What's new

Air Force Question Thread

what is the difference b/w AWACS and AEW&C.
which system is more superior?
and we have which one?

If this question has been asked before I am sorry....
Why did the PAF change its Fin Flash to the Pakistani flag and when

Secondly do PAF aircraft have a low visibilty roundel too ?

what is the difference b/w AWACS and AEW&C.
which system is more superior?
and we have which one?

This is not correct. AWACS = AEW&C. Its a change in nomenclature and terminology over the past decade or so. All current systems including the Phalcon, Wedgetail, Erieye and E3 are now categorized as AEW&C. There are some old articles lingering on the web which try to make this distinction between the two definitions. The reality is that the only AWACS was the first one and that was the E-3 Sentry. That was the name given to the aircraft. People started linking the size of the platform to assume the bigger ones were AWACS and smaller ones AEW&C, when in reality, some of the smaller systems pack more gadgetry and technology than the bigger platforms. Now everything is AEW&C.
here you go....

If this question has been asked before I am sorry....
Why did the PAF change its Fin Flash to the Pakistani flag and when

Secondly do PAF aircraft have a low visibilty roundel too ?

as far as i remember PAF always had the Pak Flag (green background/crescent and star). the white strip was added in the 80's as its fin flash. low visibility roundels are a recent event esp on the F-16's. some C-130's also have the low-viz.

the white depicts nonmuslims in pakistan and green depicts muslims -- i read that in 8th grade , its good that they are showing the full flag , eventhough its in low visibility mode

Oh Sorry. I only heard rumors of a Naval version of Babur, never saw the confirmation.

Anyways even I have a little question. We all know about Jets, and some of us know each and every detail.
But one thing that bothers me is, how do the F-16s and other start? Is there any key or what? If so, are the keys always in the crafts during ADA?
Who has the keys whilst off duty?

Thanks.

Anyways even I have a little question. We all know about Jets, and some of us know each and every detail.
But one thing that bothers me is, how do the F-16s and other start? Is there any key or what? If so, are the keys always in the crafts during ADA?
Who has the keys whilst off duty?

Thanks.

There are no keys

To start a jet engine you need to provide it with an air bleed (blow air in to the engine).... that can be provided with a Ground Start cart or an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit)
APU is a small engine inside an aircraft that doubles as a generator and provides air bleed too to the engine (or engines).... The APU itself is started by the aircrafts battery... The APU genrator can be used to power the electrical systems when the engines are off.... it is not advisable to to keep the APU on for lengthy peroid of time.... That is why there are extrneal power sockets too... YOu plug them in to the aircraft for power

Some fighters like Tornado have thier own APU.

Here is the start cart for the SR-71 (provides only air bleed not Electrical power)
AG330_start_cart.JPG

The F-16 will need a completed DTC inserted into its slot from an approved Mission Planning System in order to fly effectively.

Is there any new Aircraft PAF is interested or looking for besides Chinese stuff???

Back
Top Bottom