What's new

Air Force Question Thread

Regarding the coal fired power plants, I read somewhere that Pakistan has lots of coal reserves (recently discovered I think). Why can't these be utilised by building modern coal-fired powerplants that are more efficient and less polluting (through use of gas scrubbers for example) than old plants? Surely this would benefit the economy as well as the power grid, the coal mining operations would give employment to many unskilled people. Of course full reliance on coal is a bad idea and it should be treated as a short term solution.

Not to go off the topic, anybody have the latest info on the refuellers, Erieyes and number of JF-17 in Pakistan?

This may sound stupid but do the Eyeries have air-refueling capabilities or would they have to land and refuel. Also when are the JF-17's expected to get IOC b/c i thought the 8 that were delivered were to be used to integrate weapons and other systems.
Thanks!

This may sound stupid but do the Eyeries have air-refueling capabilities or would they have to land and refuel. Also when are the JF-17's expected to get IOC b/c i thought the 8 that were delivered were to be used to integrate weapons and other systems.
Thanks!

about the eyeries refueling part i dont think they need one as there flying time is already good enoug, but i dont know the exact answer to you question,

as per the JF17 status, yes the current fleet of 10 is being used to integrate weapons and are actually in evaluation phase, they may be particularly being evaluated for ground support role as they first squadrons are said to be replacing the A5 land attack squadrons, some are under production and it is stated the the first squadron of the JF17 comprising of 18~19 aircrafts will be operational by the first quarter of 2009 that means by march-april,,,so it may well be COMMING SOON,

i would love to see these birds flying, fully operational by April!!
:pakistan:

How many plants are producing the JF-17? If its just one like it is for many aircraft that seems like an awful lot of aircraft to be churned out so quickly. Im going to assume that the were partially assembled kits from the Chengdu factory that's how 18 aircraft will be built so quickly.

There's a new plant built at PAC Kamra for the production of JF-17 with the capacity of 20-25 aircraft per annum.

Inaugural Ceremony to launch the manufacturing of JF-17 Thunder sub-Assemblies was held today at PAC Kamra. Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed, Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force was the chief guest on this historical occasion. The ceremony commemorates yet another milestone in the Pakistan China Military Cooperation.

Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed, Chief of the Air Staff, speaking on the occasion said “I am committed to ensuring that PAC quickly gears up its resources to take up its share of co-production. I am looking forward to achieving, within one year, a capability of producing 15 JF-17 aircraft annually. This would then have to be enhanced to 20-25 aircraft in 2-3 years’ time. I am also looking forward to the establishment of the first JF-17 Operational Conversion Unit in PAF by the end of this year.” He also said, “I would like to remind every one _ especially, the personnel of Pakistan Aeronautical Complex_of the challenge and promise of success that lie ahead, as you embark upon the coveted goal of manufacturing. Not many people are afforded an opportunity to be part of the major and prestigious national programme such as the JF-17 Thunder aircraft. It is for you to seize the opportunity and make your nation proud. He further said, “I take pride in this joint venture between the People’s Republic of China and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.”

The JF-17 Thunder project clearly envisages co-production of the aircraft both in China and Pakistan. The objective of setting up of JF-17 production facilities at PAC Kamra is not only to enhance the PAF’s operational capability at affordable price but also create employment opportunities for about 5000 people. In line with the original plan, the manufacturing of sub-assemblies for the JF-17 Thunder is being launched at PAC Kamra on 22 January, 2008. This would, indeed, be a red letter day in the history of PAC. The production of sub-assemblies would be, subsequently, expanded to encompass the parts manufacturing, final assembly and flight testing. Fighter aircraft manufacturing, which was once a closely guarded realm of developed countries only, is now well within our reach. The success, today, stands on the foundations of the perseverance of our pilots, engineers and technicians and their Chinese counterparts. The landmark achievement is not only a source of pride for the Pakistani nation but also a measure of rare distinction for the country to have joined a select group of nations having indigenous fighter aircraft production capability.

I am also looking forward to the establishment of the first JF-17 Operational Conversion Unit in PAF by the end of this year.”

first OCU by end of 2009 but no mention of the first re-equipment of one of the A-5 sqdns (16 or 26) by the end of april 2009 (as mentioned in the ACMs interview to AFM).

Deat All,

I want to know about Mirrage ROSE upgrade process?
Its current status?
and do you think after upgradation how much and how many of these birds can be put equal to the 4th and 4.5th generations eagles?
and How long these birds can serve Pakistan?

This is misplaced here as a new member introduction thread. B:usflag:ut Welcome!!

Deat All,

Its current status?
and do you think after upgradation how much and how many of these birds can be put equal to the 4th and 4.5th generations eagles?

Deat All,

Its current status?

Regarding the coal fired power plants, I read somewhere that Pakistan has lots of coal reserves (recently discovered I think). Why can't these be utilised by building modern coal-fired powerplants that are more efficient and less polluting (through use of gas scrubbers for example) than old plants? Surely this would benefit the economy as well as the power grid, the coal mining operations would give employment to many unskilled people. Of course full reliance on coal is a bad idea and it should be treated as a short term solution.

Not to go off the topic, anybody have the latest info on the refuellers, Erieyes and number of JF-17 in Pakistan?

Hi,

Off topic----

I believe that thar coal was either discovered or worked by the germans. I can be corrected---the germans offered to develop the field---process coal to "coal gas" and use it for power generation. The german had the most experience in this field----but the pakistanis----we took it from the hands of victory and put it into the jaws of defeat---the project was re-negotiated---chinese got involved---the germans got sidelined and kicked out---chinese came in---they didnot have any experience----they just wanted a piece of the pie.

Thar coal project is just a black hole in pakistan.

Deat All,

Its current status?

I don't know how many of the Mirages are being upgraded but they should be upgraded to 4th generation status. They can't become 4.5 gen aircraft, but it doesn't mean that they won't be potent. They should serve another 10-15+ years with the Pakistani air force.

Back
Top Bottom