditions will continue to expand with an accelerating rate. We have passed the difficult part, sufficient infrastructure, self sustaining economy and engineering power standing on its own feet has been created in our aviation industry, now we will see more sophisticated and dedicated to specific mission systems.

Last edited:
We have passed the difficult part, sufficient infrastructure, self sustaining economy and engineering power standing on its own feet has been created in our aviation industry, now we will see more sophisticated and dedicated to specific mission systems.

Not yet. Our high power and durable turbofan engine problem continues. There are also problems with the sensors.

But most importantly, there is a risk that political isolation will turn into economic isolation, and this risk is increasing rapidly. You cannot keep the economy alive without outside jobs. Because it is a kind of export.

@MKALE1

I was wondering, what's funny?

Do we have a powerful and reliable turbofan engine? No.
Do we have sensors readily available that can be fitted to airplanes? No.
Is there any guarantee that the USA or EU will order from TEI or TAI tomorrow? No.
In this sense, does not the risk of economic isolation increase? Yes, it is increasing.
Aren't these companies at risk of losing their export markets? Yes they are.

So what's funny?

Back
Top Bottom