What's new

Air Force Question Thread

must be talking about Iranian F5 ....its in pic gallery with Pak flag on tail.

Haider I flew the F-5 but we didn't put Pakistani flag on them, that PS.
I flew the F-5 for maybe 10 min than we were ordered to land ASAP because it didn't have the ejection Cartridges in them. After that we never flew them and returned them with thanks.

Sir, how was experience . Cuz i never seen any kill record of this plane.

Sir, how was experience . Cuz i never seen any kill record of this plane.

I was on Sabers when I was told to fly it, It is a useless fighter in other words pathetic. Good for training purposes only.

I was on Sabers when I was told to fly it, It is a useless fighter in other words pathetic. Good for training purposes only.

Sir, you obviously will know about the F-20 Tigershark (an advanced F-5) being offered to Pakistan with licence production before F-16 was cleared for sale. Of course PAF pushed for the F-16. My questions are:

- Assuming no sanctions, would the F-20 have been a good choice for Pakistan rather than F-16? (I think F-16 was originally bought to take out India's nuclear facilities, so no because F-20 would not have enough range.)
- Would F-20 have been a good choice in addition to F-16? I think yes because of PAF's efforts to develop F-7 Sabre II (Project Sabre II) and JF-17, which are both similar in many ways to F-20)

Also, can you tell us more about Project Sabre II or show me any good sources you have found about it? From what I have found so far (very little), I know it was an F-7 with side-intakes, proper nose radome for F-20 Tigershark radar, extra hardpoint under each wing for a AIM-9L, new canopy design similar to F-20. Project was cancelled because the upgrade was expensive and F-7P was found to be good enough to serve alongside the F-16, plus America's sanctions on China after 1989 Tienanmen Square incident made the American contractors for the project pull out.

Sorry for long post, I understand if you do not have time to reply! :)

Sir, you obviously will know about the F-20 Tigershark (an advanced F-5) being offered to Pakistan with licence production before F-16 was cleared for sale. Of course PAF pushed for the F-16. My questions are:

- Assuming no sanctions, would the F-20 have been a good choice for Pakistan rather than F-16? (I think F-16 was originally bought to take out India's nuclear facilities, so no because F-20 would not have enough range.)
- Would F-20 have been a good choice in addition to F-16? I think yes because of PAF's efforts to develop F-7 Sabre II (Project Sabre II) and JF-17, which are both similar in many ways to F-20)

Also, can you tell us more about Project Sabre II or show me any good sources you have found about it? From what I have found so far (very little), I know it was an F-7 with side-intakes, proper nose radome for F-20 Tigershark radar, extra hardpoint under each wing for a AIM-9L, new canopy design similar to F-20. Project was cancelled because the upgrade was expensive and F-7P was found to be good enough to serve alongside the F-16, plus America's sanctions on China after 1989 Tienanmen Square incident made the American contractors for the project pull out.

Sorry for long post, I understand if you do not have time to reply! :)

I will go over it in details while you read this

High-performance jet fighter, fully armed with missiles, guns. ECM equipment, fresh paint (stars and bars painted over), single seat, 97% reliability rate, will outclimb, outturn F-16, outrun F-14, low fuel burn (relatively), all digital avionics, radar, terrain following, INS, GPS, Tacan, used only for testing and sales promotion. Now in storage.
Contact Northrop Corp. Will trade for Mig-25 and home address of Air Force Acquisition officer.

— ad found in 'Pacific Flyer' magazine, shortly after the F-20 program was cancelled.

Haider I flew the F-5 but we didn't put Pakistani flag on them, that PS.
I flew the F-5 for maybe 10 min than we were ordered to land ASAP because it didn't have the ejection Cartridges in them. After that we never flew them and returned them with thanks.

Can you please mention that when did the F-5s arrive? I mean during the 1971 war or after it.

On the following page of US National Security Archive, we find the transfer date as 29 December, which is well after the cease-fire of 16 December 1971.

The Tilt: The U.S. and the South Asian Crisis of 1971

Document 44
United States Embassy (Tehran), Cable, F-5 Aircraft to Pakistan, Secret, December 29, 1971, 3 pp. Includes DOD cable.
Source: NPMP, NSC Files, Indo-Pak War, Box 575

Embassy Iran reports that three F-5A Fighter aircraft, reportedly from the United States, had been flown to Pakistan to assist in the war efforts against India.

Pilots and Sir Murad....what you think about avionic after looking at this Chengdu JF17 ad...is it very much similar to F16,,,can't say anything about performance..

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
The F-5s has a funny story behind it.
Flt Lt Naeem took off and after about 2 min we see the OC flying running towards the Flight ops.
"So what happend Sir" "Tell that ediot to land the dame plane it does not have an ejection system installed in it:eek: we just found out they just told us a few min ago". :lol: so actualy flytime of F-5 over a PAF base is 4 min. appox.

Sir Murad, could u please share some stories like this one u just mentioned above... or start a new forum to invite people to share their experinces like dealing with emergencies, arrival of other country's airplanes & their pilots.... like in 1978 US f-15 came in pakistan...etc

Sir Murad, could u please share some stories like this one u just mentioned above... or start a new forum to invite people to share their experinces like dealing with emergencies, arrival of other country's airplanes & their pilots.... like in 1978 US f-15 came in pakistan...etc

F-15 came to Pakistan a lot of times, The most important thing was we always had a better kill ratio with our fighters against F-15 and I am not talking about F-16s, but Mirages , F-6, F-7p. May be it was luck may be tactics. When I went against it I thing both luck and tactics were on my side that day the F-15 pilots were too confident and used to make lot of errors thinking its a superior fighter.

F-15 came to Pakistan a lot of times, The most important thing was we always had a better kill ratio with our fighters against F-15 and I am not talking about F-16s, but Mirages , F-6, F-7p. May be it was luck may be tactics. When I went against it I thing both luck and tactics were on my side that day the F-15 pilots were too confident and used to make lot of errors thinking its a superior fighter.

Saudi F-15 ( I mean pilots) or USAF F-15? and what year approximately was that?

hi! i scrolled through the Pakistan AWACs/AEW&Cs Aircrafts thread.. but couldnt find a definative post which shows
1]the paf specific chanes in Erieye as compared to other countries.. suppose say brazil?.

2]In the newer posts on net, also the Erieye is called AEW&Cs.. .what was done to upgrade standard Erieye to make it become AEW&Cs from just AWACs..what upgrades were done?[was the seating arrangement increased in the front only?]

3]paf also has the same upgraded AEW&Cs

4]how much effect will Erieye ' AEW&Cs' have against phalcon?
thanks

Last edited:
Questions to Professionals!

I was thinking recently about the ongoing war in few of our troubled Northern areas, and I was also thinking about the usefulness of an AC-130 gunship that PAK can possibly use to deliver a bigger knock out punch in addition to the one that it is already giving to the taliban guys.:)

As you already know that AC-130's have performed support missions in Iraq and Afghanistan and taken out a lot of bad guys in areas difficult to reach, like remote mountainous regions, so I have really 2 questions not just one;

1. Is it feasible for PAK to go for some of these AC-130 gunships given the scenario we are facing today?:what:

2. Also if it goes for them, how many aircraft do you think would be enough for PAK?:what:

Questions to Professionals!

I was thinking recently about the ongoing war in few of our troubled Northern areas, and I was also thinking about the usefulness of an AC-130 gunship that PAK can possibly use to deliver a bigger knock out punch in addition to the one that it is already giving to the taliban guys.:)

As you already know that AC-130's have performed support missions in Iraq and Afghanistan and taken out a lot of bad guys in areas difficult to reach, like remote mountainous regions, so I have really 2 questions not just one;

1. Is it feasible for PAK to go for some of these AC-130 gunships given the scenario we are facing today?:what:

2. Also if it goes for them, how many aircraft do you think would be enough for PAK?:what:

We already have 2 modified by Peru, notice the Gatling gun space on the C-130 when it came to UK painted with relief photos. 1 in Karachi and 1 in chaklala. Right now they are busy with relief camps dropping food.

Back
Top Bottom