What's new

Air Force Question Thread

ROSE Mirages are fairly advanced 3rd gen combat jets. Got some links for ROSE info:
Pakistan Military Consortium :: www.PakDef.info

Also, this article on Mirage ROSE (Retrofit Of Strike Element) upgrade program was posted on the forum by M Ahmed:

The avionics upgrade project named the 'Retrofit of Strike Element' (ROSE was conceived in 1992 and commenced effectually from April 1995. The avionics package included Inertial Navigation System, Head Up Display, Airborne Video Tape Recording System, and self protection systems like RWR, Chaff and Flares. A modern airborne radar, the Griffo-M was also retorfitted. When the Americans released 360 AIM-9L missiles under the Brown Amendment, it was decided that the Mirages being upgraded and equipped with the Griffo-M radar must also be made capable of carrying the AIM-9L missiles. The hardware modification of this project had been completed, but its software was under development. The SAGEM company, which was carrying out the upgradation of the Mirages, had developed their own Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR) Pod. They needed to carry out the proto-typing of this equipment on an aircraft, free of cost, so that if found fit, the PAF could buy them. FLIR modification on these aircraft was also in progress.

Of the forty-five aircraft eventually recovered at PAC Kamra, there were seven dual-seat models that were allotted to No. 5 Squadron. Out of the forty-two single-seat Mirages, thirty-two with ROSE configuration, were allotted to No. 7 and CCS Squadrons. Four aircraft belonging to Photo Reconnaissance category and an additional aircraft were recovered and allotted to the No. 5 Squadron. One aircraft crahsed prior to ROSE modification and the remaininf five aircraft were found beyond recovery and were reduced to spares.

In the second half of 1992, the PAF had a genuine concern over the gap that would be created by the phasing out of the A-5s in 1997. After considering various courses, the purchase and re-lifting of some used Mirages seemed a practical option. The sources included Belgium, Spain, France, Lebanon and Zaire. In 1995, the planners at Air Headquarters established an operational requirement for at least fifty such aircraft. On the directive of the CAS, the feasibility of a package of forty Mirages was validated and the case for allocation of funds was taken up. The government released the necessary funds.

In order to reliably assess the physical condition of these Mirages, a PAF team visited Spain, France and Lebanon, while the Air Attache in Paris was asked to inspect the Belgian aircraft. During their visits, the team inspected seventy-one Mirages and submitted their report. Similarly, the Defence and Technical Attache in Paris inspected twenty-five aircraft from SABCA, Belgium.

On 25 May, 1995, after a post visit presentation to the Air Board, the CAS approved the formation of a project team to manage all aspects related to a cost effective induction of about forty Mirages in the PAF fleet. These aircraft were to be of a single varient, capable of a surface attack role, not exceeding a total cost of $120 million, and were to form two viable and homogenous squadrons, fully suportable with the PAF maintenance resources and infrastructure.

The project team obtained proposals for the intended purchase of Mirages from all the potential vendors, and simultaneously launched a market study. The PAF's own overhauling experiences in Kamra were kept in view to work out the expected costs of each aircraft and the related project. During a visit to France in 1995, the project team was pleasantly surprised to learn that forty Mirage Vs and about forty Mirage IIIs of the French Air Force were available for sale at quite a reasonable price. The French Mirage V suited the PAF requirement because of its longer range and additional payload. Later, through various coordination meeting in Pakistan, the PAF and AIRCO worked out a detailed proposal which included the required statement of work. Representatives from the French DGA and the French Air Force accompanied the AIRCO team, to demostrate their full support to the PAF-AIRCO agreements and obligations.

SAGEM is a French company that has Defence and Security Division as one of its main branches. In this division, SAGEM specializes in three specific categories, i.e. inertial navigation, electro-optic equipment, and system integration. In Project ROSE, the PAF was already acquiring thirty-six Mirages upgraded by SAGEM through their inertial navigation and system integration departments. In August 1995, SAGEM combined their upgrade skills with the potential sales opportunity, and proposed to the PAF a package deal of forty Mirages at a quoted cost of $150 million.

As the SAGEM proposal became more and more attractive and feasible, the PAF negotiated a further reduction in costs so that they actually fell into its feasibility regime. Through numerous discussions, SAGEM came up with a revised proposal of $124 million in November 1995. According to this proposal, the package was to consist of thirty-four Mirage Vs and six dual-seat Mirage IIIs, making a total of forty fully overhauled aircraft. Out of the forty aircraft, twenty Mirage Vs would be mordanized to the ROSE-II standards (ROSE-II modification is the same as ROSE-I, except the Griffo-M radar is replaced by FLIR). The engines installed on the aircraft would have a minimum life of four years and 300 hours. The package would also include the required ground support, alternate mission equipment, and line replaceable units. Besides, the kits for RWR, CFD and GPS would be installed in all aircraft.

Keeping in view the overall SAGEM package vis-a-vis quoted prices, the offer appeared quite viable to the PAF. According to a conservative estimate, the cost of this package should have been atleast $146 million. On 27 December 1995, the PAF gave the go ahead, and the contract for the forty Mirages was signed on 1 February 1996 for a total amount of 118 million.

This deal had become somewhat controversial mainly due to the misreporting of the press. The PAF preferred to have the necessary modifications done in France because PAC Kamra was, during that time frame, already busy overhauling the PAF's Mirages. Accepting any additional work would have unnecessarily deplayed the delivery of the French Mirages to the PAF wothout making any difference in cost.

SAGEM encountered problems on purchase of spares which they needed for the timely and efficient running of their work. Thus the programme suffered delays during most of 1997 and 1998. However, the company managed to get the first batch ready by September 1998, when PAF pilots ferried across eight Mirages on 22 September 1998. A second batch of eight was recieved in 1999 while the third batch of eight came to Pakistan on 22 June 2000. The deliveries of the rest were supposed to be completed by the end of the year 2000.

Another thing I found, Air Weapons Complex makes an Infra-Red Search and Track system for Mirages:

PAF’s capabilities to be enhanced, says Gilani

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani on Wednesday assured the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) that the government would provide all necessary resources for enhancing PAF’s professional capabilities.

The prime minister gave this assurance while talking to the Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mehmood Ahmad, who called on him here at the PM House.Gilani said the PAF had always played an important role in the defence of the country in addition to providing vital support to the civil administration in relief and rehabilitation efforts during natural calamities. During the meeting, Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mehmood apprised the prime minister of various measures taken by the PAF to optimise its effectiveness and efficiency.

He also informed the prime minister about the ongoing projects for upgrading the PAF. APP adds: Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani directed Pakistan’s ambassador designate to the Netherlands to focus on improving Pakistan’s bilateral relations. Talking to ambassador-designate Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry, who called on him on Wednesday before leaving on his new assignment, Gilani directed him to try to seek the inclusion of the Netherlands in the ‘Friends of Democratic Pakistan Group’.

The prime minister noted that the ambassador designate had been working as a focal person for the group that had been meeting to prepare for the Donors’ Conference, likely to be held in Tokyo next month. Gilani noted that the Netherlands had emerged as the fourth largest investor and the fifth major buyer of Pakistan’s products in the EU during the last fiscal year.

He appreciated that the Netherlands had more than doubled its development assistance for Pakistan after the induction of the new democratic government, which it had suspended after imposition of emergency in 2007.

He underlined the importance of high-level exchanges for strengthening the Pakistan-Netherlands ties and hoped that special efforts would be made during the tenure of the ambassador designate to promote people-to-people contacts.

PAF’s capabilities to be enhanced, says Gilani

I didn't see a thread about PAF discussion and didnt want to open a new one so decided to put this here.

Does anyone else feels that ACM Tanvir Mahmood has been meeting PM or president very often of late? like on a weekly or fortnightly basis? Sounds unusual to me. I know of the Mumbai drama and all that, but I see the meetings unusual.
And now Zardari will be in China from Feb 20. Could we hear some news about FC-20s?

If Zardari will be in china after 20feb, he will not ask abt FC-20, he will ask for rokhra(money)!!

If Zardari will be in china after 20feb, he will not ask abt FC-20, he will ask for rokhra(money)!!

Government approved purchase of FC-20 in 2007. It is supposed to be delivered in 2009-2010. Do some research before posting.

Government approved purchase of FC-20 in 2007. It is supposed to be delivered in 2009-2010. Do some research before posting.

No bro!:tsk: We are not buying J-10a's, we are buying J10b, and J-10b is not yet officially completed!! And no order have been inked!!!

We are not buying J-10a's, we are buying J10b

Are you sure about this? The J-10B, like you said, is still under development. We are supposed to have our FC-20s soon (by the end of this year, I believe). It seems a little far fetched to expect the Chinese to sell you a plane that they themselves have not yet finished and inducted.

More and more I'm starting to think that the first 36 FC-20s might be regular old J-10A upgrades. But I hope I am wrong.

Are you sure about this? The J-10B, like you said, is still under development. We are supposed to have our FC-20s soon (by the end of this year, I believe). It seems a little far fetched to expect the Chinese to sell you a plane that they themselves have not yet finished and inducted.

More and more I'm starting to think that the first 36 FC-20s might be regular old J-10A upgrades. But I hope I am wrong.

The ACM said that an agreement would be inked in the next 12 months...that means an agreement would be reached this year...but when the planes start arriving will take much longer.

Besides, what's it that much that the J10b will have that the J10a won't? Especially if we will be going with western avionics and radars and weapons? The only things that would/could be missing, as I feel it , is a DSI and TVC and those are just possibilities not confirmed.

I think most of our JF-17s would be cost effective, numerical additives, but at least one or two batches will go for top-of-the-line gadgets....and it would make all the more sense if our gadgets for that advanced batch of JF-17 and J-10 be similar for logistics reason.

can someone please dig out the JF-17 picture in hanger it was posted in this forum..

Has anyone heard of different variations of the JF-17? Considering that it's going to form the backbone of the Pakistan Air Force, could a strike/bomber/attack version be in the works? Mabye similar to the F-15 vs. F-15E?

according to SDF, an attack version is being focused on right now particularly as it is an interest of PLAAF.

thanks! and on a related note, how does one thank someone in this forum? i see a detail below people's profile that says "thanked x times in y posts," but have no idea how to thank someone "properly."

ok firstly our ACM is leaving by the end of next month sorry infact by the 10th of March....so yes he is meeting e is meeting the President and Prime minster regularly...secondly no contract has been inked regarding the J10s period so no we r not getting any by next year or whatever... let us ink a contract and wait 2 years for them to come through....thank you...and yes for thanking someone u go to the persons posts look down on the right side and click thanks.....and now can someone tell me how i can change my avatar...?

thanks! and on a related note, how does one thank someone in this forum? i see a detail below people's profile that says "thanked x times in y posts," but have no idea how to thank someone "properly."

there is a button on the right hand side of ever post labeled 'thanks' (with a thumbs up icon)

now can someone tell me how i can change my avatar...?

Go to "User CP" Which is on the top left of the page, then it display a list on left side, choose "Edit Avatar" that link and change your avatar!!
Thanks!!:)

Back
Top Bottom